UKC

lumps on toes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
monks 30 Jun 2004
hi,

i've developed a bit on a bulge on both my big toes. they're caused by my climbing shoes, a bit tight at that particular point. its not like hard skin or a blister, its just a firm bulge rising from the top of my toe, slightly to the side away from the toes on the rest of that foot.

they developed gradually, and havent gone down at all even tho i havent been climbing for a few weeks now.

anyone know wot they are?
or wot to do?
apart from the obvious purchasement of a better fitting shoe or two.

Dominion 30 Jun 2004
In reply to monks:

bunions
Dom Orsler 30 Jun 2004
In reply to Dominion:

They're not bunions. You'll find pretty much all sport climbers who wear very tight shoes and have been for five years or so have them. They're just areas where your toe has said 'need a bit of protection there'. I've got 'em and all my mates have got 'em.
 Dominion 30 Jun 2004
In reply to Dom Orsler:

> They're not bunions.

I know, I was getting my corns and bunions mixed up, and posted my corrected reply on monks other thread, titled
"lumps on your toes" at http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=91448

Got 'em myself, particularly on my left big toe
Mark Page 30 Jun 2004
In reply to monks: Think you'll find they're adventitious bursae. Formed in an attempt by your body to protect these vulnerable pressure 'hot spots'. They are prone to becoming inflamed (bursitis), but if they're pain-free then leave well alone.

Take it from me - i'm a podiatrist.
OP JonC-unregistered 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Mark Page:

> if they're pain-free then leave well alone.

erm, and what if they're not pain free? which comes on after a few hours in snug shoes (and only on those specific spots)?

only asking on behalf of a friend of course...
 TN 01 Jul 2004
In reply to JonC-unregistered:

You'll need your feet amputating....

Mine only hurt (a LOT!) just after I've taken my shoes off, for a couple of minutes, then they're fine. Bizzare, huh?
OP JonC-unregistered 01 Jul 2004
In reply to TN:

> You'll need your feet amputating....

you mean, my - ahem - friend will need his feet amputating - I'm not the one with freak feet...

> Mine only hurt (a LOT!) just after I've taken my shoes off, for a couple of minutes, then they're fine. Bizzare, huh?

Yeh, that's when they hurt the worst, or so I'm told...

TN 01 Jul 2004

Oops yes, sorry. I meant your friend.
 sutty 01 Jul 2004

Did ahem, 'your friend' ever discover where he picked up that nasty infection in the nether regions? Was it from that trip to the states or did they visit juicy lucys in Bangkok?

AndiT 02 Jul 2004
In reply to monks:
Nowt to worry about, I've had them for years. The only problem I find is if you climb a lot of cracks your boots wear out at that point. Also it makes your boot less pointy at the end making some toe hooks harder.

I also have a lump in the palm of my hand below my ring finger, had that for years too. I don't know what it is, but it's getting bigger!!
 BennyBoy 02 Jul 2004
In reply to monks: I find that Boreal's do this to my big toe and since changing to 5.10 and Red Chilli it hasn't been so bad.
Or my feet are just that battered now I dont realise as much??
monks 02 Jul 2004
yeah my lumps only start to hurt after ive been wearing my shoes for a while too, kind of comes in little bursts of pain, nothing serious then. thanks people.
 TN 02 Jul 2004
In reply to BennyBoy:
Weird innit? I currently have Red Chillis and they're terrible. (Going to be consigned to the 'spare pair' when my Ascents are fixed.)
I'm not bad with 5.10s but I can't wear Boreals at all - they just don't fit me...
I DO have nice feet though, even with the lumps on my big toes. (Today my nails are a beautiful shade of electric blue...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...