UKC

Waterproof Trousers for winter stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oscar Dodd 20 Mar 2023

My waterproofs finally gave up on the ben this weekend, and after slogging down from the CIC hut utterly saturated, I've come to accept it's time for a new set of waterproof trousers. 

Looking for a set mostly for winter climbing, so weight isn't really too much of a concern, and looking for salopettes really.

Heard good things about the Simond cascade pants, but worried there is a catch. Anyone used them? Am I better off just accepting it and getting a goretex pair etc?

Thanks

LucaC 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

I can't comment on the Simond pants, but I've been using non Goretex waterproofs all season this year, some made of Pertex Shield and another pair with Mountain Equipments own brand Drilite fabric. 

I can't say I've been noticeably wetter or dryer than previously when using Goretex, but they have both been significantly cheaper. For the use and abuse I give them I would rather have cheaper pants and affordably replace them when required. 

I've also moved over to using Paramo sallopettes for days where you need waterproofs from the carpark and rate these for all day use. 

Tom F Harding 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

I spent ages looking for a good pair of hardshell trousers a couple of years ago. I wanted lots of specific features such as, good snow skirts, inside leg protection and to be made from thick fabric that wont fall apart and rip within a few years. In the end I went for the Jottnar VANIR LT. They cost a fortune but have become one of my favourite items of clothing.

TechnoJim 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

If you are stout of thigh then the Simond ones are a bit of a non-starter, you have to size up so drastically that you end up with a giant billowy waist.

I am also using Jottnar these days but only 'cause they were second hand and therefore cheap. Cracking trousers though.

I had ME Tupliaks before that and they were great. 

CameronDuff14 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

I really rate the simond softshell trousers, super comfy and durable. I wasn't so taken by the cascade hardshells though, they were alright but I found the cut was a bit restrictive when doing funky moves. They were very waterproof and seemed to be well constructed, but I didn't use them for long.

I've ended up just getting a set of cheaper set of berghaus overtrousers to wear over the softshells when it gets a bit minging, using and abusing them till they get trashed and are held together entirely by superglue and then just replacing them fairly often (usually get at least a season out of them!)

OP Oscar Dodd 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Oscar Dodd
Cheers for your advice all! Really helpful

Post edited at 13:06
In reply to LucaC:

I've had some awful experiences with Drilite waterproof pants. Fine in snow and that sort of winter stuff but in driving rain they were hopeless. soaked through in half an hour. swapped them out for another pair, same issue. 

Maybe I was in amongst a bad batch or something but it was very disappointing. 

LucaC 21 Mar 2023
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

The fabric is fine on these (so far) but the side zips are appalling and leak like sieves. Fine on a normal day, but I’ll take the Paramo on a miserable rainy day. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...