UKC

Advice on Yorkshire three peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marktrik 01 Mar 2023

I'm thinking about foing the Yorkshire three peaks at the end of May, accommodation close by is sorted.

Just need advice on parking, start point etc....

Looking at it Norton in Ribblesdale looks like ideal spot.

Any thought, experience please.

Mark.

Pedro50 01 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

Avoid weekends like the plague.

Lankyman 01 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

Most folks start from Horton so parking there can be fraught. I've done it four times and started each time at Chapel-le-Dale near the Hill Inn. There's lots more parking at Ribblehead but you're competing with lots of Joe public as well. There's a nice little spring quite close to the summit of Ingleborough just above the steep slope down towards the Hill Inn. Nice on a hot day. Not sure if the cafe in Horton is still closed - haven't been since before the pandemic.

Maggot 01 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Avoid weekends like the plague.

Agree!!!

Last two times I did it, I either got the train or got dropped off in Horton and descended to Clapham, numerous beers and lift home 😀

compost 02 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

Loads of sensible guidance here: https://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/things-to-do/get-outdoors/yorkshire-three...

Doing it by train is a good option and the train line gives you a good bail-out point if you need it. This means starting at Horton or Ribblehead.

Most people start at Horton and go anticlockwise. It can feel like you're in a line of people on a sunny weekend, so starting somewhere else, stating early or going clockwise can break that up.

Whatever you do don't rock up at 10am and expect to park easily!

Dark-Cloud 02 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

I would start anywhere but Horton to be honest, it's a scrum, especially weekends.

If going anti clockwise I found the whole route a bit boring to be honest, from Pen-y-ghent to Whernside is a slog along lanes, the leg into Horton off Ingleborough just keeps going.

I'm sure i will get my dislikes for this but as inspiring routes go i give it 2 out of 10, so unless you have some sort of burning desire to tick it off i would look elsewhere if you want a nice day out in the hills.

Neil Williams 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Must admit to being surprised Horton is still that much of a honeypot now the cafe with the clock in machine has been closed for years (surprised the owners don't sell it).  I guess force of habit?  Obviously there or Ribblehead make sense if coming by train, but by car there are lots of options.

Post edited at 09:48
 Lankyman 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Must admit to being surprised Horton is still that much of a honeypot now the cafe with the clock in machine has been closed for years (surprised the owners don't sell it).  I guess force of habit?  Obviously there or Ribblehead make sense if coming by train, but by car there are lots of options.

There really aren't that many options for starting (unless you want to extend an already long day!). The only places where the route crosses roads are Horton, Ribblehead and Chapel-le-Dale and those are the only realistic parking options.

OP marktrik 02 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at starting early as I'm staying at a caravan site near Coniston Cold (on the a65 nr malham) just over 30 min drive away from ribblehead. Hopefully setting off at 6.30-7am ish, just to beat the crowds.

I hate the stress of parking.... anyway, needs must.

OP marktrik 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I naturally thought about doing it clockwise... don't know why.

Guess I'm doing it just to tick it off and give me some direction, purpose. Move onto the next thing once I've done it, hopefully. 

OP marktrik 02 Mar 2023
In reply to compost:

Thanks for the adive and I'll have a good read of the article you attached 👍 

ExiledScot 03 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

I'd say 7am latest, lots of charity groups of unfit never done a hill before walkers need 12hrs and want pub time after, so they'll be setting off at 7. 

I'd go clockwise from Ribblehead to avoid the most tedious bit at the end. Down past the viaduct is a much nicer less drawn out finish.

Pete Pozman 03 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

One reason for going anti clockwise is you go up the scrambly bits on PyG and Ingleborough rather than down. I'd recommend driving back to Gargrave and catching the train to Ribblehead. It's a "romantic" way to arrive and it means you'll get the heart breaking descent from Ingleborough done whilst you're still freshish.

You need to get an early start if you want to finish in daylight. I find walking with the hordes quite fun.  You meet all sorts. To me, the Y3P is the only Three Peaks. It's a complete trip. The other one is a bit stupid.

