UKC

Birminghams Rockface

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nick Budup 12 Jun 2004
Just started climbing there at Europe's Premier indoor rah rah rah and digging it.
Anyone give me the lowdown on it? Tuesdays seem to be busy and there seems to be a season ticket crew who are there like every time I go.
It's expensive but its worth it at the mo.
Every other post on this forum seems to slate the place.
Discuss?
dylan burgess 12 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup: the staff are rude and uninterested in climbing the place in whole is dull and a total rip off. The bouldering wall is shite in fact everything about the place is shite shite shite
 dart 13 Jun 2004
In reply to dylan burgess:
I go to the rockface nearly every week and on the whole I find most of the staff ok. Perhaps if you use the suggestions box at the wall and be more constructive with your comments your views may be listened to. As to cost compare it to other facilities and activities in the area and I think it works out to be good value. There is a wide range of grades to have a go at and at the end of the day if you do not enjoy it there why go.
dylan burgess 13 Jun 2004
In reply to dart: errr i dont go there any more!!!! Both warwick and gloucester are cheaper plus the shop at gloucester is excellent( has the rockface got a new one yet?).
OP hal@work 14 Jun 2004
In reply to dylan burgess: have to agree with ya there brum is a waste of time
 Wingnut 14 Jun 2004
In reply to dart:
I've used the suggestions box on several occasions and the answers I've had back have all, without exception, completely missed the point - in some cases I would suspect this was deliberate.
I personally don't have a problem with the staff, but this sometimes seems to be quoted as a problem - some people get on Ok with them, some don't.

As for the centre itself, the bouldering area is too small and not changed often enough, but the lead/toprope area is very good and could be even better with some tweaks to the route-setting style (making routes harder by providing lots of rubbish holds instead of by making the jugs further apart, for instance).
 Wingnut 14 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:
It's always fairly busy! At this time of year, sunny weekday evenings are a good bet - anyone who's got the transport to climb outside instead will be doing so. In the winter, Wednesday nights are *very* busy - several clubs meet there on Wednesdays and it's sports time for the university as well!

If it's stupidly busy, can be worth going bloddering at Aston Uni over the road instead.
 Paul at work 14 Jun 2004
In reply to Wingnut: or warwick with their new bouldering wall!
 Wingnut 14 Jun 2004
In reply to Paul at work:
Yep, but Aston's closer once you've realised that the Rockfarce is over-full!

(Really must get to Warwick more often - unfortunately it's an additional train and a bus away.)
Staff Member 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:

As a member of staff at the rockface i like to ad my own comments.

all the staff work very hard at the rockface in order to produce the best climbing we can with the facilities and equipment provided.

the staff on the whole are very friendly and helpfull and genrally the customers are to. There are a small number of customers that use the centre that are just complete idiots they do think they know everything and are just completly impolite basicly up there own arse. If you have a problem with the rockface in the future why don't you come down to the centre and sort it out face to face, we will be more that willing to sort it out with there and than rather than postings poinless cowardly emails in a forum.

i thank all the people in support of what we try to do yes sometines we get it wrong but on the whole i think we get it right.
OP Anonymous 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Staff Member: I think that some of the staff are a bit up themselves, but the management/owners are arses!
dylan burgess 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Staff Member: whats pointless and cowardly about posting the comment that the rockface is shit huh!! Go through other forums and threads a lot of people are saying the same things!! cowardly??? Your the one that aint put your name....tw*t!
OP Anonymous 20 Jun 2004
In reply to dylan burgess: Email me if you've got a problem!

TW*T!

Andy13mcmahon@aol.com
dylan burgess 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous: you have mail.
O'Sul 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:

I climb at the rockface and have to say that whilst it has its fair share of problems, its the only decent venue that exists in Birmingham in terms of providing a good number of bouldering problems, top rope climbs of all grades, and lead climbs from very easy to pretty athletic.
That said it costs a bomb, I don't give a toss about what other things in Brum cost, for the best part of a tenner I would expect to have the boulder problems changed more often, I think the current lot have been up for more than 2 months. And as regards staff, some are fine, a few of them are tossers. Ain't that just life though? I have been very concerned about the standards of belaying that are tolerated in the centre, and often I'll say hi to a mate only to learn of another near miss the day before etc etc.
Still waiting out for news about this other place, supposedly opening at the end of the summer, but until then I'll continue to climb at the rockface, so if you're ever stuck for a belay drop me a line.
OP Anonymous 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Staff Member: Many people have commented on the poor customer relationship from the staff. I think after paying the highest entry price in the area you would expect a warm welcome,unfortunatly this is not the case,there is a couple of staff members who seem to let the side down,your attitude of certain people who use your wall is rather poor indeed proving what people say about the staff!!!!
Kirk Sadler 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:

I climbed there on thursday for the first time and a couple of things i picked on was!

