UKC

Climbing shoes and no toenails

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bodovix 14 Mar 2023

For reasons** I might be without a bunch of toenails in the near future. Has anyone experianced climbing shoes without toenails before?

and if so how much does it effect it. Mostly only asking about comfort as small performance changes wouldnt be an issue..  I've heard running down hill without toenails is a bad time.. but what about climbing shoes??

Ross o’Brien 14 Mar 2023
In reply to bodovix:

All? Big toe? Permanently? 

henwardian 14 Mar 2023
In reply to bodovix:

I got the big toenail removed because it was such a pain in my climbing shoes. After the healing (I think a month or two but it was years ago now, so can't remember how long the healing period was exactly), it's much, much more comfortable without the nail.

Jackspratt 14 Mar 2023
In reply to bodovix:

i've on off had no big toe nails since I've started climbing, It's never been an issue although the time it is least comfortable is when they are 80% grown back as the flesh pushes back against the end of them, still not slowed me down. I barely notice.

In reply to bodovix:

I've lost big toe nails a few times in the past and generally boots/shoes are more comfortable/predictable without them.

In reply to bodovix:

I feel like all my climbing toe pain, comes from the pressure on my big toe nails. So it'd make sense to me that climbing will just be more comfortable without big toe nails.

So no direct experience, but surely it's gotta be a good thing once healed. 

Post edited at 22:07
 Jenny C 14 Mar 2023
In reply to bodovix:

I lost the big toenail last summer. It was incredibly sore for a few days, then the nail bad hardened up and if anything it was an improvement. 

gooberman-hill 15 Mar 2023
In reply to bodovix:

Not really a problem. I kept losing toenails when I was regularly running ultras. Didn't stop me wearing climbing shoes

OP bodovix 15 Mar 2023
In reply to bodovix:

Unsure as to how perminant/many. But my feet are a bit of a state... so it's deffinantly on the cards.. 

But sounds like it won't be an issue for climbing which is a huge plus

In reply to bodovix:

My big toenail has come and gone a fair few times over the last 18 months. Each time I've expected it to have a negative effect whilst wearing climbing shoes, but each time I've been pleasantly surprised by how little difference it's actually made. The main thing that made a difference to me is that usually the toenail loss was related to running long distances, which in turn meant that my feet had often swollen up to twice their size, which was a much bigger issue as far as climbing shoes were concerned!!

Hope it all works out for you and that it doesn't have too much of an effect.

jimtitt 15 Mar 2023
In reply to bodovix:

I had mine removed 45 years ago, think how much time I've saved not having to trim them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...