UKC

Living to a ripe old age

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
trangia 16 Jun 2004
Seeing the thread about the death of a retired guide at 103, I remember having a conversation with retired old Zermatt guide (where there seem to be a lot of old guides). His theory was that mountaineers tended to live longer than average because:-

a) mountaineering is one of the best forms of CV exercise, and when climbing, this can go on for hours on end,

b) it is usually a lifelong sport, and as you get older so you can pace yourself,

c) mountaineers are often of lean, wiry build, carrying little excess fat, and

d) the sport is practiced in a clean atmosphere with less pollution than other sports.

Would others agree with this or not?

daveforey 16 Jun 2004
In reply to trangia:

yes, i agree

(you looked lonely, so i thought i'd reply)
 stonewall 16 Jun 2004
In reply to trangia:

I would tend to agree as well..
richard turkington 16 Jun 2004
In reply to trangia:

does this mean people of a lean, wiry build, carrying little excess fat, make better mountaineers?

doesn't it help to have a few extra pounds (of fat) for insulation and also just in case you get stuck up in the mountains with little food left?
 Allan Thomson 16 Jun 2004
In reply to richard turkington:
Have heard that generally mountaineers bulk up when they are on expeditions. I shall have to check this with a friend of mine who is one.
 Fiend 17 Jun 2004
In reply to trangia:

Ummmm...

What about bouldering??
 stonewall 17 Jun 2004
In reply to richard turkington:

...as in the case of don whillans, who was legendary for carrying a little extra at high altitude. however, as is well known, he did not live to a ripe old age.
tb 17 Jun 2004
In reply to stonewall:

Have a friend who was, for a long time, the youngest summiteer. He's certainly not lean and wiry and never was to my knowledge. Awesome bloke mind..... just blows you away

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...