UKC

Annot rope length

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, 

Any advice rope best rope length for Annot (single pitch stuff)? or anything else that's good to know about the area.

I am off there for the weekend. Got the guidebook, but its must be one of the worst I have seen for a while. The photos look like they where takes from 7 miles away with a first gen camera phone. there isn't any walk in times or route lengths. 

any advice appreciated. 

Cheers

Post edited at 17:54
 French Erick 28 Mar 2023
In reply to ecrinscollective:

I have been there with my single 70 m and my half 60m for the occasional  really long routes. Each route is given an approximate route length which I found pretty accurate.

The guidebook takes some getting used to. But once you get the hang of it, you will manage fine. It could be better though.

In reply to French Erick:

Hi Erick, 

Really enjoyed Annot, we ended up with a 80m rope, my other one is 50m and we weren't sure. 

Its an amazing place and decently going back, Living in France I miss the grit and its only 3 hours from us. 

The guidebook does make more sense when your there but its still quite a poor effort, couldn't see any route lengths in the trad guidebook? 

thanks for getting back. 

Flavio 28 Mar 2023
In reply to ecrinscollective:

The pamphlet guide is pretty basic but has all the good routes in, you can't miss them when standing in front of them!

I've annotated mine with approx UK grades and pitch lengths, can share it if you are interested.

We used 50m half ropes without problems (abseiled on the very long pitches instead of lowering) except they were trashed after 2 weeks. A hard wearing 60m single will do you for pretty much everything. 

Take a rope tarp to keep the sand out and preserve your ropes. Also take at least a double set of cams to #6! (Plus the more mid sizes the better!)

Martin Haworth 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Flavio:

What’s it like for routes in the HVS to E2 range? Thinking of a visit combined with a trip to Verdon.

Flavio 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Martin Haworth:

There is plenty up to E2 (safe 6b trad), the best ones I thought were:

Lake Placid

Zig Zag

Mettrez ça Sur M'annot

Jo Part à Cétamol

Dedicata Alla Val di Mello

Hand Training

In reply to Flavio:

Hi Flavio,

It would be great to have a share of the info you have added to the guide. It's only a few hours from me and keen to pop back.

Cheers

Enty 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Martin Haworth:

E2 = 6b + massive pinch of salt.

We did a multi pitch route there called The Usual Suspects, 4+, 6b, 6b+, 6C

We thought, HVS, E3, E4/5, E4

Have fun

E

Flavio 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Enty:

Equally some trad 6c's felt like E2 5c (eg. Fumble in the Jungle, Dallas). But the 6c off-widths on the other hand were always at least E3 and often solid E4!

French Erick 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Flavio:

Fan de la reine 😱 my skin never recovered!

Martin Haworth 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Flavio: Thanks

Martin Haworth 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Enty:

> E2 = 6b + massive pinch of salt.

> We did a multi pitch route there called The Usual Suspects, 4+, 6b, 6b+, 6C

> We thought, HVS, E3, E4/5, E4

> Have fun

> E

Yeah, I tend to take French grades with a pinch of salt on trad routes, particularly long standing routes, until I get a feel for the venue. I think trad 5+ to 6a+ or well protected 6b is probably what I’m looking for.

Post edited at 12:53
 Andy Reeve 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Flavio:

Hi Flavio,

We're going to there next week, so I'd really appreciate the extra details you've ANNOTated in your guidebook too, is its not too much trouble (serious request despite the pun!)

Cheers

PS. I think we met at Kinder North on a very hot day last summer - hi 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...