It is a total rip off for whats there!
There is a negative atmosphere!
Seems to be run by non-climbers!
No CLimbing Shop!
Nick Budup 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:
Well I'm still going and enjoying it more every time. People have posted previously with strong feelings but i cant relate to them, having had no negative experiences. Only thing I'm aware of is the shit hot posse but thats the observation of a newbie and youre gonna get that anywhere. Its a really good facility and the only one in Brum. Only thing lacking is a bar which would be spot on.
I reckon the place would benefit from competition (like anything), maybe resulting in lower charges and more bang for buck.
OP alan hare 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Staff Member: Check the worst climing wall in the country thread on planet fear. A lot of people are sayin the same there. And i agree the atmosphere is awful there and the price is far far too high. As a staff member i think you should have worded your thread a bit better,you have in my opinion just proved that the staff ARE inconsiderate and impolite. No wonder its such a bad atmoshere.
O'Sul 20 Jun 2004
I think that part of the problem stems from it being the only climbing venue in Birmingham itself, esp when considering how far away any real rock is. Therefore you end up with punters who would much rather be on the real stuff (and lets face it, plastic will never quite make up for it!) and staff who get a bit arrogant about having such a tight control on the local scene. There are a few options for bouldering, but if you want to climb anything its really only the Rockface, or the Ackers where you have that option.
OP not a staff member 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Staff Member: So you think some of the people that use your facility(they pay your wage!)are idiots?? tut tut tut your not exactly helping restore peoples faith in using it again.
Iain 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup: Sorry to change this topic a bit, But has anyone had a look at the "slug" building 5 mins walk from the indoor face. >Very intresting holds?
OP ebdon 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Iain: the rock face is good as long as you like juggy boring problems/routes with the occoaional big move to boost the grade with no real thought put into them
Iain 20 Jun 2004
In reply to ebdon: Have not really been there too much, Don't like the fee! But have you seen the slug building it looks like its been made for climbers!!!
OP Anonymous 20 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

S!" D:@*&$*£&h owner of a certain climbing wall in Brum is a weasel faced tosser,only good thing is his birds fit last time i saw her...
OP MJ 21 Jun 2004
In reply to Everyone: A lot of people seem to have the same ISP address ie "cache-loh-aa07.proxy.aol.com", funny that!

MJ
 Mooncat 21 Jun 2004
In reply to MJ:

Erm that'd be any of the millions who use AOL then.
 BennyBoy 21 Jun 2004
In reply to Staff Member: No way staff member is a bummer boy insulting his own customers!
I'm in agreement to Mr Burgess the Rock Face has gone to the dogs it's a shame because it hasn't always been like this, and 80% is down to the big headed 'staff memeber'(s)!
Go on offer me out over the net I'm sure we will all be impressed....NOT
Mike Kerby 21 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:

The Rockface is really having bad press of late. Almost every thread started complains about either the ridiculously high entry cost, the amenities, or the biggest problem seems to be the staff.

I prefer to climb at Aston Uni these days as it is a good wall to train at and the people who visit it on a regular basis seem to be genuine. Nobody tries to show off and appear better than anyone else, people usually chat and help each other out with problems, and it's fairly priced.

I personally have never had a problem with the staff at The Rockface, but then again they seem to change with alarming regularity these days. The few regular oldie staff members are quite pleasant once you get talking to them.

Remember that the staff can only work with the facilities they have been given and the budget they have, which Duncan seems to have kept to an all time low. If we are all honest the main gripe that we all have is that the place cost too much to visit and we never see any improvements in the place that justifies the continued price rise. I am putting off going at the moment because I don't want to be stung the £12.50 entry (+subs) but if the McGregors lowered the entry price to £4 and abolished the annual subs then we would propbably all be raving about how good value it is.

If 'Staff Member' was one of my employees then he would be marching out the door right now. If he is indeed genuine then there is no excuse for calling your customers 'tw*ts', whether you agree or not and i'm sure the management will have a word to say if they see this thread. It's a shame that Duncan does not log in and read these threads, mabe he could give us some answers to these questions and tell us why 'Europe's Supposed Premier Wall' costs so much to use!

In any case, as has already been said, there is no alternative at the moment. The new wall has been put back several months and won't open until the end of 2004 so it looks like everone will have to either put up or shut up till then!!!
OP Anonymous 21 Jun 2004
In reply to Mike Kerby:
hello brumies!
I climb from time to time at the rockface as my brother lives in birmingham. I have found the place to be excellent. the lead walls are great and some of the highest ive seen in an indoor venue. the bouldering area is very good however it could be bigger in relation to the centre as a whole. i dont think the price is too bad for what it is, its way cheaper then any of the london walls also if you think the staff in brum are rude try going to the castle or westway in london the staff there are far more rude and annoying. i personally have allways found the staff at the rockface down to earth and friendly.
as far as belaying standards are concerned, if you cant belay properly you shouldnt be in a climbing centre. i prefer brums attitude to this then the walls that have gistapo like staff wondering round telling people how to belay every ten minutes!.
last time i was at the rockface is was empty enough to do a full traverse of the smaller room! quite a nice climb actually! and this was on a sunday afternoon!
WhiteKnight 21 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:
1) Too expensive
2) Holds are too old and polished in too many places
3) Staff can be confrontational/abrupt in their manner.

Apart from that it's on it's way out as it's going to be knocked down. That's why the owners don't put any money into it......
be quiet 24 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:

I was at the rockface last night and I actually saw a camel in there. Surely that's worth any entrance fee!
Nick Budup 24 Jun 2004
In reply to be quiet:
i found a pot of gold on the bouldering mat. Must have been left by a leprechaun.
 Wingnut 24 Jun 2004
In reply to be quiet:
Must have been a stealth camel - I didn't see it!

(And is it just me, or is the toilet feature just crying out for a really bad practical joke involving squashed malt loaf?)
O'Sul 24 Jun 2004
In reply to Nick Budup:

Ref my last, to the Rockraces credit they've changed the bouldering problems and *i think* all of the lead climbs.
Why they seem to insist on leaving it so long and doing it all at once, I don't know - but at least its been done!
Anyhow, enough of this dull chat, if you lot were real climbers you wouldn't give a toss about pulling on plastic!
OP the real chopper 24 Jun 2004
In reply to O'Sul: who is the staff member tosser on this thread i think i wanna meet him face to face tell us who you are i'll be up on friday you total cock
 Wingnut 25 Jun 2004
In reply to O'Sul:
It's been changed because they had to strip everything for a comp a couple of weeks ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...