UKC

Jules Cartwright dies in the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian Parnell 01 Jul 2004
As reported on another thread here. Jules has died while guiding on the Piz Badille sending shock waves through our little climbing community.

I used to describe Jules as the Alex MacIntyre of our generation. A natural in the mountains (his family are keen climbers and had sewn the seeds with trips to the hills shortly after he started to walk) he exuded confidence and skill. His level in the mountains was matched probably only by his level in the bar, where it was normal for him to be the last one standing in the early hours and then the first up for some horrifically early alpine or Scottish start for the hills.

These characteristics attracted not only the most talented partners amongst the British alpine scene (Nick Bullock, Andy Cave, Rich Cross, Al Powell, Simon Yates, etc) but also the best amongst the world's alpine elite. It was natural therefore for Jules to team up with Marko Prezelj on his visits to Scotland where they tore through back to back rare repeats and second ascents of many of hardest routes. In typical Jules style he steered Marko away from the big numbers in the Northern Corries which Jules viewed as mere cragging, instead heading for the long walk ins and huge adventures of the North West. The pair's friendship continued and they were all set to go on expedition this autumn.

Jules's life was dedicated to the mountains; he was sailing through his guides scheme, had bought a house in Chamonix and had his sights set on the hardest most outrageous routes in the Himalayas. Even robbed of his chance on these futuristic routes the climbs he managed were amazing. Twice nominated for the Piolet D'Or his stand out route must be his and Rich Cross's 12 day alpine style ascent of the enormous and supremely committing North West ridge of Ama Dablam. A line that had seen almost a dozen previous attempts including a bolted seige by an 8 person Russian team.

I was lucky enough to climb with Jules on my first big trip to the mountains. A real greenhorn when Jules suggested a trip to Alaska I jumped at the chance. The fact that he had planned a new route on the Moonflower Buttress of Hunter (at that time hallowed ground and the testbed of American alpinism) didn't phase me as Jules emmanated so much confidence he made it seem like the sort of thing anyone would try. We met Mark Twight (a god like figure to me at the time) who told us you couldn't afford to fall in the mountains. It soon became clear to me that Jules was really trying something special here when he took over half a dozen falls. One pitch which saw repeated lobs he graded A2, when I protested he consented to the mysterious A2++! Higher after I broke a rib, Jules took over and towed me for a further 3 days climbing including a 36 hour storm spent battered by avalanches. When we eventually began descending one morning Jules had a look in his eye which I couldn't quite place. Methodically he sped us down the 35 plus abseils dragging me into camp that evening and immediately wandered over to the last remaining bush plane on the glacial airstrip. Next thing I knew by some cunning Jules had arranged a flyout for the weekend for 50 bucks and within an hour we were celebrating in the Fairview Inn.

That to me sums up Jules his drive on what became one of the hardest routes of it's type around, his generosity in schooling me in the dark alpine arts and most importantly his ability to not only climb seriously but to seriously have fun.

My condolences go out to Louise, his girlfriend, and to all his family (who I know he was really close to).

We miss you Jules you were an inspiration.
OP Anonymous 01 Jul 2004
Jules,

Peace!
 Rubbishy 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

As a bumbly alpinist with big dreams I had followed several of Jule's trips and read about some pretty audacious and impresseive climbing. IMHO the Macintyre comparison is probably a good one.

A tragic loss and my condolences to his family and friends.
Beast 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
Absolutely shocking news. As an armchair mountaineer I'd read so much about his ascents, and expected to read so much more. A tragic loss. My condolences to his family, and all those who knew him.
 MattH 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

I had the pleasure of climbing with Jules in the Peak District on a number of occasions, and of seeing his legendary prowess at the bar. He'll be sorely missed. My condolences to his family and friends.
OP Anonymous 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: I never even met the guy but sitting here at work I feel gutted and as though i've lost someone close to me.

When I read about his exploits in the mountains it gave me real inspiration to climb my bumbly aspirations.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Mr Cartwright I hope you find real peace at the highest of all altitudes.

OP Anonymous 01 Jul 2004
really tragic news. sounds like an amazing character, and from what i've read about him in the magazines, and incredible climber.
J2 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

A very well written account of a sad event, I share with everyone on here by wishing comfort and peace to his family and loved ones. A true star of British Climbing has been lost, but his light will enter lives for time to come, as they remember what he did while he was with us. A really Inspirational young man!
 James Edwards 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crêpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the stanage boulderes wear black cotton gloves.

He was our North, our South, our East and West,
Our working week and our Sunday rest,
Our noon, our midnight, our talk, our song;
We thought that he would last for ever: it seems we were wrong.

The mountains are not wanted now: pull down every one;
Pack up the axes and throw away the rack;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
climbing haggis 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Condolences to his family and friends. His route on Ama Dablam was truly inspirational.
Paul Stephenson 01 Jul 2004
I am one of those lucky people whose path in life meandered and intertwined with that of Jules. Yesterday early news of Jules’ death rocked my boat as it has for so many others.

Known by many as an astounding mountaineer, Jules had the utmost respect amongst his contemporaries. In the macho world of British mountaineering it is widely accepted that Jules was the man for the big occasion.

For me, as for so many, he’s been a larger than life figure over the last 5 years. Time spent with Jules was always memorable whether it be a day in the hills or a day in the pub (and there’s been plenty of the latter!). As well as being inspirational in what he did, he also had the fantastic quality of being hugely enthusiastic about all other aspects of life and always had time to chat about other people’s jobs, relationships and passions - a truly great bloke.

There is going to be a huge void left in our community. Jules’ life has reached out and influenced a lot of people; it has been a cruel twist that’s taken him away from us.

I feel privileged to have shared some of my life with you Jules. There’ll be tears in the Guinness tonight. Small Paul.
Hornster 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: "Everyone dies but not everyone truly lives" is a quote that comes to mind. Without a doubt, Jules truly lived and lived it with a passion not seen very often.

May we all live and climb with the passion and confidence that Jules did in honour to his memory.

100% inspiration without a doubt!!
OP Anonymous 01 Jul 2004
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
BenP 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Damn that's a shame! My heartfelt condolences go to his lass and his family.

