UKC

Pet checks on travel to Northern Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 28 Apr 2023

Hi.

I've seen a website state these checks have been suspended between NI and the UK, from 15 September 2021.

Is this still the case? Anyone travel recently?

Looking to head to NI via P&O ferry to Larne but too late to get the rabies vaccination and health cert. It needed to be given to her a few days ago (fuk sake, rabies vac between two islands free of rabies!!)

JoshOvki 29 Apr 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

All the stuff on the gov site says you need the paperwork. I know that part of the deal currently being worked on that won't be required in the future. Was in Ireland (down south) last year and our paperwork was checked and the car next to us was refused entry because they didn't have a copy of their rabies certificate, I don't know if they are paying as much attention up north 

https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/travelling-to-an-eu-country-or-no...

auld al 29 Apr 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/travelling-pets#toc-1

The official N.I. site says checks are suspended unless commercial activities are suspected

JoshOvki 30 Apr 2023
In reply to auld al:

That is handy to know, and also explains why the government has "included" it in the negotiations, because it isn't happening anyway.

Finticus, can you report back how you get on? We need to get over to see my partners parents and considerably cheaper if we don't have to go through all that 

OP Flinticus 30 Apr 2023
In reply to JoshOvki:

Where did that check take place? At the ferry port in NI?

bigbobbyking 30 Apr 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

I've done the Cairnryan -> Belfast (Stenaline) and Birkenhead -> Belfast crossing several (5+) times since brexit with my dog in the car. We have never been asked for paper work. So I can confirm that if you are just a regular tourist you'll be fine. (I did see someone a bit sketchy looking in a white van with multiple puppies in the back getting pulled aside for some investigations... but then that is clearly into 'suspected commerical/animal welfare concerns' territory)

p.s. last travelled weekend after Easter so I'm pretty up to date.

Post edited at 14:10
 JoshOvki 30 Apr 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry if there was any confusion ours was down south in Rosslare as the ferry port. Between Ireland and N. Ireland there were no checks 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...