Lankyman 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I'm sure i will get my dislikes for this but as inspiring routes go i give it 2 out of 10, so unless you have some sort of burning desire to tick it off i would look elsewhere if you want a nice day out in the hills.

That's harsh. It's popular and become a victim of that. Anyone who does it as 'a nice day out ' really hasn't given it even a little thought. As a route that logically links three adjacent hills it does the job admirably. Those three are also pretty fine hills in their own right, individual and giving great views. It has become a 'challenge' with all the negatives that that attracts (including a bit of snobbery from 'serious' outdoor folks?). Unlike the bigger stuff like the Bob Graham it is within the scope of everyday walkers or even those who just want to raise money for a good cause. You can easily find other walks elsewhere but to score it 2 out of 10, are you 'avin a laugh?

OP marktrik 03 Mar 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

Did you mean 7am for parking up at ribblehead. That seems early, am I under estimating the parking issue.... 

Lankyman 03 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

> Did you mean 7am for parking up at ribblehead. That seems early, am I under estimating the parking issue.... 

A lot will depend on the weather and/or day of the week. The parking (unless it's changed recently) is mostly all along the road verges going north of the junction. There's also a bit closer to the pub but that's usually pretty popular. A lot of people just park up to walk to the viaduct or bimble to the tea wagon so if you're reasonably early you should be ok. Coming from Coniston Cold you'll be passing through Horton anyway so why not just park there if it looks OK? If it's too busy carry on to Ribblehead. If it's busy there you've arrived late on a sunny Bank Holiday weekend and you're stuffed!

compost 03 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

> Guess I'm doing it just to tick it off and give me some direction, purpose. Move onto the next thing once I've done it, hopefully. 

Don't forget to enjoy it! It's popular for a reason - the peaks individually are all different and interesting in their own way and, especially if you're coming from far away, the landscape is impressive. Yes it's a long way between peaks, but it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't. This makes it easy to take for granted I think. It's a great day out 

Post edited at 09:50
 yorkshire_lad2 03 Mar 2023

Give something back:

https://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/things-to-do/get-outdoors/yorkshire-three...

(I have no connection with YDNP)

The YDNP have done (are doing) a lot of work to combat erosion on the 3Ps route. It can be a little bit controversial, but it may save you sinking knee deep into a peat bog, and stop the tracks getting ever wider.  There has been recent work at Bracken Bottom (steps), flags on Penyghent (both on the ascent from Brackenbottom near the summit, and on the route down towards Hullpot), and flags near Sulber Nick and work at Swine Tail.

ExiledScot 03 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

> Did you mean 7am for parking up at ribblehead. That seems early, am I under estimating the parking issue.... 

I mean most big charity groups start that early. You'll get parked it won't be that busy as many do the classic start and direction. It's just one of those routes between May and August you can expect to see many people on a weekend. 

Edit, if the forecast is ok, don't treat it like a mountain day, well worn trail shoes, fast, light and money in your pocket for refreshments! 

Post edited at 10:15
 Levy_danny 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Totally agree - I've only done it once during the annual fell race but the thought of walking that stretch from Pen y Ghent to Whernside would put me off hiking the whole thing. Must go on forever. 

Bulls Crack 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Must admit that despite living relatively nearby I've never had the slightest desire to do it!

Alex Pryor 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Levy_danny:

> Totally agree - I've only done it once during the annual fell race. 

Me too many years ago, finished just as the prizegiving was taking place. I thought it was like a long x-country race with 3 big hills. Not a patch on the real fell races. 

Godwin 03 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

You may wish to consider catching the train from settle to start. Parking at the station is free of charge. Also remember that bus journeys are only £2, so they may be an option.

OP marktrik 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Looking at where I'm staying the train station at Gargrave is close and trains run ever 30 min direct to ribblehead Station. That's an option 🤔👍

OP marktrik 03 Mar 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

Ye I read about going light so will probably where my trail/approach shoes. I've done loads of miles in them with no issues 👍

Lankyman 03 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

My first round was in trainers. That was because I forgot my boots. Feet were fine.

