UKC

got to be a scam?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bezz 26 May 2023
In reply to PaulW:

100% scam, other than the dodgy company bio they also claim the same stock level and price for every model of shoe which is a red flag (along with the ridiculous pricing). 

slawrence1001 26 May 2023
In reply to PaulW:

love the fake La Sportiva logo at the top that doesn't match the URL

Stegosaur 26 May 2023
In reply to PaulW:

> Almost giving the stuff away.

Look up the ICANN registration info for a good indication of whether or not something is a scam, where it isn't already obvious.

> Registered On 2023-05-24

> Registrant:     

> Name: Non-Public Data    

> Kind: individual    
> Mailing Address: 陕西省, CN

More red flags than a Chinese parade.

MischaHY 28 May 2023
In reply to PaulW:

Just to be clear the trade price for those shoes these days is around 78€ so if you find them for less than that then it's a scam because the company is paying for you to buy them. 

CantClimbTom 28 May 2023
In reply to PaulW:

Scam!

https://www.scamwatcher.com/scam/view/636005

"hely Hansen" (sic) hhmiracle.shop

Breathoffreedom.store 

Flightshape.com

The same person/people run several other scam domain fake shops, registered in US but the business hours they claim seem to fall on IST (India Standard Time). 

Post edited at 19:09
In reply to PaulW:

This was defo a scam and through FB mentioning I reported it to La Sportiva.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02ZCyicmX9AQy3LKqDD8MTCsAw...

As a result they have acted.

Pope On A Pull Up Bar.

Mlewis 28 May 2023
In reply to PaulW:

Go outdoors might price match it 😂

VictorM 30 May 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

Which may happen during sales season when stores need to clear shelf space for new collections but as said above: high discount + full size range of stock = scam. 

MischaHY 30 May 2023
In reply to VictorM:

> Which may happen during sales season when stores need to clear shelf space for new collections

I work for a large online outdoor retailer and in 6 years have never seen anything sold for less than the trade price The only time you get a discount bigger than ~60% is when the item was purchased at a special price in high volume or when it's an own-brand that has been further discounted (trade-price is much lower because it comes direct from the factory). Better to be more cautious on the buying end and make sure the stock moves. I can imagine it might be different elsewhere though. 

VictorM 30 May 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

I've seen 50-70% discounts on big-name brands at both reputable online and offline retailers, but it's always been that one size of XXS or XXXL that needs to be cleared - but yes, in general any discount higher than 50% on A-brands should raise eyebrows, especially on popular items with large stock available. 

I work for an outdoor retailer as well so I'm aware of how margins and discounts work

CantClimbTom 30 May 2023
In reply to PaulW:

Don't know what these people specifically are up to but it's not uncommon for a fraudulent site (let's call them dodgy.com) to do the following

• Setup a legitimate looking site
  • Get a card merchant account by showing them the website
  • Advertise high value goods at substantial (too good to be true) discounts
  • Accept and process orders, including YOUR order for discounted goods, taking the money via card transaction. 

So far this all looks legitimate, you don't suspect anything (maybe did your bank's card verification) and there's no fraud as far as dodgy.com card merchant is concerned. In their local jurisdiction they might not be breaking any laws. Immediately after your order (perhaps automated bot, perhaps a person) the following happens

• Dodgy.com places an order for the goods you bought with a legitimate retailer of the goods (legitimate.com) and uses your details for shipping etc. *However* they use stolen card details
  • Legitimate.com ships you the goods
  • You receive the goods and you are happy, what a bargain!

Some time, a short while later..

• The card fraud is detected and YOU have used stolen card details to buy your goods (from legitimate.com). Give them back you thief!!
  • Legitimate.com and their card merchant provider can't see anything about dodgy.com all they know is your thieving transaction -- and where you live!

By the time it eventually gets traced back to dodgy.com their local jurisdiction might not regard any crime committed and they have run off with the money long gone anyway. Onto their next website.

Post edited at 08:18
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

> I think this is scammer:

Nobody has replied and/or clicked up or down my post.🤔

Click on your link now and you will see that the page has been removed.

