UKC

Climbing without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LudwikZdory 12 May 2023

Hey,

Im looking for recommendations for places to sports climb in Europe where you don't need a car. 

jimtitt 12 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

You can climb anywhere in the world without a car. 

Elsier 12 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

Zillertal is pretty well set up for climbing without a car. There are very regular tourist buses that go past the majority of crags. You can also buy a pass for the week which covers all the buses and the train.

Kevster 12 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

El chorro is frequently touted. 

Portland also satisfies for balance. 

Rog Wilko 13 May 2023
In reply to jimtitt:

> You can climb anywhere in the world without a car. 

And do you?

supersteve 13 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

Ceuse. I had a great trip there once. Bus and then hitchhike to the campsite. Limited French meant we had to point to the crag to show where we wanted to go. Campsite sells all the food you need. Short walk to local village on rest days for icecream. Amazing climbing. 

jimtitt 13 May 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have a car.

rogerhill12 13 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

El Chorro.  Soon, before it gets too hot.  

rogerhill12 13 May 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

Every single destination listed in the UKC article says hire a car at the mainline rail station and so the article is not much use.

Post edited at 14:33
 rogerhill12 13 May 2023
In reply to Elsier:

Yes Zillertal is a good idea. And the Inn valley west of Innsbruck.  

rogerhill12 13 May 2023
In reply to rogerhill12:

> Every single destination listed in the UKC article says hire a car at the mainline rail station and so the article is not much use.

My wording a bit rude sorry.

Luke90 13 May 2023
In reply to rogerhill12:

It suggests El Chorro and specifically highlights that no hire car would be needed there.

rogerhill12 13 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

I've done a lot if research as I don't drive now;  many big crags actually on the bus network of Marseilles, Toulon, Nice and Monaco; Mt Saint Victoire east of Aix, Russan on bus network of Nimes, Val Rosandra on bus network of Trieste, Teverga in N Spain I think.  Ailefroide I think. Don't know much about accomodation though.

tjekel 13 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

France ...

Orgon, easily to reach from Marseille / Avignon on train, campsite / huts in the middle of the climbing area ... and all climbs to be reached on foot.

St. Victoire ... anywhere along the bus line Aix Puyloubier. No car needed.

St. Jeannet, staying in the gite, all sectors walkable. La Tourbie, staying in the village. Orpierre, once you are there ... all are areas that keep you busy for a week at least.

Osp in Slovenia - everything walkable from the campsite.

Italy ... Sperlonga, staying on the central plain ... and Ferentillo, staying in the village.

Portugal ... Cascais ...

neilh 13 May 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

Kalymnos. 

paulinepavlova 01 Jun 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

Arrive in the area you want to climb at and make friends with locals that have a car. I do have a car but lived in Spain for three months without a car. I offered to pay for fuel. I lived in a city though, joined a climbing group via WhatsApp and spoke the local language so was easy to arrange car share beforehand.

Post edited at 00:12
 e.ms355 01 Jun 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

Slovenia, if you base yourself at Crni Kal or Misja Pec (you would need to get there, but i presume you could get a taxi from somewhere like Trieste or Koper) then easy walking distance to crags

AlanLittle 01 Jun 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

Leonidio has easily a week's worth of good sectors within short walking distance of the town, and you can get there by bus from Athens.

graeme jackson 01 Jun 2023
In reply to LudwikZdory:

I've climbed in loads of places and never taken a car - they're too bloody heavy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...