Also, a message to anyone going to the alps this summer, whatever your objectives, if it can happen to one of the greats, it can happen to one of us. So take it steady!
 Damo 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Upstairs at the TAT bunkhouse in Talkeetna in early June 2000 I met a blonde bloke with braces on his teeth who looked even more like shit than I did. I asked him what he had been doing and straight up he told me "we did a new route on Hunter. It's called The Knowledge". That he had none of that false modesty and pretend understatement bullshit that infects alpinism hit me at the time and I still remember it now. It was a plain and simple statement of what they had done, no bragging, just a hint of justifiable pride. I can still hear him say "The Knowledge".
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

D
tim colquhoun 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: i met jules in kathmandu late last year and we had a couple of big nights on the town ,my hazy memory of him was that he was a fantastic bloke who was great fun to be around ,im sure he will be very sadly missed by his friends and family.i will be on ama dablam in october and will have a beer for him then
 220bpm 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Nicely put thoughts.

A great loss, in many regards.

Shall raise a glass to Jules tonight.

Respect.

OP Anonymous 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Very sad news indeed to lose such an outstanding mountaineer - not promising already outstanding. Peace to him and deep condolences to his friends and family.
deano 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: jules was a great climber but also he was a great friend .
Deano & Cheryl 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: Jules was a great climber but also he was a great friend . He will be missed terribly but never forgotten.

Mike Hearn 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
I am so sorry to hear about the tragic loss of Jules and my heartfelt sympathies go out to his family, friends and the climbing community as a whole.
If I could also just mention a couple of words about the other climber who died with Jules. She was Julie Colverd, my best climbing mate over the last 10 years. Although not of the same standard as Jules, she was an accomplished and determined climber who shared a similar passion for climbing and the mountains and always had time to pass on friendly words of advice and encouragement to those less experienced than her. She was a great friend to me, my family and to many, many others, always there when needed. We shared so many good evenings at Harrisons, Bowles, High Rocks and Mile End where she was known by many. Julie, we will all miss you.
OP EB 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Mike Hearn: rarely have I been so emotionally touched as the last while. How can I even try to put what I think in words?

wherever they are now I hope they can feel what we feel for them
OP Graham B 02 Jul 2004
In reply to EB:
I never knew him, but he was an inspiration - both through the press and those friends of mine that knew him.

I'm utterly speachless. Numb.

Condolences to all close to Jules.
 Colin Wells 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Stephen Goodwin's very nice obit is in today's Independent:

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/story.jsp?story=537224
Jo Wood 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

hey jules!

do you remember that trip to the mello
- ciaran stepping in for your lead on that slab and calling you a f cking alpinist?
- guiness and espresso for breakfast?
- play fighting in the street outside the pizzeria?

promise to come see us in chamonix at christmas you said...i'm not much at skiing i said maybe i'll go to font - toying with you...

love to louise and family

when the ones so closely loved
have ill befall them in high places
i can't help but feel anger at their rashness being there
that they chanced their life to cheaply
that they stole from those who loved them
that they ran into the danger like a child playing dare
but i know the ones i love
wouldn't be quite the same people
if they didn't have that love that drove them time and time again
to seek the freedom and the cool winds
rocky peaks and snowy mountains
they could no more leave the mountains
than i could stop loving them

jo wood
Ian Parnell 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Jo Wood: Piece by Ed Douglas in Guardian, I believe that there will be an obit to follow.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1252251,00.html
OP nick at work 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Ive been trying to find some quote or comment on the net, something poignent which has stood the test of time but nothing really fits. I met Jules on a number of occassions, the first on a return trip to Chamonix following a serious accident a few years earlier, he tried to persuade me to jack my job in and go and attempt a route on the North face of the grand jorasse. I declined.

Jules was a nice guy and a fierce climber.
Respect
Hornster 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: Does anyone know if Jules had his own website? I have had a Google but couldn't find anything. I am trying to find a few photographs of Jules.
OP Anonymous 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Hornster:

Jules ran a expedition company with Jon Bracy.

www.vertigo-mountainguides.com

There are lots of pictues of him on expeditions there. Particularly him and Rich on Ama Dablam...

www.vertigo.co.uk
Gerard 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

A true great, inspirational to us all.
Condolences to his family and friends.

Gerard
OP Rob Jarvis 02 Jul 2004
I climbed with Jules once in The Northern Corries - it was one of his first Scottish Winter routes but he knocked me out with the power of his enthusiasm. Never had I climbed with anyone with such supreme confidence and the skill to justify it. We had both been at an interview for the Night watch job at Glenmore Lodge. Jules was disappointed he didn't get that job but clearly went on to follow a 'path' in the mountains that he was well suited to and outstanding at. Respect and affection - his routes will continue to offer inspiration to alpinists all over the world for many years to come.

My sincere condolences go out to his close friends and family.
tim nadin 03 Jul 2004
I didn't know Jules as a climber but as someone who was always interested in what I had to say and gave me a kick up the arse with my music writing. Very encouraging and always had time for me and loved to laugh. I will miss him, and I am absolutely gutted for my amazing friend louise. My love x
OP sg 03 Jul 2004
would just like to add my condolences to the family and friends of both jules and julie.

I too have read of jules' incredible ascents and to an armchair alpinist the ama dablam climb with rich cross stood out as particularly audacious and impressive. I still think of myself as a reasonably young man and yet Jules - despite having achieved so much - was four years younger than me. deaths like these are tragic at any age but when someone is so young and so talented and clearly had so much left to achieve it seems somehow harder to bear.
ian wilson-young 03 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Thank you for your compelling tribute to Jules Cartwright.
Although I had never met Jules, I had heard from other climbers what a down to earth and modest person he was, even considering his climbing ability and achievements. Reading about his exploits was and will always be an inspiration. So very sorry to hear this news.
Neill Robbins 03 Jul 2004
I have similar sentiments to Tim. I didn't know Jules half as well as I would have liked. But what I do know was that he was a friend, and he made his girlfriend, Louise extremely happy.

On the occassions that we met, he was always good fun to be around. He always struck me as somebody that loved the outdoors, knew what he wanted in life, and was bloody well gonna live it.

Also, having read some the lovely things written about him here and on other sites, I'm struck by how much he was loved, how much he will be missed, and what talent and passion he had for climbing.

