UKC

Value of MacInnes Terrordactyl ice climbing axes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djwilse 07 Mar 2023

In the style of Antiques Roadshow....Is there any value in a pair of Terrordactyl ice tools, i.e what sort of price might someone realistically pay for them (as a collectable)? I had a quick look on eBay and FB, couldn't see anything. Or are they worthless?

In reply to djwilse:

Frame it and put it on your wall!

65 07 Mar 2023
In reply to djwilse:

Identify a suitable pub which may want them and negotiate some free beers.

Slackboot 07 Mar 2023
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Strangely enough I once framed an ice axe brought in by a customer and signed by Chris Bonington, Doug Scott and Leo Holding. So your idea of framing them is not a bad idea!

CantClimbTom 07 Mar 2023
In reply to djwilse:

Get an Edward Whimper signature on them, they'll be worth even more

DaveHK 07 Mar 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Get an Edward Whimper signature on them, they'll be worth even more

If you're going to forge a signature spelling it correctly is a good first step. 😉

Marek 07 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> If you're going to forge a signature spelling it correctly is a good first step. 😉

Disagree. If you're going to take the piss out of someone by selling them a Whymper signed Terrordactyl, then having the name misspelled  is a cherry on the pie!

CantClimbTom 07 Mar 2023
In reply to djwilse:

That was spelling autocorrect, but an appropriate "correction"

Jamie Hageman 09 Mar 2023
In reply to djwilse:

I sold a pair of Terrordactyl hammers a few months ago for about £50.  I recently sold a Terrordactyl adze signed by Hamish and it went for about £60.  In this current financial climate, prices are quite low for this sort of thing.  A few years ago, a pair was about £80/£90.  I was a bit disappointed the signed axe didn't go for more, but perhaps it serves me right for not having a longer auction on Ebay or setting a reserve.  Anything with 'Chouinard' stamped on it goes for a bit more.  

I like the idea above of negotiating with a pub/free beers!

mutt 09 Mar 2023
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> I like the idea above of negotiating with a pub/free beers!

why do you have to negotiate for free beer when you have ice axes?

Ross McGibbon 09 Mar 2023

I've got a Chouinard Zero that I got Yvon to sign. Keep meaning to put it on the wall

Jamie Hageman 09 Mar 2023
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

Amazing!  I wish I'd got Yvon to sign mine when I met him a few years ago.  I was too excited at meeting him!

Ross McGibbon 10 Mar 2023

Would be even better if I got round to polishing & varnishing.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...