UKC

Please recommend a tent to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Beaton 14 Feb 2023

Please give me your personal recommendations for a 1 or 2 person tent with the following features:

- At least 3 season, ie can cope with wet and windy Welsh Easter weekends but not necessarily full on Scottish winter conditions

- Decent sized porch for cooking in safely from the comfort of my sleeping bag

- Packed size and weight irrelevant as I'll be car camping

- Ideally under £200

Cheers

leon 1 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

https://alpkit.com/products/tetri

Great little tent especially at that price 

Flinticus 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

No idea but with size and weight irrelevant, a bit of research should throw up loads of options, given that size and weight are the most crucial limitations when 'tent filtering' ! As there's no counter equivalent to backpackinglight.com, good luck!

OwenM 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Vango halo 2 or if you want a bit more room halo 3.

Post edited at 08:07
OP Sam Beaton 14 Feb 2023
In reply to leon 1:

That's winning for me so far, thanks. Any more suggestions?

LastBoyScout 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Vango have some with an extended porch - I loved my Equinox 250, the nearest equivalent seems to be the Skye 300+:

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equipment/3054-scafell-300-plus.html

In reply to Sam Beaton:

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/products/hoolie-compact-3/

I've got one of those for car camping and most definitely did not pay that much for it!! 

Comfortably fits my Alpkit double dozer, very comfy.

Jenny C 14 Feb 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

We've used our equinox 350 for everything from VERY windy N.Wales to a month in the Dolomites. High enough to sit upright, but low enough to withstand wind.

Roomy for two, even in bad weather when you are living within the confines of the tent. Outer has two opposing doors so great for unpredictable wind directions, plus enough space to store cooking equipment and cook in the dry away from the sleeping area.

J101 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Berghaus Grampian 2. Geodesic so tough in the wind, big for one person, porch at either end, and if you keep checking blacks / millets for sales then you should get one for sub £200 without having to wait too long.

Done well over 100 nights in one over a few years, mostly west coast of Scotland and North Wales and it's held up really well.

Post edited at 12:27
 Lankyman 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

The old Vango Force 10 (the clue is in the name) might suit you if you can pick one up? Literally bomb proof, spacious but a bit dark inside on a dull day. I may soon be offloading my second - second-hand one ...

jimtitt 14 Feb 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Vango have some with an extended porch - I loved my Equinox 250, the nearest equivalent seems to be the Skye 300+:

I use the Vango Spey 300+ when motocycle camping, the arched porch allows one to sit inside on a camp chair when cooking or drinking beer.  My brother has something similar from Vango for canoe camping for the same reason.

LastBoyScout 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

I've got a couple of chairs that look like this, although not from this company (same design, different colours - rebadged multiple times, etc) and they're great for lurking in the porch:

https://www.unibos.co.uk/folding-low-seat-beach-chair-camping-chair.html

OP Sam Beaton 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to go with the alpkit

In reply to Sam Beaton:

I recently bought a WC Helm 1 as my 1 person. Small but I’m 6’1 & I fit. Minimal porches just enough for rucksack & boots.

I’ve had a Vaude Terratrio2 as my 2 person for years & that’s been great.

Kalna_kaza 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Recommendations can be fickle bit I can strongly suggest you AVOID the Alpkit Soloist. Great pack size, weight, cost and sturdiness if pitched correctly. HOWEVER the porch is the nylon equivalent of an inverse vanishing point with one way zips. I.e. short, small and guaranteed to get you and your gear wet in the morning.

Tony Buckley 17 Feb 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

> . . . given that size and weight are the most crucial limitations when 'tent filtering'

When you're over six feet tall, both take a lower rank than the size of the tent's interior.

For the OP, I'd start by looking round the Vango website and then expand from there if needed.  You might want to ponder the convenience of an all-in-one flysheet and inner pitching together against inner pitching first; the first is so much more convenient in British weather that I wouldn't use anything else, but your view may differ.

T.

Post edited at 15:48
 Moacs 17 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

If size and weight are truly irrelevant, get a marquee.

Root1 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Needlesports has some Trango 2s on offer.

You can get full on conditions in Spring and Autumn. It seems there are Summer tents and four season tents only.

Lankyman 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Root1:

> Needlesports has some Trango 2s on offer.

> You can get full on conditions in Spring and Autumn. It seems there are Summer tents and four season tents only.

It very much depends on where you pitch. On one of my first Cairngorms backpacks (August) our 'three season' Trisar blew flat. It did rebound each time but the poles had a permanent curve where they shouldn't have. We soon ditched it for a Macpac Olympus which was bombproof.

Sharp 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Just get any cheap 2 person tent. If weight isn't an issue then you wont gain much with a more expensive tent. If it's windy, pitch it on the lee side of your car but for a small tent you're unlikely to have a lot of issues with wind anyway. 

Tents are insanely overpriced. I have a gelert solo which I was going to recommend but it would be unnecessarily small for car camping. I have used it for high winter camps in scotland and it's stood up to some heavy abuse and high winds over about 20 years. A 4 season tent will get flattened if you pitch it badly, a small tent pitched well will stand up to a lot. Think it was £25 when I got it. You can pick up a very similar looking tent for about £60 now, or you could spend £500 on a modern lightweight model. 

The highlander blackthorn 2 would be a good option for you. Similar size, weight and material spec to the tetri but half the price. 

Post edited at 12:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...