UKC

Easy slabby multipitch near Stirling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Looking to take my partner up some nice friendly routes. We are based in Stirling. Don't mind a bit of a drive if need be. All the local rock is generally around HVS or above from what I can see, bar a few routes, so not great for us. Open minded to anything from upper grade scrambles to HVDiff? Ideally a few pitches. 

If that's not too much to ask xD Thanks in advance  

Gav_92 14 Feb 2023
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Dunkeld polny crag

Andrew23 15 Feb 2023

Not as good as the dunkeld suggestion, but it js possible to string together some low grade pitches to make a multi-pitch climb on Ben A'an. Quite a fun wee outing. 

girlymonkey 15 Feb 2023

We first did the SE ridge of the cobbler as our first multipitch. It's only really a scramble, Mod and Diff, but we roped it to just get a feel for the rope work and it was a really pleasant day out 🙂

In reply to girlymonkey:

The Cobbler looks like good fun. Any recommendations on guidebooks for the formation? 

girlymonkey 22 Feb 2023

I honestly can't remember what guidebook we used. It was a long time ago. Sorry!

I seem to remember it being a fairly obvious and instinctive line, so maybe we just kind of made it up as we went along? Not really sure now. 

alan moore 22 Feb 2023

Hour and a half to Glencoe (20 mins further than The Cobbler). No end of long, easy routes there.

TobyA 22 Feb 2023

>  Any recommendations on guidebooks for the formation? 

Whichever SMC guidebook now covers the Southern Highlands. Or their Rock Climbs in Scotland best of guide. I suspect the Latter guide that covers the southern half of Scotland has it too.

The descent off the South Peak of the Cobbler is a little tricky first time you do it, but once down to the col you might as well go and scramble the central summit too - that's a fun and novel little route.

Mark Bull 22 Feb 2023

What you are looking for is in rather short supply in the Central Lowlands and Southern Highlands, I'm afraid. The Ben A'an link up is fun, but the hardest pitch is HS (Birch Wall (HS 4a). Polney (Dunkeld) has a few good VDiffs, but mostly (longish) single pitch and the easiest/safest descent is by abseil. The Cobbler is a good suggestion, but needs decent summer weather to be at all pleasant. Glen Coe has some great easy classics, though many of the descents are quite complex and/or awkward: scrambles such as Curved Ridge (Summer) (M)North Buttress (Grade-3) and Broad Buttress (Grade-2) are very good though. It's a bit further to go, but perhaps Polldubh (Glen Nevis) would be a good venue for you? Some good easy slabby multipitch with generally straightforward access and descents. 

Wee Davie 22 Feb 2023

Sou' Wester Slabs on Cir Mhor (Arran) has to be one of the best easier graded multi- pitch routes in the UK. Absolutely superb and a quality mountain day out as well. 

In reply to Wee Davie:

Looks like a cracker, on the wishlist!!

andrew ogilvie 24 Feb 2023
In reply to alan moore:

But not if you intend to drive past the Cobbler on the way to Glencoe...you wont get to Glencoe from Arrochar in 20 minutes unless you have a helicopter or Formula 1 car (and I suspect the F1 car wouldn't make it up Loch Lomond side due to the lamentable road surface)

alan moore 25 Feb 2023
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

> But not if you intend to drive past the Cobbler on the way to Glencoe...

OP is in Stirling though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...