Dark-Cloud 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Yeah I totally get why people do it but personally it did nothing for me.

Maggot 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Must admit that despite living relatively nearby I've never had the slightest desire to do it!

Is that some kind of inverted snobbery, or maybe more like shooting yourself in the foot? 🙃

I think it's a really good walk, mileage, ascentage, interest value.

In reply to Godwin:

> You may wish to consider catching the train from settle to start. Parking at the station is free of charge. Also remember that bus journeys are only £2, so they may be an option.

For the avoidance of doubt, parking in the station car park at Settle is not free.

In reply to marktrik:

> Looking at where I'm staying the train station at Gargrave is close and trains run ever 30 min direct to ribblehead Station. That's an option 🤔👍

Trains do run direct from Gargrave to Ribblehead, but the frequency is about every 90 minutes with some long gaps, see e.g.

https://traintimes.org.uk/gargrave/ribblehead/07:00/2023-03-11/changes=0

Post edited at 23:03
 Godwin 04 Mar 2023
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Apologies, you are correct, some stations are but not that one. Iirc though, it was very cheap, couple of quid IIRC 

Pete Pozman 04 Mar 2023
In reply to Alex Pryor:

> Me too many years ago, finished just as the prizegiving was taking place. I thought it was like a long x-country race with 3 big hills. Not a patch on the real fell races. 

It's a monster unless you're a real hardcase. I've done a couple of Lake District classics and the Y3P compares. I've also done cross countries and they're nothing like Y3P or any other fell race. Some trail races are a bit fell racey. That's probably what you mean. 

I've seen big men weeping on the Y3P.  Do not under-estimate it. It’s about marathon distance and about 5400ft of ascent. You might cream it or you might feel justifiably proud to do it in 12 hours.

ExiledScot 04 Mar 2023
In reply to Levy_danny:

> Totally agree - I've only done it once during the annual fell race but the thought of walking that stretch from Pen y Ghent to Whernside would put me off hiking the whole thing. Must go on forever. 

I think you have to see it as a dales walk, meadows, pasture, tracks and 3 hills. Although the tarmac sections are a nause.

I prefer to skip Pen-y-ghent, park Ribblehead, Whernside, Ingleborough, then take the long ridge north back to Ribblehead, wash any crud off in the stream after. 

OP marktrik 04 Mar 2023
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Ye do I saw and its similar coming back. Thanks 👍 

DaveHK 04 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

The best way to do it is on a cyclo-cross bike but that's only allowed once a year.  😀 

DaveHK 04 Mar 2023
In reply to Alex Pryor:

> Me too many years ago, finished just as the prizegiving was taking place. I thought it was like a long x-country race with 3 big hills. Not a patch on the real fell races. 

It isn't really a fell race, it's a trail race but that doesn't make it inferior, it's still a great race over a classic route with very different demands from a fell race.

It didn't suit my abilities at all and I hated/loved it.

Post edited at 09:10
 Lankyman 04 Mar 2023
In reply to Maggot:

> Is that some kind of inverted snobbery, or maybe more like shooting yourself in the foot? 🙃

> I think it's a really good walk, mileage, ascentage, interest value.

I agree. I think the nay-sayers are perhaps concentrating too much on the 'challenge' aspect? When the Pen-y-ghent Cafe was open they had a clock and the challenge was to get round within 12 hours between punches. If this is your aim (like the vast majority I suspect) then you won't be too concerned about the intrinsic interest of the route. In a limestone region much of that interest isn't immediately obvious perhaps and certainly not if you're intent on just getting on. Even in the long 'boring' stretch between Pen-y-ghent and Whernside there are numerous natural and man-made features - how could you not be inspired by the Ribblehead Viaduct and the history of the shanty town built nearby to build the railway infrastructure? I suppose as a keen caver I had the advantage of knowing where a lot of the caves, gorges and waterfalls are. Best point on the walk? For me, gaining the crest of the ridge on Whernside - the views just explode from there, north past the tarns towards the Howgills and Dentdale with (if you're lucky!), the Lakes fells beyond. Below, the ground collapses towards Greensett Tarn with the railway looking like a model. Even better if you get a train crossing the viaduct and you can marvel at the men (and women) who built the whole railway. Many of them are buried very close to the route in St Leonard's chapel where there's a marble plaque. The Three Peaks walk is so much more than just a mileage and a time if you want it to be.