I never really understood quite how good he was, 'cause when you would ask what he'd been doing recently he'd say he'd been climbing, and done 'some routes'. Its only now, that i realise just how understated he was being...

So cheers mate. I'm glad our paths crossed. I'll miss you. I know that wherever you are there's plenty of beer, the party is having it, and there's sunlight on the mountains...

Peace.
Ian Parnell 03 Jul 2004
Geoff Mason 03 Jul 2004
In reply to Mike Hearn:

I didn't know Julie very well (we climbed together for a fortnight in the Alps in 1999) but I would fully endorse your comments. I was shocked and immensely saddened by this tragic news.

My sincere condolences to all her family and friends.
Neill Robbins 03 Jul 2004
All,

I apologise about doing this in public forum, but I do not have all your phone numbers / email addresses, and don't know how else to get the word around to those that matter...

Louise Richards, Jules' girlfriend, is a good friend of mine. She is in Cham with Jules' parents at the moment, sorting out his funeral arrangements. She has asked me to let people know that there is going to be a funeral for Jules on Saturday 10th July for family, followed by a celebration of his life nearby at around midday.

She has asked me forward this information on to those of you knew, or had climbed with Jules that would like to attend the celebration. Also, if anybody has pictures or funny stories to tell about his exploits, then to bring them also.

Obviously Lou and his family are very upset, and are still in a state of shock, so I have no idea as yet about the size and type of gathering that they would wish.

If you would like to attend, if you could mail me at the address provided here then I can talk to you further about the location and other details.

Kind regards
Neill Robbins
OP bomb 04 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Used to love reading about his latest adventures in the mags, one of the modern day real hard men.
Very sad, my condolences.
OP vivian scott 04 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: tragic news, true to form, jules was propping up the bar into the small hours in the Jekyll last saturday (before starting the guiding season the next morning), raving to me about guiding the cassin and his trips later this year.
So long jules
francoise 04 Jul 2004
In reply to Neill Robbins:

I never knew Jules, but, can you please pass on to his girlfriend and family that the Chamonix Rocktalk picnic group will be raising a cheer for Jules.
Malcolm Reid 04 Jul 2004
In reply to Mike Hearn:

As another person who climbed extensively with Julie Colvert on Southern Sandstone rock, I would like to support the sentiments expressed by Mike Hearn. Julie was a wonderful friend and will be deeply missed by all who knew her.

I wish to express my deepest sympathy to the families and friends of both climbers who died in this tragic accident.

Malcolm Reid
Ian @theBMC 05 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Jules Cartwright…
died on 30 June 2004 while guiding the Cassin Route on Piz Badile.
There will be a celebration of Jules’ life at 12 noon on Saturday 10 July 2004 at Brobury House, Brobury, Herefordshire, UK, (directions at www.broburyhouse.co.uk).
Everyone is welcome (plenty of camping space available for Saturday night) and do bring photos, stories and memories. If you can’t come please share your thoughts at http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=91527.
We would like to compile a comprehensive record of Jules’ exploits and his climbs. If you climbed with Jules or you have any reminiscences we would be very grateful if you could get in touch. Please pass this message on as widely as you can.
Contact us at Brobury House 01981 500229 or http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=91527.
We will create a fund in Jules’ memory to help young mountaineers, if you would like to contribute please contact us as above.

Louise Richards and the Cartwright family.

Jamie HH 05 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
Hi to all of you who knew Julian in the Climbing world.

I was lucky enough to share a share a room with him at School for two of the 3 years we were at school together. In our final year the two of us were segregated into a double room as we were seen as a disruptive influence on the other trying to study for their GSCE’s. That was one of the best years of my life and where I became a life long friend with him.

In that time we ran our own little off licence supplying the rest of the school at great profit, Produced and supplied fake ID also at great profit. Constantly broke out of school going off on our own adventures.

He even convinced me to abseil out of our third floor dormitory window as part of a stunt similar to the Milk Tray advert in order to ask a girl 3 years older than me out. (Who said NO but still took the chocolates!) The most impressive thing was I am afraid of heights.

He was an usher at my wedding. My wife (Vicky) and I were fortunate enough to spend a wonderful weekend with him, Louise and his parents at Brobury the weekend just before he departed for the Alps. Over that weekend he and I had a chat about our lives and his career and my nightmare of the possibility of reading about his loss in the paper one day. To which he responded almost getting angry with me. “I don’t want to die an old man. When my time is up it is up! I think I have done pretty well to date, I am 29 years old and done exactly what the F*ck I wanted to do all my life and I would change a thing….. Come on I get paid to climb and travel around the world, and have done more than most people achieve in a life time! If I go I go and don’t want you, Vicky, Lou or anyone to morn for me…. In fact I will be more pissed off with you for morning than with myself for getting killed !” We finished the chat off knowing exactly how each other felt about our friendship and I feel honoured that I don’t have any regrets of not saying something. Because everything that need to be said, had been said!

As I am a sailor not a climber and with mine and his schedules we did not get to see each other very often but every time we met it was like it had only been a few days since the last. And usually involved a large amount of alcohol! But I am lucky enough to and proud to say he was my friend who I will never forget.

Hope to see some of you at Brobury on Saturday, I will be the one who won’t be understanding the climbing Jokes! As I was one of the few lucky people who he kept in contact with outside of the climbing world.

Final comment : Jules you got your obituary in the Telegraph on the same page as Marlon Brado he had a 2/3 and you got the other 1/3 now that is impressive !

Jamie Henniker-Heaton.
OP pete benson 05 Jul 2004
There is a difference to being alive and just living. Jules knew this and knew how to play it, whether at the sharp end of a rope far from home, or just relaxing down the pub. The flame of adventure burned bright and fierce in that one.

“He who has drunk the light of the high mountains can never on this earth be truly unhappy”

We will all miss you.

Pete Benson
Tom Nicholson 05 Jul 2004
In reply to Jamie HH:
Jamie...it was lovely to read what you wrote. I had a simlar conversation with Jules after I read about a climbing acident in Chamonix in the newspaper and feared it was him. It turned out to be 2 of his climbing group. I remember his attitude and it was exactly as you described and that was 4 years ago.

