UKC

Tiny phone that uses 4G

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abcdef 23 Feb 2023

God knows how, but the fact that 2G and 3G will be getting switched off fairly soon must have passed me by....

Anyway, right now I have a small JCB mobile that uses 2G which I mainly carry when running, which I call-forward to from my normal phone. I am looking to get a 4G replacement, but have criteria:

1. sub-100g and small to fit in hand and forget

2. some form of IP rating

Buttons are fine as doesn't need to be a smart phone. Currently I have a lanyard hole - that would be handy, but can probably superglue an alternative attachment point if necessary so not essential.

Have seen small Nokia's etc, but they don't seem to have any waterproofing. There are more modern JCB/Caterpillar 'rugged work phone' options, but they all seem larger and heavier.

Does what I'm looking for exist?

Harry Jarvis 23 Feb 2023
In reply to abcdef:

Try the Unihertz Atom. At 106g, it's a tiny bit over your 100g requirement, but it may be suitable. 

Post edited at 16:32
 CantClimbTom 23 Feb 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Come on Harry, 6g over...

That's 3 maltesers he's going to have to unpack from his rucksack now to make for that

OP abcdef 23 Feb 2023

looks pretty close to requirements, other than being 300 notes and hard to get in the UK

Post edited at 17:19
 montyjohn 23 Feb 2023
In reply to abcdef:

> looks pretty close to requirements, other than being 300 notes and hard to get in the UK

£200

On Amazon UK, delivered for tomorrow (free postage)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unihertz-Smallest-Rugged-Smartphone-Unlocked/dp/B0...

deepsoup 23 Feb 2023
In reply to abcdef:

> God knows how, but the fact that 2G and 3G will be getting switched off fairly soon must have passed me by....

The deadline for them being switched off is ten years away yet and while 3G may be disappearing quite soon there are a lot of devices other than phones reliant on 2G (smart meters for example) that are not so easily replaced.

I'm not so sure replacing your little phone is quite as urgent as all that, and depending on how much life there is left in it the 2G network might yet see it out, even if 3G does not.

hokkyokusei 23 Feb 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Have got one of those. Great little phone.

AlanLittle 23 Feb 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

> The deadline for them being switched off is ten years away yet and while 3G may be disappearing quite soon there are a lot of devices other than phones reliant on 2G (smart meters for example) that are not so easily replaced.

I work for a mobile phone company (not in the UK, but I guess the situation will be fairly similar). Can confirm that we switched off 3G but have no immediate plans to do away with 2G, both because of various non-phone devices as you mention, but also because of maintaining ubiquitous voice coverage.

Ridge 23 Feb 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

> The deadline for them being switched off is ten years away yet and while 3G may be disappearing quite soon there are a lot of devices other than phones reliant on 2G (smart meters for example) that are not so easily replaced.

> I'm not so sure replacing your little phone is quite as urgent as all that, and depending on how much life there is left in it the 2G network might yet see it out, even if 3G does not.

Don't forget the pagers!

In reply to abcdef:

This model seems quite small and apparently doesn’t need a lanyard: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/prisoner-tried-hide-mobile-ph...

mcawle 23 Feb 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Good to know you can still get tactile buttones…

Ciro 23 Feb 2023
In reply to abcdef:

I believe the traditional method of IP rating such devices is a knotted prophylactic?

The Norris 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> This model seems quite small and apparently doesn’t need a lanyard: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/prisoner-tried-hide-mobile-ph...

I don't know why but every time that article refers to his prison 'stretch' I wince a little.

OP abcdef 24 Feb 2023
In reply to abcdef:

OK, panic over for a while as it looks like 2G will be around longer than 3G so my handset will probably break before 2G.

mutt 24 Feb 2023
In reply to abcdef:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/24/new-mobile-puck-will-all... 

would one of those meet your needs ? Perhaps your existing mobile has bluetooth and compatibiltiy with the necessary app.

£99 and minute.

Dave Baker SP5 24 Feb 2023

> Try the Unihertz Atom. At 106g, it's a tiny bit over your 100g requirement, but it may be suitable. 

I have this phone as well, and give it a strong thumbs up.  It's small enough to forget you have it.  Camera is "good enough".  Battery life is nice.  Dual sim is convenient when travelling.  Comes with lanyard hole.  USB-C charging, as well!

You can go smaller + lighter with their other models (the jelly), but lose the waterproofness.

Post edited at 18:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...