UKC

Wanted: Looking to borrow: 100m static Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elizabeth_S (user since 22/Sep/18) 22 May 2023

Wondering if anyone Sheffield based has a 100m static myself and my partner could borrow for this coming Friday? Off to Fair Head and it's recommended that we take one to ab in.

Will happily come collect and return the following Tuesday - promise to look after it well and if for any reason it gets buggered we would, of course, replace.

Route recommendations at HVS/E1 at Fair Head also welcome and up to E4 for my partner  

Cheers

snoop6060 23 May 2023
In reply to Elizabeth_S:

You can get away without one but it is handy. Recommendations for routes up to E4, most of them. But defo Jolly Roger and track of the cat. 

hvs / e1 there are less routes but there lots of super safe e2s that are steady at the grade if you are feeling confident. As you should as they are great and there is gear absolutely everywhere. 

kevin stephens 23 May 2023
In reply to Elizabeth_S: there are loads of great routes in your range accessible from the descent gullies at either end of the crag. A 100m rope becomes more useful for subsequent visits when you are running out of the best routes closer to the gullies, and have a better familiarity with this massive crag so you know where you are going. A standard (60m?) ab rope is useful for the excellent single pitch routes on the Prow which is not so easy to access by scrambling. My top recommendations E2 Equinox. E3 Solango and Jolly Roger. E4 Face Value. Take lots of gear, two racks of cams. rockcentrics work brilliantly and a lot lighter than a second or third rack of cams. Also 3 sets of nuts, especially for Face Value. Wellington boots are very useful for the often boggy walk from car park to crag. Fairhead is more a North facing mountain crag by the sea than a sea cliff so extra warm clothes may be useful.

I live in Sheffield and have a 100m ab rope but would be very reluctant to lend it out, especially for use at Fairhead where the rough rock is likely to add lots of wear and tear.

Enjoy

OP Elizabeth_S 23 May 2023

Cheers for the advice both!

kevin stephens 23 May 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

Oh, and if out of the wind there will be midges

bobpilgrem 23 May 2023
In reply to Elizabeth_S:

Had a great 4 day trip last month.

We spent first day on Prow, as guidebooks suggest , it's a good area for your first day.

A 50m ab rope is fine, even when belaying on big blocks a bit back from top. 

Enjoy.

notgnarly 24 May 2023
In reply to Elizabeth_S:

Hi Elizabeth, I have 100m ab rope you can borrow. Have sent you a DM.

Ian

OP Elizabeth_S 24 May 2023

All sorted now - cheers all!

kevin stephens 09 Jun 2023
In reply to Elizabeth_S: how did you get on? Hope you had a great time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...