Really looking forward to meeting you on sat as one of the non climbing fraternity.
In reply to Ian Parnell:

All i can say is RESPECT! Never met him but its people like him who first started off my urge to become an alpinist, recently had my first taste, spent most nights dreaming in the tent about future adventures and admiring all those legends in the mountains and wishing i was one of them.
Never met him but i want to say thankyou to jules for being an inspiration. One life ends...many others begin.
As ive always said, live every day as if its your last.

RESPECT
Graham Hindle 06 Jul 2004
What a great guy. I was lucky enough to spend some time with Jules, and almost all of it I spent laughing.
best wishes to all his family & his girlfriend.
Tufty and Jane 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: Jules is the greatest of guys, we'll miss him massively. Sorry we can't be there to celebrate his life with all our friends, who are so important to us. Love to you all.
Jamie HH 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Tom Nicholson:
Tom I think we met in Leicester, See you on Saturday. And we can raise a glass (or two) to the Mad bugger.
Darren Ball 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

I first met Jules while hitching in Chamonix 1996, he picked me up in his retro Ford Escort Estate which doubled as a minimalist camper. Jules was the most welcome sight i could have wanted, knackered after a 4 day marathon up Mont Dolent and back (via Italy), i relaxed in his car and we soon discovered a common interest in the urban music Jungle.

He and a close friend of mine, Al Cartwright (of no relation), then set off to climb Route Major. A few days later a calm and supportive Jules appeared at the tent requesting a delivery of clean pants and comprehensive insurance to Al who was in Hospital in Italy. Al broke his leg during a fall while pulling through the final seracs. Jules safely held his fall, splinted his badly broken leg, summoned a helicopter rescue with his head torch, and introduced Al to the art of alpine smoking during the long wait for the helicopter. The pair, reported as courageous brothers, made the local Italian press in fine style, thanks Jules for helping my friend!

Over the course of the trip i was astonished to discover his achievements, enough to fulfill a lifetime of mountaineering let alone that of a 21 year old. I admired his parents for their support of his climbing, naturally leading to a fulfilling career in the mountains. We met up several times in Leicester where I discovered his passion for excitement wasn't limited to the mountains. He managed to achive a seemingly unsustainable pace of life, blending fun and excitement at every opportunity. Over a game of pool and a pint he pulled out a picture of the Sharks Fin on the Meru, I listened in awe as he discussed the un-climbed line, the first of many bold attempts in the higher ranges. A totally inspirational guy his achievements and refreshing outlook on life have left a positive influence on many. Peace Jules!!
David and Marloes Hopkins 06 Jul 2004
Keith, Pru, Kath, Vicky and Louise

We were so sorry to hear of Jule's accident on the Badile. He was a fine mountaineer and guide. Although we did not know him well, we were enormously impressed by his integrity, humanity and commitment.

Sincere condolences and warm wishes at this sad time.

David and Marloes Hopkins
Cheryl & Dean 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
We have already posted a brief message to Jules on this site but on re reading it it does not possibly say enough.
We met Jules about 3 years ago when he was living at his sister Caths place and we lived across the road.He soon became a regularly drinking buddy and you could guarentee that every friday at about 3:30 when he was around we would get a knock on the door and an invite to the pub. It got to the stage when sometimes I would dread him being at home as you knew that that weekend would end up being a right off - stinking hangovers for us but never it seemed for Jules!
We moved in September and I remember thinking at the time whether we would miss our old place, the answer to that was no but we would miss going down the pub with Jules!
We needn't of worried though as on our first night in our new place Jules turned up and Jules,louise, Dean and I spent the night in the pub and they slept in our new spare room. We woke the next day with yet another Jules induced stonking hangover and loads of unpacking to do.
Since then Jules has always popped in whenever he was back in Sheffield and we were lucky enough to spend a week in his place in Chamonix at Easter.
We last saw him the day before he was driving over to Cham to drop off his car and some of his kit. He was sat having a swift beer in our back garden and we talked about how fab his place is out there and how he was looking forward to the guiding season and Louise moving out in September.
We feel really lucky to have known Jules he truly was an inspiration in life. We may have only played a small part in his life but he truly made a big impact on ours.
Jules we will miss your impromptu visits(Louise please feel free to still drop in any time)and Jules don't get too pissed off with us that we are feeling quite sad at the moment, it won't last long and I personally plan to get out there and climb some mountain routes for you later this summer ( I know you will help me when I start to feel jittery high up)
At least Deans liver might get a break now!
Love to Jules, Louise and all his family and friends.
Cheryl&Dean
Cheryl & Dean 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
We have already posted a brief message to Jules on this site but on re reading it it does not possibly say enough.
We met Jules about 3 years ago when he was living at his sister Caths place and we lived across the road.He soon became a regularly drinking buddy and you could guarentee that every friday at about 3:30 when he was around we would get a knock on the door and an invite to the pub. It got to the stage when sometimes I would dread him being at home as you knew that that weekend would end up being a wright off - stinking hangovers for us but never it seemed for Jules!
We moved in September and I remember thinking at the time whether we would miss our old place, the answer to that was no but we would miss going down the pub with Jules!
We needn't of worried though as on our first night in our new place Jules turned up and Jules,louise, Dean and I spent the night in the pub and they slept in our new spare room. We woke the next day with yet another Jules induced stonking hangover and loads of unpacking to do.
Since then Jules has always popped in whenever he was back in Sheffield and we were lucky enough to spend a week in his place in Chamonix at Easter.
We last saw him the day before he was driving over to Cham to drop off his car and some of his kit. He was sat having a swift beer in our back garden and we talked about how fab his place is out there and how he was looking forward to the guiding season and Louise moving out in September.
We feel really lucky to have known Jules he truly was an inspiration in life. We may have only played a small part in his life but he truly made a big impact on ours.
Jules we will miss your impromptu visits(Louise please feel free to still drop in any time)and Jules don't get too pissed off with us that we are feeling quite sad at the moment, it won't last long and I personally plan to get out there and climb some mountain routes for you later this summer ( I know you will help me when I start to feel jittery high up)
At least Deans liver might get a break now!
Love to Jules, Louise and all his family and friends.
Cheryl&Dean
Al Cartwright 06 Jul 2004
Darren has beaten me to it but here's my piece anyway...