maybe_si 04 Mar 2023
In reply to marktrik:

Try to ignore all the miserable buggers whinging about the crowds and enjoy it for what it is.  Its a pleasant day out in the hills with some nice scenery and if it's good weather you can have a chuckle at some of the things you will see people doing/wearing!  I have done it 4 times now, starting in Horton and going anti clockwise.  I have always parked by 0545 and started by 0600 at the latest.  Never had any parking issues buy I'd not want to arrive any later!

Lankyman 04 Mar 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

> I prefer to skip Pen-y-ghent, park Ribblehead, Whernside, Ingleborough, then take the long ridge north back to Ribblehead, wash any crud off in the stream after. 

That'll be 'Three Peaks 0.66'? I haven't been over any of them since 2019 but as individual hills they each have excellent routes apart from the usual Three Peaks tracks. I think Ingleborough can claim to be the most interesting hill in Britain for so many reasons. I've been up dozens of times since aged 14, including in a wetsuit and have slept on top. It's a special hill.

Bulls Crack 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Maggot:

Don't think so! I like Pen-y-Ghent. Ingleborough to me seems to get progressively less interesting with  height (good views though) and Whernside never actually attracted me enough to go and  to do it - rather than passing on to the Lakes. Maybe I should! 

Lankyman 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Don't think so! I like Pen-y-Ghent. Ingleborough to me seems to get progressively less interesting with  height (good views though) and Whernside never actually attracted me enough to go and  to do it - rather than passing on to the Lakes. Maybe I shou

l think Ingleborough has probably the most interesting summit of the three? There are lots of Iron Age hut circles on the plateau plus the remnant curtain wall of the settlement and the ruins of the Victorian commemorative tower where the Ingleton path arrives. Whernside is well worth the effort. I think coming up from Dentdale is great as it's much quieter than the usual Three Peaks approach. Coming along the ridge from Ingleton is another good day and is mostly pretty quiet until you join the Three Peaks route near the top.

Post edited at 16:39
 Pete Pozman 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

The stroll along Whernside's long summit ridge gives unremittingly great views not least of Ingleborough which is a striking looking mountain.  

Post edited at 12:45
 Pete Pozman 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

The stroll along Whernside's long summit ridge gives unremittingly great views not least of Ingleborough which is a great looking mountain.  

Siward 06 Mar 2023
In reply to maybe_si:

I suggest setting off late and doing one hill at a time on different days and seasons. Watch the sunset from the top maybe. A slog to join them all together for the sake of it. 

ExiledScot 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Not to mention great caves like gaping gill or black shiver, some huge sink holes, some sections of limestone pavement... there is a lot going on, mainly due to the rock type. 

DaveHK 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Siward:

> I suggest setting off late and doing one hill at a time on different days and seasons. Watch the sunset from the top maybe. A slog to join them all together for the sake of it. 

Pleasant though that might be it's rather missing the point.

In reply to marktrik:

There's plenty of route/logistics advice in our article on the Y3P:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/the_big_routes_yorkshir...

Harry Jarvis 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Siward:

> I suggest setting off late and doing one hill at a time on different days and seasons. Watch the sunset from the top maybe. A slog to join them all together for the sake of it. 

This is less of an option if one does not live locally. It's not really a slog. True, it's a long day's walk, but is straightforward for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness, and it is a satisfying day out in good weather. 

My only comment about the route would be to follow the Three Peaks race route up Pen-y-Ghent, which follows the Pennine Journey track to Tarn Bar, then east up the Pennine Way path. The route up the southern end of the hill from Brackenbottom has nothing to commend it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...