UKC

Taken in by a fake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 14 Mar 2023

I stumbled across this version of the Stranglers - Golden Brown on youtube, quite liked it and so added it to a playlist.

Initially, before I knew who Dave Brubeck was, I thought it was just a modern cover with a black and white stylised video to appear older than it actually was.

Once I'd realised Dave Brubeck was actually a famous jazz guy back in the day, I concluded that this was the original version of Golden Brown and the Stranglers' version must be a cover.

Obviously, if I'd spent any time at all researching I'd have realised my error but just goes to show how easily you could be taken in by a fake if you're not careful.

I enjoyed being had in this instance.  

Ignoring all the fakery, it's still a nice wee cover...

youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs1J612nZs&

OP JLS 14 Mar 2023
In reply to JimR:

Hidden in plain sight.  

cenotaphcorner 14 Mar 2023
In reply to JLS:

From Wikipedia… In 2020 British YouTuber and saxophonist Laurence Mason's cover of "Golden Brown", in the style of classical American jazz pianist Dave Brubeck, was viewed over a million times, leading to a commercial release via Amazon and iTunes, and as a vinyl single under the title "Take Vibe EP".[33] The vinyl release stayed two weeks in the Official Vinyl Singles Chart's Top 40, peaking at No 24

Iamgregp 14 Mar 2023
In reply to JLS:

That's a lovely cover that, thanks for posting!

Apparently when people first heard Otis Reddings version of The Stones' Satisfaction people though the same - that the Stones must have covered an earlier tune  youtube.com/watch?v=gmnZRBTPzg0&

pasbury 14 Mar 2023
In reply to JLS:

Dave Brubeck and his quartet are wonderful - I don't really like jazz but these cats could play. Nice.

Iamgregp 14 Mar 2023
In reply to pasbury:

But this isn't Dave Brubeck.

Pedro50 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

I'm confused!

OP JLS 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

See cenotaphcorner's post!

Some guy on the internet, recorded a version of The Strangers' Golden Brown and combined the audio with old TV footage of Dave Brubeck playing Take Five. It looks very real and is easy to take a face value.

Post edited at 14:58
 graeme jackson 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I'm Spartacus

felt 14 Mar 2023
In reply to JLS:

His sax is a bagpipe.

OP JLS 14 Mar 2023
In reply to felt:

Yeah, you can see that when you look closely but if you have no reason not to believe then that could be dismissed as the video and audio being a little out of sync. 

Post edited at 15:01
 pasbury 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> But this isn't Dave Brubeck.

I thought it sampled/chopped and looped the drum intro to Take Five? The rest I don't know.

Either way, it's a gateway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...