I was lucky enough to hook up with Jules in the Alps back in 1996 before he became a superstar. We just got chatting in the Argentiere campsite and agreed to climb together for the next 2 weeks. He was instantly likable and I had no reservations about climbing with my new, untested partner. As it turned out, he was, even back then, a very confident and talented climber and great fun to be around at the campsite or in "The Office" bar.

We did a couple of quality routes including Route Major on the Brenva Face of Mt.Blanc. We were storming up the route, when unfortunately I had a fall on the seracs just short of the summit slopes and broke my leg. We spent a long day and night waiting for a helicopter rescue, hoping the forecast storm wouldn’t come early. He was a top bloke, did his best to make me comfortable and kept my spirits up during a scary time, even gave me his last cigarette, though I didn’t smoke!

He went on to climb some awesome routes the week after that and I often wonder how my subsequent modest climbing career might have been different if I hadn’t got hurt and went on to climb some harder routes with him!

I followed his exploits with some awe and a little envy during the years that followed, we kept in touch for a while but I hadn’t spoken to him for a couple of years. I'm gutted I'll no longer have the chance.
Cheers Jules, my life is richer for having shared some time with you.
My deepest sympathies to Louise and Jules' parents.

Al Cartwright (no relation to Jules).
OP David Roberts 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
I think my most endearing memory of Jules comes from last summer. I was in quite a state following the suicide of one of our close friends and Jules really help to talk me out of it, for a bit at least. That and him telling me to do some work at uni, at least more than the nothing I was doing at the time. And that I should stop being such a scruffy little oik if I was ever going to get a bird.
While I only went climbing wih him on less than a handful of occassions he will be deeply missed.

Only when you drink from the river of silence will you indeed sing,
And when you have reached the mountain top, then shall you begin to climb,
And when the earth shall claim your limbs then shall you truly dance.

Pob x
Eric 06 Jul 2004
Like many people it seems Jules passed through my climbing life a few years ago and made a huge impression in a short space of time - easy to regret not staying in touch with hindsight. I remember him handing out tea to people from his stove on the summit of the Chardonnet, puffing on a cigarette as we watched the magical dawn unfold. Getting hammered in the Office and deciding to re-arrange all the garden furniture at the Yeti bar - at the bottom of the swimming pool. Or me waking up as we took another blind bend at speed on the way to Lochnagar - 'you're better off closing your eyes again' Jules says as he casually rolls his fag with one hand.

And then the last time I really spoke to him properly - at Jamie Fisher's funeral in '99. I was in awe of those two, and the intensity with which they managed to live. So shine on you crazy diamond, cos 'there's nary a man like you, and most of em deid'.

Eric Hildrew
Jamie HH 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Eric:
Eric

I too remember a interesting car journeys or two with Jules. In one particular incident I think he used the same line 'you're better off closing your eyes again! Due to me screaming for him to slow down, after waking up after hitting my head on the roof of the car just after jumping a hump back bridge, We were driving around Devon in one of his Mini Clubman’s (800cc I think) on route back from the pub, We were racing down single costal track against a RS Turbo Escort. We had no chance of overtaking but eventually the lad in the RS bottled it and pulled over to let us pass!
Convinced the Mini’s breaks would fail and collide with his prized possession. Cool as Ice as always.
Greg Tognarell 06 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
Lots of good memories of a guided trip to Nepal in Autumn 2001. Reaching three different summits is only half of it. Memories of rickshaw races through the streets of Kathmandu and good sessions in high places will stay in my mind.
Jules you were a diamond.
Greg
OP Jon Bracey 06 Jul 2004
Well, I still can't believe that Jules has left us. All the best people die young.
I never thought that he would go like this always being
extremely carefull. Yet at the same time he was the most driven person I knew (whether in the bar as he was more often that not, or in the hills).

Jules was a good freind. Not the type of friend who phones you up for small talk or any other crap. He would just call if in need of drinking partner or someone to climb with. It has to be said that one of his best skills, was his amazing power in convincing people to go out boozing. No matter how important a job one might have to do, Jules could always talk you round to the idea of a couple of pints first.

A couple of years ago I was working with Jules on a month long rope access job painting a pilon in mid Wales. Jules being the supervisor of our team of eight lads, had the job of organising everything including our accomodation. Being mainly climber/dosser type folk or other similar vagrants we all agreed to camp. On arrival I was not in the slightest bit surprised to find that Jules had arranged for us to camp in the garden of a local pub. Needless to say we ended up completely hammered every night for the entire month, aided by the landlady's son who kindly agreed to stay up serving us and getting drunk with us well into the early hours.

Look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

DNS 07 Jul 2004
I regret I didn't know Jules well - I only met him for a couple of days when he guided me last year. For someone who I met so briefly, he really stuck in my mind and I'm more affected by his death than I can really understand.

He was great company and, besides his obvious climbing talent, a really nice guy.

What struck me most was the encouragement and support which he parents had provided; he obviously built on their love of the mountains.

I hope that, in time, they will be able to reconcile themselves to their loss and take some comfort in having produced such a lovely man who touched the lives of so many in such a short time.
Removed User 07 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

i didnt know either jules or julie but reading about them both has touched me deeply. my heart goes out to their families and friends.

To Die Before You Mother

To die before you, mother,
Can cause no greater pain,
But I am free and safe now,
Your life is not in vain.

Before long you will join me,
So I will sleep tonight,
With joy effusing from my heart,
Your arms will hold me tight.

So soon we’ll be together,
United as before,
We’ll dance on death’s unseemly face,
Beyond its grip once more.

The heartbeats that are left you,
Use wisely and with grace,
To feel and show a love for all,
Beyond despair’s embrace.

Oh mother, how I love you,
My voice is in the breeze,
My eyes are in the stars above,
My love the rustling leaves.

Be proud of all you gave me,
Be happy I am free,
One day we’ll be together,
For all eternity.

jct
OP Anonymous 07 Jul 2004
In reply to Removed User: (13:28 Wed)

A tribute to someone else it may have been, but thank you for that, my son joined his mother two months ago and your comments have certainly helped, as I hope they do, the intended recipients.
Anthony Wheaton and family 07 Jul 2004
Julian was a fine testament to Pru and Keith who encouraged and supported him to do what he clearly loved and excelled at. His achievements should make the family proud and perhaps offer some small consolation. I am sure he would have wished all his family to continue to enjoy the mountains and to thus remember him.

