UKC

Which sleeping bag and mat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 23 Mar 2023

Rashly we have agreed to help out at Cub Camp, which means getting a few bits of kit, mainly sleeping bags for me and Mrs Nic and mats for all 4 of us. (we have been specifically advised that lilos are not acceptable!)

This is in May so highly technical 4 season bags not needed, but bear in mind Mrs Nic usually has a hot water bottle in August; likewise the mats, no need for ultra lightweight but something easy and comfortable preferred.

Suggestions welcomed.

jethro kiernan 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

Decathlon should have everything you need, we have a couple of their sleeping mats and they are perfectly fine and good value.

OP Nic 23 Mar 2023
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Thanks, there's a lot of choice (looks like the Quechua mats come in about 50 different varieties)...any ones to look out for in particular?

artif 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

For a more pleasant stay, I'd suggest inflatable camp mats for your partner and yourself, thicker the better.

Derry 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

I dont get too cold so not the best to advise on bags, but for mats I bought an Alpkit Dumo a few years back and absolutely love it. revolutionised sleeping for my achy hips. However it's a full rectangular shape, so not great if you've got two of them in a small 2 person tent. Good price too compared to similar thickness mats from thermarest 

edit - the numo has an even cheaper price tag and is still 8cm thick.

Post edited at 11:35
OP Nic 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Derry:

Ooh yes, most of the reviewers seem to mention bad backs so I'm in!

BuzyG 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

A few more details would get you more directed advice.

Price bracket?

Are you planning walking far? 

Will you fit in a standard size bag?  (I don't at 6' 4")

If there is one handy, take a wonder into your local mountain warehouse.  They do a decent range of bags and mats for sensible money.  

In reply to Nic:

Main factor is: car camping, or backpacking?

For car camping, get a big, fat, self inflating mat. I have a Vango Comfort Grande; 10cm thick, and as comfortable as my bed. It is enormous and heavy, though.

Pedro50 23 Mar 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Main factor is: car camping, or backpacking?

> For car camping, get a big, fat, self inflating mat. I have a Vango Comfort Grande; 10cm thick, and as comfortable as my bed. It is enormous and heavy, though.

Agree and the two adults can just take a double duvet and something to go underneath. 

OP Nic 23 Mar 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

This is very much car camping - future backpacking expedition gear will be the subject of a separate thread!

dread-i 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

>... we have agreed to help out at Cub Camp...

For a good night sleep, I suggest ear plugs. And pitch your tent at least 4 or 5 km away!

Alpkit have a sale on. I'd go for inflatable mats for you and the mrs. Foam ones for the kids to stop them getting punctures.

Andrew95 23 Mar 2023

Sleeping mat wise the ones with foam in are another level - Vango Shangri la, Exped Mega Mat (also offensively expensive), Outwell Dream Boat, Thermarest do one as well and I have a feeling so do Alpkit but don't quote me. They are up there with 'mattress' levels of comfort. They are also very heavy and big, so not great for anything other than basecamp style / car camping. 

We have recently bought Neoair Topo Luxe as our 'do everything' mat and although really comfy, its nothing compared to the ones above. 

As for sleeping bag, our car camping sleeping bag is a Vango double (I think it might be the Accord?).  It feels really nice and soft, warm enough for the two of us (my partner identifies as a block of ice). 

In a past life I was a scout leader, so I wouldn't worry to much about what sleeping bag and mat you choose as you wont be doing much sleeping..... 

LastBoyScout 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

Cub leader here. Well done on volunteering.

Berghaus Transistion 200 in Millets/Blacks would be my pointer at the moment, but similar from Go Outdoors (same company), Decathlon or elsewhere would be fine.

Decent thick foam Karrimat style will last best on grubby Scout hut floors. Self-inflating ones are fine and much more comforable, but easily damaged at camp - but that's up to you. We prefer the Cubs don't have them, as they don't know how to use them and we leaders have better things to do than pack them again

Wainers44 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

Cub camp hmm. My first one of those as a helper involved playing cricket with them at 0500 on the first morning, to try to stop our lot from waking the whole campsite up. 

Vango bags are good and don't forget you should get Scout discount from the likes of Cotswold? Ask one of the leaders to help if you don't have Scout ID.

Alpkit bags and mats are great value too

galpinos 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

Matt wise, I bought my wife an Alpkit Dumo to upgrade her old Thermarest which was a step up in comfort, but not very durable. She has now upgraded to an ULTIM COMFORT 70 CM from Decathlon and it is both a LOT more durable for camping with kids (they WILL jump on the mats, a Dumo will not survive this) and it is leagues ahead in terns of comfort. Not cheap though.

Kids sleep on our old Thermarests.

LastBoyScout 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Wainers44:

Yes - I forgot to mention Vango bags. My wife/daughter have Stratos 250 womens bags.

LastBoyScout 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Nic:

> This is in May so highly technical 4 season bags not needed, but bear in mind Mrs Nic usually has a hot water bottle in August; likewise the mats, no need for ultra lightweight but something easy and comfortable preferred.

Sounds like my wife! Actually, she's changed from sleeping bag to sheet and duvet over a decent thick mat and finds that much more comfortable and warmer - she found a sleeping bag very restrictive. Winter PJs and bedsocks, too!

Last camp I went on was earlier this year, indoors and one of the female leaders had her hot water bottle, so crack on

I generally use a cheap synthetic bag for Scout camp, in case of accidents with the kids running around.

There was another thread recently about kids bags - search for others, too:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/compact_3_season_sleeping_bag_for_8_...

Sorry - I'm rushing out replies in between work...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...