UKC

East Raven Fatality

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Conway 06 Mar 2004
Sadly, a climber lost his life today on East Raven Crag.

Best wishes to his family and friends at this tragic time.
Anonymous 07 Mar 2004
In reply to Neil Conway: yeah a very sad time in the lakes for those who's families and freinds have been involved in these 2 tragedies.
James Jackson 07 Mar 2004
In reply to Neil Conway:

Is this anyway associated with the recent rockfall, or was this on the other Raven crag?
OP Neil Conway 07 Mar 2004
In reply to James Jackson:
Taken from the LAMRT website:
"Rock Climbing
East Raven Crag
Gt Langdale
6th March at 15.36 A climber fell while leading.
Unfortunately some of his runners failed and he hit the ground.
His injuries were very serious and sadly he died as a result."
James Jackson 07 Mar 2004
In reply to Neil Conway:

What a shame. My commiserations to anyone reading this who is involved.
MICKLEDORE 07 Mar 2004
In reply to Neil Conway: That would explain the high police activity at ODG today.
In reply to James Jackson:
> Is this anyway associated with the recent rockfall, or was this on the other Raven crag?

The rock fall was on the Far East Raven crag, the accident was on East Raven and is not connected.

Alan
 Paul at work 10 Mar 2004
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX:

On uk rivers guidebook forums, they are discussing who the casualty was. Not going to post his name here, but he had done a lot of paddling in his time!
Stuart Miller 10 Mar 2004
While this is very sad for all concerned (and the climber concerned was a friend of mine)I don't understand the reluctance to put a name on this forum which may be of interest to people. When the family may not have been informed I can understand, but the climber has been named on national TV and on the canoe forum as mentioned.
What exactly are you trying to avoid?
Stuart
stewart bertram 10 Mar 2004
In reply to Stuart Miller: I think out of respect for te climber and his family and freinds this should not become a topic of debate within this section.

If you would like to discuss this further please post this topic on the ROCKTALK section.
Stuart Miller 11 Mar 2004
In reply to stewart bertram:

I thought this was the rocktalk Forum.!

I am a friend of the deceased.

While I am willing to respect the fact that people are not naming the deceased here I am still confused as to the reasons. Why is it disrespectful to name them?
I understand that before the family are notified it may come as a complete shock and be a nasty way to find out news but for friends and aquaintances it could well be the only way they get to hear.
The canoeing scene which he was also very much a part of has had no qualms about reporting the accident and the news forum concerened has only been replied to with ultimate respect,praise and condolences by people who knew him. I would have thought the climbing community could equally show their respects.
Stuart
James Jackson 11 Mar 2004
In reply to Stuart Miller:

I suppose people don't want to be seen (rightly or wrongly) as being morbid, discussing / speculating what happened etc etc in a public forum.
 Skyfall 11 Mar 2004

RT is a funny old place; sometimes too much in your face and sometimes (as here) reluctant to talk about things in an adult way.

It's always a great shame when a fellow climber has an accident. I for one would be grateful if you would care to post brief details.

Anyway, condolences to his family and friends.
Fit as F**k 11 Mar 2004
In reply to Neil Conway: sorry to here about this tragedy and my thopughts are with the family. do you mind me asking which climb he was on?
Jess C 11 Mar 2004
In reply to Neil Conway: also knew the person involved. thoughts are with his family at this time.
Deek 11 Mar 2004
In reply to JonC:
I agree, its bizarre. If you live in the Lakes and know lots of climbers and canoeists you're just left wondering. In these cases its usually best to risk being too open rather than closed with the chance that good may come of it. Narrow minded if you ask me.
 Dave Garnett 11 Mar 2004

I agree, there's no reason not to name him at this stage but perhaps erring on the side of sensitivity isn't such a bad thing.

I understand from people who were there that his young children were at the crag too, which makes it especially tragic and distressing. It certainly made me think about family climbing days.
 Paul at work 11 Mar 2004
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Its one of those times, that if i had posted his name, i would be told that i was been unsensive.

But on this occasion it has gone the other way. When i posted about his name been on the paddling site, i was unaware that his name had been released in the press!
Deek 11 Mar 2004
In reply to Paul at work:
Phew....really touched me when I saw it was Terry Storey. I never met him but he clearly influenced many people and was unselfish in that he took other people along with him on his adventures. Very sad time for his family.
 markmac 11 Mar 2004
In reply to Fit as F**k:

Unfortunately I was there when the accident happened. The route was Nimrod, HVS, I believe.
dante 12 Mar 2004
> (In reply to stewart bertram)
>
> I thought this was the rocktalk Forum.!
>
> I am a friend of the deceased.
>
> While I am willing to respect the fact that people are not naming the deceased here I am still confused as to the reasons. Why is it disrespectful to name them?
> I understand that before the family are notified it may come as a complete shock and be a nasty way to find out news but for friends and aquaintances it could well be the only way they get to hear.
> The canoeing scene which he was also very much a part of has had no qualms about reporting the accident and the news forum concerened has only been replied to with ultimate respect,praise and condolences by people who knew him. I would have thought the climbing community could equally show their respects.
> Stuart

perhaps its because the forum/thread started from a third party without any interest in the matter and not friends remembering. people can feel that maybe its inapprpriate to pry.
Sad World 12 Mar 2004
In reply to Deek:
> (In reply to Paul at work)
> Phew....really touched me when I saw it was Terry Storey. I never met him but he clearly influenced many people and was unselfish in that he took other people along with him on his adventures. Very sad time for his family.

A huge loss, very sad. This man is a legend. Inspirational. Thoughts are with his family and friends. Respect.
ex student 12 Mar 2004
In reply to Sad World:

He was my tutor at college when I was there. A very sad loss, my thought are with his family at this time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...