All our love and best wishes
Ant & Kate
Lisa Waine 07 Jul 2004
In reply to Mike Hearn: Julie was a colleague and a friend.She was always trying to get us to come climbing with her and recently guided me through my first try on the wall at work.She absolutely loved it and it was really her true passion.Her death has affected us deeply.We will miss her very much.
Tom and Keiko 08 Jul 2004
Hi, Louise,
We're sorry we never knew Jules, but we fondly remember the happiness he brought you, the warmth with which you talked of him. We hope you find some comfort in these memories too.

Katherine Schirrmacher 08 Jul 2004
My memories of Jules seem, coincidentally, to mainly be associated with pubs, parties and alcohol! But what always struck me was that in any fleeting conversation, at a social event wherever that might be, in our under the influence states, Jules was always interested in the small details of my life, work, climbing etc, which in comparison seemed so mundane and unadventurous.

He made every situation fun and whilst I did not know him well, he made a big impression on me. I really admire the passion for which he lived his life. He was an inspiration to many and will continue to be. He will be deeply missed.
Sharon Adnitt 08 Jul 2004
In reply to Mike Hearn: I would like to add my comments to those of Julie's other climbing friends. I too have been climbing with Julie for 10 years plus. She truly loved climbing, the mountains and just being outdoors. There is many a climb I know I would not have succeeded on without Julie's advice and encouragement. She was a great source of both encouragement and inspiration to me and I and many others will miss her dearly.

My sympathies to friends and family of both climbers.

Sharon Adnitt
OP Andrew Walker & Jen Jones 08 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: Although we have spent some time with Keith & Pru we have only ever 'bumped' into Jules on a few occasions. He had a jaw line that made me think of Desperate Dan and coupled with his cheeky grin and 'yes - I'll do it tomorrow' approach to the world - you couldn't help but instantly like him.

Jen thought he was very handsome and I was always envious of his apparent 'coolness' and being one of those blokes who's able to get away without shaving for five days.

We never really talked to Jules about his climbing although Keith and Pru used to regale us with stories of climbs and routes he'd been the first to do. I remember visiting Keith and Pru one weekend and being shown a climbing magazine picturing an immense vertical rock face (somewhere in Alaska I believe). 'Jules climbed this' they both said, obviously chuffed to bits, but not wanting to sound like overly proud parents.

And I think that's the whole point - they are incredibly proud of Jules, and I think he knew it. He was quite unassuming - he took people as he found them. We never once heard him boast or brag, never saw him ruffled or embarrassed (except when he danced with Jen one evening - 'I can't believe I'm on the same dance floor as my parents' he told her) and he took everything in his stride as if he really was at one with the world around him.

Jules was clearly an extremely gifted climber but I think that it is as one of life's genuinely real and down to earth people that he will be so sadly missed.

Whenever we are at Brobury we will always be waiting for him to come ambling around the corner with that cheeky grin and twinkling in his eye. 'Can't stay long' he'll say, 'Got to be getting some climbing done'.
dominic griffiths 08 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: I never met Jules but reading about his full life of adventure has been an inspiration to me as a middled aged climber , with kids , who has let the sport slip.
I don't see myself getting to repeat any of the amazing routes that he put up but reading impresssions of his drive , enthusiasm and fun have inspired me to carpe diem' dig out the ropes and bumble up some of my favourite routes in N. Wales and the Lakes.
Also, in these days of super honed rock athletes surviving on broccoli, it's good to hear of someone who could party as hard as he climbed. Don Whillans and Alex Macyntire will be there to welcome him with a pint!
 Missile 08 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Just wanted to add my small climbing experience with Jules to the others already written. I met Jules in Yosemite in 94. He was on a gap year, travelling round the world. My climbing partner got injured just before the trip so I went alone and was on the lookout for others to climb with. I'd already been there about 10 days when I met Jules. He hadn't done a lot of climbing in the past few months because of the trip but was keen to do something.

After a few warm up climbs, we settled on doing a one day ascent of the Regular Route on Half Dome (probably decided after a few beers!). We got all the "beta" from the locals and hiked up the evening before to bivy at the foot of the route.

Everything went pretty smoothly on the climb. We swung leads and made good time. However, we were a bit late getting to the top. The last pitch was aided on micros in the dark! We did spend about half an hour trying to find the ladders down as I don't think we had a head-torch between us. We did eventually locate them but at the bottom it was too dark to find the path so we curled up in the climbing rope and spent a not too uncomfortable night talking and watching the lights in the valley twinkle. It was beautiful up there.

Jules still had a few weeks to go before he was due back but he was already talking about trips to the Alps and other plans. Looks like he fulfilled a lot of those ambitions and more and made a load of good friends on the way.

Condolences to family and friends
Rick
Vicky Henniker-Heaton 08 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: I met Jules through my husband Jamie H-H, who said to me after we had been together about three years, there is one more of my friends that I would like you to meet. Well, Jules was everything and more of what Jamie had told me to expect, and who would have believed that I went to work the next day with a hangover!

Jules, Jamie and I will miss you terribly, with the weekend that we spent with you all at Brobury in May a very special memory.

Vicky H-H

Louise Richards 08 Jul 2004
Dear friends, I've only today found the courage to read the contributions to this thread, and I would first like to thank all of you, both Jules' and my own friends, and those of you who hadn't met Jules but were inspired by his exploits. As my sister has commented, even if you never knew him personally, after reading this thread you'll have a pretty clear idea of just what he was like.

I'd also like to thank all of those in the UK who dealt with the immediate aftermath of Jules' death, while myself and his family travelled to Switzerland and Cham to bring Jules home. Special thanks to Ian Parnell, Ian Hey, Lindsay Griffin, Rich Cross and Al Powell - you worked hard to produce fitting obituaries and press releases at a time when I know you were struggling to deal with your own personal shock and misery.

