UKC

Trad climbing in Malta, any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olddirtydoggy 09 Mar 2023

Apologies, this is my second destination thread in 48 hours so I guess I'm using the hive mind as my own personal holiday organiser.

I was given the 2008 Matla guidebook a while back as a mate was having a book clearout. I was shocked to find a pile of what looks like high quality trad sea cliffs with much within my grade, up to HVS. I'm well aware that a photo can give the illusion of perfect rock and sun soaked fun but I was wondering what the reality was. Is the rock a Pembrokeshire style solid rock or a pile of crumbly Torridon cheese? Would you recommend Malta as a place to enjoy a few days of warm, steady trad climbing in June? We've no interest in clipping bolts. Thanks as always.

HeMa 09 Mar 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

well, I think the guide might give a tad too rosy picture... I recall a lot or a portion of the lines previously trad are now bolted.

That isn't to say, that the bolted lines are bad, actually I had a pretty good time there just clipping bolts (even though I was also planning on trad adventures... but didn't use 'em once).

PaulJepson 09 Mar 2023

We were using a more modern guidebook when we were there and even then found that a lot of it had been retro-bolted. 

It's a great place for a sport holiday with maybe a bit of DWS and trad chucked in if you fancy it but I think if you specifically want trad, there are probably better options. You might be quite disappointed when everything you go to do has fixed gear!

oldie 09 Mar 2023

I spent an enjoyable week on Malta and Gozo climbing up to VS. Shirt sleeves in November. The rock was often a bit brittle rather than loose with lots of small sharp holds and many little threads (which might have snapped in a fall). Almost no insitu gear and never saw another climber....however it was 50 years ago and things will have changed a lot!

OP olddirtydoggy 09 Mar 2023

Trad routes being bolted up..... Can't believe they would do that if the protection is OK. I doubt that will work for us unless there are areas where the drills have been kept away from the crags. I get that sport for our European friends is very popular and it's easier to fly with a few quickdraws rather than an entire rack but it's a real shame if good quality trad routes have been sacrificed.

Are there areas where the bolts have been kept away or is it all sport now?

PaulJepson 09 Mar 2023

From what I saw, there were still trad lines left if they were good/popular for the most part. The approach seemed to be similar to South Wales sandstone in that, for the most part, obvious good trad lines (e.g. cracks, tufa-y features with natural gear, etc) were left trad and the rest was bolted. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...