UKC

Changes to BBC R6 music.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 11 Apr 2023

Looks like the Marc Riley and Gid Coe shows are to be reduced to one 2 hour show each per week, plus two 2 hour combined shows each week. Not a good move in my opinion as they're the best shows on the station.

A petition calling for a reconsideration has been started and has nearly 10,000 signatures so far.

https://chng.it/NyMLjXhCCV

BBC Radio 6 Music has announced a schedule shake-up which will see two new shows launch this summer.

From June 5, the station will add New Music Fix Daily to weekday evenings while veteran DJs Marc Riley and Gideon Coe will collaborate on a new programme.

Riley & Coe will see the presenters play music from “every era and genre” from Monday to Thursday 10 till 12.

They will team up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays while Riley will broadcast solo on Mondays and Coe will present his own show on Thursdays.

The changes mean that from June, Riley and Coe will be presenting three shows each week instead of four.

The New Music Fix Daily, which will be broadcast live from Salford every Monday to Thursday 7pm to 9pm, will be dedicated to new releases.

Presenters Tom Ravenscroft and Deb Grant will helm the show, which will also feature special appearances and guest mixes.

The Artist In Residence show will also move to a regular 9pm to 10pm slot from Monday to Thursday.

TechnoJim 11 Apr 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

Gideon Coe should be left well alone. He's a consummate radio presenter and the best thing on the station by a mile. He's the real heir to Peel - half the stuff he plays does nowt for me but the good stuff is absolute gold.

I don't mind Marc Riley but he's not a patch on Gid. Ravenscroft doing the 7-9 slot would be OK.

Edited to add  - I haven't seen all the shake-up details but is there any chance Mary Anne Hobbs, Guy Garvey, Steve Lamacq and Craig Charles are being locked in a soundproof box and launched into the sea?

Post edited at 21:07
OP cragtyke 12 Apr 2023
In reply to TechnoJim:

> Gideon Coe should be left well alone. He's a consummate radio presenter and the best thing on the station by a mile. He's the real heir to Peel - half the stuff he plays does nowt for me but the good stuff is absolute gold.<

That's what's good about him having a decent length show isn't it? He can play a diverse range of old and new stuff, some you like and investigate further and some you don't.

ExiledScot 12 Apr 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

>  “every era and genre” from Monday to Thursday 10 till 12.

Probably an effort to catch departing R2 listeners when the mediocre game show host starts in Ken Bruce's old slot next month.

Dave Todd 17 Apr 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

Petition signed.

Gideon's show is - by far - my favourite music show over the past decade.  3 hours, 4 days a week is the ideal format to spread the net wide over the past 90 years of music.  I've been introduced to so many artists by his show - God knows where I'll get my new music from if these changes go ahead.

Hoping against hope for a u-turn...

aln 21 Apr 2023
In reply to Dave Todd:

>  God knows where I'll get my new music from if these changes go ahead.

From the new music show that's replacing Riley's show?

gethin_allen 21 Apr 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

I can't say I'm that happy about it because Marc Riley is my main cooking and eating time entertainment and I'm normally tucked up in bed before 11. But you do have to consider whether or not the presenters want the change, maybe they're happy as Larry to be working later. I wonder if Marc will get more or less time to get to all the gigs he says he misses because he's working, or will it interfere with getting bands in because they often come in just before they do gigs in Manchester. Who knows, they've had the same week night schedule for ages and things can't stay the same forever. 

Forest Dump 21 Apr 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

Its 10-12 in the evening, not AM. 6 Music's day time scheduling is already pretty good.

Must admit, I''ve been sick of listening to Marc Riley for years and Tom Ravenscroft is decent so win win!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...