UKC

Accident at Dunkeld

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Jul 2004
Scottish Executive solicitor David Cassidy (48), from Perth, slipped at the top of Polney Crag, near Dunkeld, and sustained massive head injuries. He was airlifted to hospital on Friday but lost his fight for life over the weekend. He had just completed his second route of the day and was on his way along the top of the crag to the descent route when he fell.
Report in the Courier - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2004/07/13/newsstory6114246t0.asp

UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
dark_star 13 Jul 2004
In reply to UKC News: Rest in peace
Norrie Muir 13 Jul 2004
In reply to UKC News:

Dear UKC News

There was also a death in Glencoe the same day. Friday was a sad day in the Scottish hills.

Norrie
Graham Foster 13 Jul 2004
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad.

Those who have been will know that Polney has a fairly friendly air, quite sunny and slabby. But....the accident happened on the traverse/descent.

I've often been more concerned about these tracks than the climbs themselves: quite muddy, loose pine needle litter etc, not nice in rock shoes at all. Rock dries quickly but grass often less so. Take care.
 Euge 13 Jul 2004
My thoughts and prayers to to his family.

Rest in peace

E
 Fiend 13 Jul 2004
In reply to UKC News:

Bad luck, RIP.

Walking around the top of crags, you gotta be so careful...
DrJiminyCricket 13 Jul 2004
In reply to Graham Foster:

Thoughts and prayers to family, friends and his climbing partner.

> I've often been more concerned about these tracks than the climbs themselves: quite muddy, loose pine needle litter etc, not nice in rock shoes at all. Rock dries quickly but grass often less so. Take care.

I agree, the top can be pretty slippy when wet. I've often felt, no matter which route I've been on, nervous at the top traversing around to the ab off down the gully.

Jamie
John Giblin 14 Jul 2004
In reply to UKC News:

On behalf of the Angus Gravity climbing team, I'd like to ofer my deepest condolences to the friends and family of David Cassidy. The team's thoughts are with all those affected at this time.

John
Anonymous 14 Jul 2004
In reply to Norrie Muir: We were on Engineers Crack on Friday. Do you have any details of who/ what happened on the Buachaille. Spoke to Andy Nisbet and a few others on Curved ridge that day.

graeme gatherer
Norrie Muir 14 Jul 2004
In reply to tony:

Dear tony

Thanks for replying to Graham. I saw the chopper hovering about on the hill when I went passed at 7.15pm

Norrie

PS Do you want a job as my researcher, I can't pay much, but it would be interesting.
Graeme Gatherer 14 Jul 2004
In reply to tony:
Thanks Tony
Friday was certainly a sad day.
Norrie Muir 14 Jul 2004
In reply to Graeme Gatherer:

Dear Graeme

Yes it was.

Norrie

PS Sorry about spelling your name wrong.
 Jamie B 14 Jul 2004

Hi Graeme. As a hopefully happier aside, how did you find Engineer's Crack?

JAMIE @ THE ICE FACTOR>
Graeme Gatherer 14 Jul 2004
In reply to Jamie B.:
Hi Jamie
Engineers was brilliant. Very enjoyable climbing with no particular move all that hard. as it says in the guide, well protected too.
To be honest, felt easy for E1 5b.

Did the Keep yesterday on Binein Shuas and found the 5b( old guide) moves on that much harder! Fantastic pitch by the way.
 Sandy P 15 Jul 2004

I climbed 'The Keep' earlier this year and found that second pitch hard for the 5a that it is given in the guide book. However it is only a short 10 meter section that is difficult.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...