UKC

Compact 3 season sleeping bag for 8 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Number18 23 Feb 2023

Hi

I'm hoping to do some 2 day hikes this year with my 8 year old daughter.  I'll obviously be carrying the vast majority of our gear.  I've recently bought a down sleeping bag for me which is very compact.  My daughter's current sleeping bag isn't compact enough.

I've had a very quick look online for a kids' down sleeping bag and failed to find anything.

Does anyone have any recommedations please?

J72 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Number18:

I had a similar challenge recently and ended up going for the Ayuchucho Sirius 250 - it’s not very compressible and weighs 1.2kg (pretty much double the size and nearly double the weight of my bag) but it does do the trick warmth wise which, with a little one in the tent, gives peace of mind.

we slept out in Jan here in Scotland and with some pyjamas on and a temp of 4-5c and windy in a drafty tent my son stayed cosy. Usual caveats around using a good sleeping mat and that everyone sleeps differently apply! 

MischaHY 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Number18:

The easiest choice you can make here (provided your daughter is well invested in the outdoors) is to simply buy a decent adult sized bag based on her expected adult height and then use a velcro strap or similar to shorten it around the feet to make it the appropriate length. This means you only ever need to buy one sleeping bag for her and can therefore invest a reasonable amount in a good quality bag with small pack size etc. 

I've been working in the outdoor industry for 6 years and this is the best solution I've found. It also offers the chance for recovering a reasonable chunk of money if she doesn't end up using it that much. 

Post edited at 08:21
 LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

While I agree with you in principle, the problem is that an adult bag is also very wide on a child - and, therefore, can be colder (more air to heat/more draughts).

Compromise is to go for a women's-specific down bag, which will be smaller than a men's bag overall.

Scout - also veteran of outdoor industry.

LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Number18:

> I'm hoping to do some 2 day hikes this year with my 8 year old daughter.  I'll obviously be carrying the vast majority of our gear.  I've recently bought a down sleeping bag for me which is very compact.  My daughter's current sleeping bag isn't compact enough.

> Does anyone have any recommedations please?

You carry her bag and she carries yours?

Rick Graham 24 Feb 2023

When the family was younger, smallest used to use my   alpine bivi waist high sleeping bag, called a pied de elephant . Down filled so quite light and compressable , 48 inches long , 24 wide at top, 18 wide at base. It went to Nepal after the earthquake but I know the dims as I made a lighter synthetic replacement. 

Another option is to butcher a synthetic sleeping bag, cut it to size and restitch without a zip, about ten minutes with a sewing machine and scissors. 

MischaHY 24 Feb 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Perhaps I assumed too much when assuming that a female would automatically get a female bag 😂 Good addition. 

top cat 25 Feb 2023

Rather than using bungie etc to shorten an adult bag , just tuck it under and back on itself,thus adding insulation underneath

OP Number18 25 Feb 2023
In reply to Number18:

Thanks all.

The women’s sleeping bag option seems a good shout to me.  I guess there are a few options for making it work for an 8 year old.  If me other way I’d heard about but for an adult if a sleeping bag was too long was stuffing anything you can to the bottom of the bag, eg a coat or spare clothes to occupy the space so it does need heating by body heat.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...