UKC

Mountain Equipment Lightline Vs Trango

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taxboy 12 Feb 2023

As per the title. Does anyone have experience of these jackets and can advise the differences please. I can buy the Lightline in store but the Trango will have to be an online purchase 

TIA

PJ2398 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Taxboy:

I’ve recently got the Trango for a trip to the Himalayas, and have previously owned an older version of the Lightline.

The Trango is definitely warmer due to the internal baffling design covering the stitch-through, a more technical jacket (slimmer cut) and slightly lighter. The Lightline was a decent jacket too and will do the job, but I would say it is aimed as much at the ‘about town’ market as it is at cold weather mountaineers. I wasn’t a fan of the detachable hood either, if you’re taking it on an expedition.

I’ve had a large in both and they fit well. I’m 6’2”, 13.5 stone, 42 inch chest and 34 inch waist. They are both over layering/outer layer jackets- I couldn’t get a waterproof over either of them although, if it’s raining, you wouldn’t be wearing either of them.

It really depends what you want to use it for, I guess.

LastBoyScout 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Taxboy:

I've had the Lightline for years - bought originally when I went to Canada and needed a warm jacket, also worn it in Nepal.

As PJ said, it's stitch-through construction, whereas the Trango is full box-wall, so will be that much warmer.

I personally like the detachable hood, as for my usage, I prefer a warm hat - I actually can't remember using the hood anywhere, although I'm sure I've carried it. I do run "hot" though.

Definitely won't get a waterproof over it. Not sure if the current version is hydrophobic down - mine definitely isn't. You will look like the Michelin man in it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...