I was pretty unprepared when brave Rich Cross telephoned me with the news of Jules’ death - Jules valued his life dearly and while he engaged in mountaineering at the highest level, he had an acutely developed sense of perspective and a good attitude to risk. He’d backed off more routes than he’d completed and at 29 he felt in no hurry to bag significant ascents. Jules was planning a long and leisurely path to world domination!

While it might at first seem incomprehensible that Jules should have died on such easy ground, it is comforting to appreciate the personal significance of the Cassin Route to him. Jules absolutely adored the Bregaglia and he and I were to holiday in the Mello Valley this August. Jules had never climbed the Cassin (though his parents have) and it was on our ticklist. When he was asked to guide the route though he was absolutely thrilled – the ultimate privilege. I know that he was happier than ever before as he set out to the start of the route as this was a period in Jules’ life when he was profoundly contented. He was just starting to reap the rewards of the hard work he’d put into his guiding career and we were both really excited to be planning our new life together in France.

Jules and I had great times together climbing but he was so much more than just a climber – he always had to have his fingers in more pies than he had digits while somehow simultaneously indulging his fantastically lazy streak. It may come as a shock to those inspired by his thirst for climbing, but Jules would also spend weeks (months?!) just dossing, not even making it out to the boulders! And ‘training’ was a very dirty word in Jules’ world.

I was interested but unsuprised to read Jamie H-H’s comment on Jules’ response to his own possible premature death. Jules was my best friend and I loved him with all my heart – I think he will allow me to wallow in my misery for a little while. But we must all find a way to serve Jules’ memory well – to take chances in life, give everything our all and enjoy life to the full. Jules had enough motivation, conviction and enthusiasm not only to power his own existence but also all those he came into contact with, and I know there are a lot of people suffering a tremendous sense of loss, not least his lovely parents and sisters.

‘To see, it is not enough to open the eyes. One must above all open one’s heart’. Jules saw life very clearly indeed and his heart was wide open.

Louise Richards

Andy Perkins 08 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Hi Ian and all friends of Jules

The last time I was with Jules was in the bar of Glenmore Lodge, and it wasn't early. I got the news in the Albert Premier hut last Thursday, and Steve Long, John Whittle and I didn't go to bed early that night either. The best way we could remember Jules was by drinking far too much and then going out climbing the next day anyway.

More than enough is quite sufficient....

ANDY PERKINS
Jamie Andrew 08 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
I first met Jules through our mutual close friend Jamie Fisher, who was my flatmate at the time, and who Jules was regularly pairing up with in the Alps and the Himalaya. Together this indefategable pair made an awesome climbing partnership with an even greater potential for bad behaviour and wreaking havoc! When Jules came up to Edinburgh I helped him start out in rope access and the two of us ended up working on the ropes together, most notably on the construction of the Baltic Art Gallery in Gateshead. I rarely climbed with Jules but he was a great companion to work with; relaxed, competent, efficient, and always good for a laugh and a jar or six at the end of the shift.
Meanwhile the Fisher/Cartwright combo was going from strength to strength and everyone felt sure the pair were destined for great things. Events took a tragic turn however when Jamie died alongside me on Les Droites in 99.
During that awful week while Jamie and I were trapped on the mountain, Jules was an absolute tower of strength for my partner Anna and Jamie's dad Stu, despite his own concerns, as they endured an agonising wait in the valley. Jules helped liaise with the PGHM, was able to give level-headed expert advice, and was always available to help pass the time in the bars and cafes of Cham.
Later Jules was to visit me in my hospital bed and I was immediately struck with how well he coped with the loss of his friend, being able to mourn and at the same time see the importance of getting on with his life.
Jules' enthusiasm for climbing was unshaken and he got back out in the mountains as soon as he could. His advice to me was to do the same.
And now Jules you give us the same challenge that Jamie gave you. I only hope we're up to it as well as you were. It's a help to me to think that at least you'll have someone to climb with, wherever you both are.
grant farquhar 09 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Louise, Katharine, Vicky and Jules' parents, I am so sorry to hear about this tragedy. When I think about Jules inspirational life I keep remmembering the line from Blade Runner;

the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

And Jules burned so very brightly. See you on saturday.
Anonymous 09 Jul 2004
In reply to Jamie HH:

I also went to school with Julian, and although I did not know him well, I know Jamie and many others were very fond of him.

Julian - you have reached the highest place now, take care.x

Love to his Family and girlfriend.

OP Anonymous 09 Jul 2004
In reply to Jamie Andrew:

I did not know Jules. However, having read and heard of his exploits in the mountains I found him an inspiration. Having now read some of the tributes to Jules here, I feel sadness for this tragic loss, deep sympathy for his friends and family and slight bitterness that I never had the pleasure of knowing such fantastic soul.

I also feel fantastically inspired to get out and start doing all the things that make life worth living, but somehow get put to the bottom of the 'to do' list.

All at DMM Wales. 09 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Jules was one of our sponsored climbing team, his feedback and incisive criticism helped us to hone our ideas and refine new designs. We gave him some of the gear he needed, and he worked hard to put something back. It's fair to say he punished our gear as much as he punished our livers! When we were all together at shows or hanging out in the office he made himself part of out team too, well liked and respected by everyone. It's been said before, but it's not diminished by repeating it, he was a really good man whose relaxed nature and humour made everyone around him comfortable. He had a real empathy and time for people, which is very rare these days.
His routes are both awesome and inspiring.
The future won't be the same without him and we'll raise a glass late in the bar, just as he would have done. Cheers Jules. All at DMM.
OP val 09 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
I think I did this once before but the technology sabotaged me. I met Jules through his family and for many years had only fleeting glimpses as he dived to retreat from his parents' eccentric friends - except when the wine was flowing. I knew he climbed and they thought he was good, but it was at one of the traditional family claret and slides evenings that this was brought home to me when with a laconic delivery he described his ascent of Mount Hunter. Through the alcoholic haze it was clear he was a strong climber with an innovative and determined streak. From then on it was always interesting to watch his progress, although he always was disarmingly modest about what he had been up to.

And it was also clear that he was really happy with his career in Guiding; he seem to understood the need to make his clients feel valued, not just a future payment. He had sailed through the winter assessment in Scotland and was looking forward to a couple of seasons in Chamonix.