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Click on your link now and you will see that the page has been removed.

What link are you referring to?

Message Removed 30 May 2023
Reason: Tidying

> What link are you referring to?

The one you posted here https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/got_to_be_a_scam-760089?v=1#x9785338 .

I've clicked the link and it still takes me to the IG profile. 

Ok, sorry. It’s different when I click on it - page not available. Maybe it’s private of something else like that.

> Ok, sorry. It’s different when I click on it - page not available. Maybe it’s private of something else like that.

They followed me first and I had to request to follie them....

.... A while ago I did enter a competition with Climb_Era to win free climbing equipment. Not sure if the link they sent me is safe or not.

https://sites.google.com/view/djjsscc/

Post edited at 01:51
Message Removed 31 May 2023
Reason: Tidying

A quick look and it has too many red flags and an online search says scam by others. There is mention of fake giveaways, etc.

If you have given your credit card details (which seemed to be a “verification” requirement for entry), along with other name, address, etc, I think you should notify your credit card company and bank of a potential scam/fraud attempt, and keep a watchful eye over all suspicious things for the foreseeable future.

In reply to PaulW:

Another La Sportiva scammer.

https://www.facebook.com/100063944617786/posts/pfbid02uipn1mv77FfKBRRvqaLdC...

I have reported it to La Sportiva via mentioning.

Sav

According to Climb_Era IG, it is a fake account.

> A quick look and it has too many red flags and an online search says scam by others. There is mention of fake giveaways, etc.

> If you have given your credit card details (which seemed to be a “verification” requirement for entry), along with other name, address, etc, I think you should notify your credit card company and bank of a potential scam/fraud attempt, and keep a watchful eye over all suspicious things for the foreseeable future.

They sent me more IG DM's today!

YVBIL 

Post edited at 19:20

> A quick look and it has too many red flags and an online search says scam by others. There is mention of fake giveaways, etc.

> If you have given your credit card details (which seemed to be a “verification” requirement for entry), along with other name, address, etc, I think you should notify your credit card company and bank of a potential scam/fraud attempt, and keep a watchful eye over all suspicious things for the foreseeable future.

I haven't gone that far.

YVBIL 

john arran 04 Jun 2023

Please give us enough details to be able to sell on to scammers. In return, we'll enter you into the 'biggest sucker' competition and you could win the top prize of a gold-plated unicorn*

*Winners to be announced after the company ceases trading and turns into a completely separate legal entity with almost exactly the same name and the same mailing list.

It’s good you haven’t given them any of your details, and iirc you have already reported them. Just unfollow/delete/block or whatever the procedure is with IG (I don’t have it) to stop DMs and don’t respond to them if they somehow contact you again in future. 

Be careful in future and protect your details the best you can.

Fishmate 04 Jun 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

> Just to be clear the trade price for those shoes these days is around 78€ so if you find them for less than that then it's a scam because the company is paying for you to buy them. 

Agreed, the last time I bought Solutions, they were trade plus VAT at £78.

In reply to john arran:

> Please give us enough details to be able to sell on to scammers. In return, we'll enter you into the 'biggest sucker' competition and you could win the top prize of a gold-plated unicorn*

> *Winners to be announced after the company ceases trading and turns into a completely separate legal entity with almost exactly the same name and the same mailing list.

Wowzeroonies! A reply from John Arran of The Zone (E9 6c) and Doctor Dolittle (E10 7a) fame!😮

Thanks legend.😀

You may like my thread here about problems being routes and visa versa. 

YVBIL

> It’s good you haven’t given them any of your details, and iirc you have already reported them. Just unfollow/delete/block or whatever the procedure is with IG (I don’t have it) to stop DMs and don’t respond to them if they somehow contact you again in future. 

I have blocked this account and I have my Banks App to monitor my finances regularly.

> Be careful in future and protect your details the best you can. 

I am very careful and monitor my finances through the App. 😀

YVBIL

It might be best not to share your email address on UKC. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...