UKC

Chamonix trip 30/05 - 04/06 Weather forecasts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexdwaldron 24 May 2023

Hi all!

Have a trip to Chamonix booked, with planned climbing days between Tues 30/05 - Fri 03/05. It looks like it'll be a bit soggy (https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3027301), with this in mind:

• How reliable are these forecasts/am I likely to find dry rock somewhere around?
  • If not, does anyone have any suggestions on places that aren't a million miles away (we have a car, so maybe <5 hours drive) that will be worth abandoning Cham plans for?

For reference, climbing up to 6C/E1 (so no Ceuse..) with more of an interest in big adventures of any grade, rather than single pitch.

Many thanks in advance!!

darbs 25 May 2023
In reply to alexdwaldron:

Hi mate, IMO the valley forecasts posted at the guides office daily (and posted in most accommodations) are the most reliable although they seem to follow a similar vain in the warmer months.  Fine and dry during the day with risks of thunder and lightning and some rain in the afternoon / evening.  They don't last long but you certainly want to be either back at your accommodation or bivvy and not stuck out high when they arrive.  As the rains usually don't last long most rock is dry by the next morning.  Valley forecasting is notoriously difficult and you should expect and be prepared for everything at anytime but certainly don't rely on the BBC.. enjoy

LakesWinter 25 May 2023

I think the general overall pattern would favour less settled weather over EUrope over the next week as there is forecast to be high pressure over the UK and low pressure over France/Italy. I would personally look at synoptic charts closer to the time and look for where the weather fronts are.

www.chamonix.com and look on the meteo tab will give short range forecasts too.  Corno di Machaby some people go here when it is crap in Chamonix but if the bad weather is to the south it may not be the best bet.........

For forecasts I find the following to be most useful:

Chamonix-meteo.com  (detailed local forecast but only issued once a day)

Meteoblue.com 

The Meteoswiss app- select the Aiguille du Tour, which is on the border above Argentiere. 

If the above agree then there's some certainty!

I'd say that the forecast looks unsettled but certainly not a write-off with a flexible approach. Enjoy your trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...