UKC

Salomon running packs/vests

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CaelanB 18 Mar 2023

Hello all,

I've owned a couple of salomon running vests/packs over the years and they've always had two problems. First, the zips on them seize up with a blue, limescale-like, substance and are rendered unusable. Second, the packs themselves start to develop little flecks of white mould. I acknowledge that these issues might be more of a problem with me and how I treat these packs than with the packs themselves. Nonetheless, I treat them in much the same way I treat other rucksacks and my other rucksacks are fine and have been going strong in some cases for over a decade.

At present, I'm in the market for a new running vest, and I wanted to ask a couple of things.

1. Does anyone else have these problems? If yes, how have you combatted them?
  2. Is this an issue specifically with Salomon race vests/packs? How do other brands fare?  

Thanks!

DaveHK 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

Is it definitely mould and not salt? Salt washes out easily.

OP CaelanB 18 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Given that it smells pretty foosty, I'm inclined to believe that it's mould. I have washed the packs from time to time, but often I've found that that can exacerbate things. I have to ensure that they are completely dry before putting them back into storage. If I don't next time I reach for them, the mould issue is even worse!

wbo2 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB: do you ever wash them? Low temp, washing Machines. 

No, I don't have these problems

OP CaelanB 18 Mar 2023
In reply to wbo2:

Yup, I have, but I've often found that it can make things worse. Especially if there's even a tiny bit of moisture still in them when I store them. If there is, next time I reach for them, the mould issue is even worse!

Luke90 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

I have a Salomon hip belt which is made to the same kind of design as their vests. No marks on the fabric but one of the zips seized up completely within a year or two of owning it. I know someone else who had the same zip problem as well. Neither of the items had a hard life. I don't buy Salomon any more. Which is a shame because the design of the hip belt was otherwise fantastic.

Garethza 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

Apparently rubbing a bar of soap across the zipper can help lubricate it. Worth a shot 

mattrm 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

I've had an S-Lab vest for over 10 years, with admittedly light usage.  No issues with it at all.  And our old Victorian house doesn't have the best ventilation.

wbo2 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

Have you asked Salomon this?  

In reply to CaelanB:

If you store anything when damp, you are going to get mildew. 

For very close-fitting running items that are going to get sweaty, salt and body oils will exacerbate the problem, encouraging mould and corrosion (the blue stuff is a copper salt from corrosion). Keep things clean and dry. Lubricate zips with a bit of candle or silicone wax.

I don't own any Salomon packs; no skin in this game.

GDes 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

I've got one of the Raid light vests, the smallest one. They are a fraction of the price of the salomon ones, and been really pleased with it. 

Dark-Cloud 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

A little bit of hair clipper oil or olive oil on the zips sorts mine

climb41 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

Hi, I've got an Ultimate Direction pack. I've had it for approx. 7 years, over 5k miles. The zips definitely get seized due to salt from sweat, but as others have suggested, a bit of oil or soap frees them up. Regular opening and closing as well. Not had any mould at all. I have done the odd running repair on the pack and it is still going strong. 

neuromancer 18 Mar 2023
In reply to CaelanB:

Wash the vest you grotbag, it isn't a rucksack.

Thereafter, Vaseline is good for zips.

Post edited at 19:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...