For me I shall remember Jules this April at Shorn Cliff in the Wye Valley on a gorgeous sunny day. He had come along for a days climbing with his Mum and me and was very good natured about being out with two mature ladies. He cruised the climbs and offered snug ropes, or encouragement where appropriate and set up bomb proof belays on the chossy cliff top. We got down too late for a tea (to Jules' relief I think) so he diverted us into the Moon on the Water pub and insisted we try the green beer . . .

To me our pain for the loss of Jules is made up of many things - the personal loss of never running into him again, the sorrow that he will miss out on what should have been a full and hectic life, and the fact his going will leave gaps in so many lives and we feel the pain for those others. He was close to his family and shared their love of the hills. And from this thread it is clear he won the hearts of so many people. I look forward to the chance to celebrate his life on Saturday.
tomstickland 09 Jul 2004
I knew Jules from school, and even did a few climbs with him in the Wye Valley and Wales in the early 90s. He was great company and endlessly enthusiastic despite my lack of ability. I read the stories in papers last week, hoping that it wasn't the same Jules. It's really hit me hard, that someone who I only fleetingly knew had died.
The Cartwright Family 12 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
Keith and Pru (parents), Katharine and Vicky (sisters), and Louise (Jules’ partner) have been overwhelmed by the number of wonderful comments you have made here about our dearly loved Jules. We have also received many more than a hundred letters and cards, not only from close friends and relatives but also many from folk who knew us or who knew Jules through only one or two meetings.

Many of you were able to come to Brobury on Saturday to celebrate his life and others expressed their disappointment at not being able to be there. Thank you to each and every one. Your contributions - cards, letters, photos, documents, talks and slides, and just simple good wishes and expressions of support were such a comfort to us and will continue to be so in the future.

Our emotions were high, and we omitted to thank all those who contributed to a marvellous day. May we do so now? Thanks to all those who helped us to fill the house with flowers, for the many shared recollections of Jules in one to one conversations with us, and to those who showed their support just by being there. A goodly number of people cut short their holidays or travelled long distances to be with us. From our hearts, we thank you all. Jules was a very lucky guy to have such friends across all parts of his life, not just the climbing community. All Jules’ friends are welcome at any time at Brobury. Please come and visit if you are passing by on your way to Pembroke, or for whatever reason.

We will be creating a fund in Jules’ memory to help young mountaineers. As soon as we have a clearer idea of how to do this to best effect, we will share our ideas with the climbing network and ask once again for your help.

We will remember Jules for the happiness he brought to us all, and for the commitment he brought to his climbing, and indeed to all aspects of his life. There are many crumbs of comfort to sustain us at this desperate time. Firstly, Jules achieved more in his 29 years than most of us will, were we to live threefold longer. Secondly, Pru and I, and Katharine and Vicky take great comfort from the fact that Jules had expressed only very recently to friends how much he valued us as his immediate family and how we had played such an important part in his life. The pleasure was all ours, Jules. You made all of us proud of you.

Finally, and most importantly, we know that over the last few weeks of his life, Jules was happier than he had ever been. He knew the route his life was going to take, he knew how he was going to make that journey, and he knew his chosen travelling companion. He was fulfilled in his purpose and in his relationships.

Jules, we loved you beyond measure. We still cannot believe you are gone. Thank you for being with us, even though the time was nowhere near enough.

Keith, Pru, Katharine, Vicky and Louise
Jamie HH 12 Jul 2004
In reply to The Cartwright Family:
I would just like to add a few other points.

Firstly to Louise, Vicky and I could not believe how strong you were this weekend. Jules was very important to me, but his loss is far greater to you. You showed real strength and passion at the weekend, which was a major reason why Jules was 100 % totally in love and dedicated to you. Your strength this weekend got me through the day.

To the Cartwright family. Thank you so much for producing and moulding Jules into such a wonderful person I will always be proud to have known him. All of you have mannerisms, sayings and opinions that are a family trait, and one that I admire in you all.

Saturday was extremely helpful to Vicky and I, and I believe for the first time we really understood what Jules had achieved in his cut short but wonderful life. Everyone I met this weekend was so genuine, and I can only hope my contribution helped give an insight into the very different Jules outside of the climbing world.

One other thing, Jules may be gone but you won’t get rid of me as a friend!

Thank you to Keith, Pru, Kath, Vicky and Lou for this weekend.

Jamie and Vicky H-H
jean richards 13 Jul 2004
In reply to Jamie HH:

I am Louise's mother and would like to continue on from Jamie's comments.

My family would also like to add our thanks to everyone who came to Brobury this weekend and to those who have written. Your words and thoughts have helped us all, but especially Lou.

Like Jamie, I am not a climber, but it was good to meet up with the climbing community and to understand what a great and genuine person Jules was. I had met him on several occasions and knew that I liked and trusted him because he made Lou very happy, but I had not been aware of the extent of his influence in the wider climbing context (such was his modesty!). He was indeed one of life's "high achievers".

There is now a huge gap in Louise's life and in that of the Cartwright family. The following months will be extremely difficult for them and they will need time, patience and the help of good friends to see them through.

Lou, Pru, Keith, Kath and Vicky ..... we are all here for you.

Lou's mum (Jean Richards)

Teresa Potter 18 Jul 2004
In reply to Sharon Adnitt:

As another climbing friend of Julie's, I would also like to offer my condolences and sympathy to families and friends of both Julie and Jules.

Julie and I met in the early '90s in the Alps. She loved sport and the outdoors, but so clearly had a huge passion for climbing and mountaineering, which quickly lead her to become more accomplished than most of her friends. Determination, tenacity and energy were hers in bucket fulls, however Julie always had time and patience for everyone else, and was extremely enthusiastic in her encouragement of those less able.

Julie's constant warm smile combined with her easy-going nature won her friends easily. Although her ability and achievements were huge, Julie's modesty in her own achievements was even bigger.

I never ever saw Julie make a fuss, about anything. Nor was she ever unreliable. Julie lived for her family, her job, her friends and her climbing. I know she would have been so thrilled to have been climbing with Jules.

We will all miss you masses Julie.
Barry Cowen 20 Jul 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

From my time with Jules at Junior school, thanks for the memories mate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...