UKC

The end of Eurosport.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 23 Feb 2023

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcasting/tnt-sports-what-we-know-so-far/...

Eurosport is to be merged with BT Sport as part of TNT Sports in 2024. From the article above it looks as if you'll have to pay through the nose for a reduced level of cycling output as part of a " Premium Sports Package". 

I suppose they need more contributions for the billions they'll be paying for the football rights.

Personally I don't subscribe to BT sports at the moment because I don't give a flying one about any of the stuff they show. Hopefully ITV or C4 will continue to cover the major tours and someone similar to GCN will pick up the Classics and smaller tours.

PaulW 24 Feb 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

That is not good news. Eurosport as part of a cheap bundle is great but I wouldn't pay BT Sport prices.

GCN+ might be the answer

j_duds 24 Feb 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

Will eurosport/BT/TNT cover different cycling races to GCN? 

GCN maybe the answer for cycling, but what about alpine skiing races that are on eurosport this winter. 

nniff 24 Feb 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

This is not good.  My wife however will consider that the TV is now fixed because apparently it only seems to be able to show cycling.  I won't pay for a football centric package.

GCN, i suppose

Richard Horn 24 Feb 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

I have already lost access to the Eurosport Player on my apple TV (which I use on the turbo), although it works ok on our main TV. Their solution - get a Discovery+ sub (in parallel you understand, no refund on the Eurosport sub which still has 1/2 a year to run...). But now it sounds like the situation is changing again....

In reply to cragtyke:

This makes me sad. Although not an avid watcher of the cycling, I do have fond memories of watching MotoGP on EuroSport with my dad in the previous millennium. 

The times they are a'changin'

Post edited at 10:46
In reply to cragtyke:

I think Discovery plus is where you can see all of eurosports cycling content now

Nic Barber 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Richard Horn:

Eurosportplayer is no more but if you use the same login on eurosport you can still watch the channels and on demand.

I noticed that Biathlon coverage was much less on Eurosport this winter, but it's all available on the IBU webpage.

I've never signed up to GCN+ as I get all the cycling you need on Eurosport, plus anything else I'm interested in (mainly winter sports) and I'm not interested in their extra documentaries etc. However GCN+ will eb the place to go if everything goes BT/Sky prices.

JLS 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

>"However GCN+ will eb the place to go if everything goes BT/Sky prices."

Is it clear that GCN with remain largely unaffected by these changes?

I've never been all that clear on the Eurosport GCN corporate relationship and how it works.

I'm currently sighed up with Eurosport for cycling (and by chance the climbing world cups).

It'll be a shame to lose the live climbing but otherwise I'd be happy to migrate to GCN+ if it's still going to exist in its current form.

TobyA 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

> I've never signed up to GCN+ as I get all the cycling you need on Eurosport,

I've just cancelled my GCN+ subscription because I wasn't using it enough. I paid 15 quid I think it was the first year when they launched, and 30 quid-ish last year. I was more interested in the documentaries but I did watch a few bits of racing on it. But I'm still swiping away numerous race starting notifications on my phone each day. Is there much racing that they don't have? I didn't really realise how much televised racing there is.

And TdF will be on ITV4 again this year won't it?

subtle 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> I think Discovery plus is where you can see all of eurosports cycling content now

I read that as Disney plus at first and was a bit confused!

jayme 01 Mar 2023
In reply to JLS:

GCN and Eurosport are both owned by Discovery.

I think TNT is a discovery channel in America and the rebranding is to go to the American name like Snickers...

JLS 01 Mar 2023
In reply to jayme:

So it seems likely that GCN+ will go the way of Eurosport and the we are likely to be offered a more expensive package with additional content we don't necessarily want.

Richard Horn 01 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

The problem for me is Apple TV has no web browser, so it was Eurosport app or nothing unfortunately

Having said that I guess as long as I can get it showing on a web browser on my Iphone, I can mirror over... bingo

ianstevens 01 Mar 2023
In reply to JLS:

> So it seems likely that GCN+ will go the way of Eurosport and the we are likely to be offered a more expensive package with additional content we don't necessarily want.

TBF GCN+ already has a lot of additional coverage I don't want... just give me the racing!

islandlynx 01 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

You're right that there is tons. If you're interested in cycle racing in the form of the TDF I'd highly recommend watching some other races, they can often be more exciting and unpredictable. The other grand tours are great as as are tour of flanders, paris-roubaix, paris-nice this year. Recent tour of andalucia (missed it this year). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...