UKC

NEWS: 12 Sherpas Killed on Everest as Serac Collapses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Apr 2014
Climbers on Everest Icefall., 2 kbAs widely reported in the mainstream media, at least twelve Sherpas have been killed on Everest in a huge serac collapse.

The Sherpas were fixing ropes in preparation for the spring climbing season in a heavily crevassed section of the notorious Khumbu Icefall known as the Popcorn Area...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68862

James Malloch 19 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Such a shame! The video on the link, showing people posing for photos in front of it, is awful!

Goes to show how many people are there for the tick and to be dragged up without any awareness of how serious the incident was...
Removed User 19 Apr 2014
In reply to James Malloch:

Video is from 2009, says so right in the title...
 Kevin Forde 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:

"This video shows a similar collapse from 2009 that occurred in a similar place (just slightly lower down) on the mountain." seems pretty clear.
 FreshSlate 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Kevin Forde:

Dat reading skillz.
 lowersharpnose 20 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I think this is very sad and very significant. I read that 6 of the dead were working for Jagged Globe (Sheffield, UK - for those that don't know).

Are the Sherpas insured by the operators?

Just musing about what their responsibility is in financial terms for the families of the dead men.
 FreshSlate 21 Apr 2014
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> I think this is very sad and very significant. I read that 6 of the dead were working for Jagged Globe (Sheffield, UK - for those that don't know).

> Are the Sherpas insured by the operators?

> Just musing about what their responsibility is in financial terms for the families of the dead men.

$10,000 Each from what I've heard but surely the guiding company has insurance?
 lowersharpnose 23 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

I don't know what insurance the guiding companies have for their sherpas.

I would hope that a Sherpa's life is valued at more than $10k by Jagged Globe et al.
 Martin W 23 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News: The Guardian is now reporting that the Sherpas have decided to do no more work on the mountain this season: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/apr/22/nepal-everest-talks-sherpa-st...

Apparently this is annoying some of the folks who have paid to get to the top:

...the atmosphere at base camp was souring fast, with some climbers putting pressure on Sherpas so they would stay on and help them reach the summit.

Hmm. Sixteen people die and you throw a tantrum because your expensive holiday is spoiled. Nice.
 mattrm 23 Apr 2014

The minimum that companies have to have is 10k, the 50% increase is to 15k. It's even worse for porters. Who are generally poorly equipped and often go up to fairly significant altitude. Obviously 15k is a decent wedge of money in Nepal, but it's still pretty poor comfort for the folks who've lost family (and in most cases their main breadwinner).
 Axel Smeets 23 Apr 2014

> I think this is very sad and very significant. I read that 6 of the dead were working for Jagged Globe (Sheffield, UK - for those that don't know).

As per the JG website, the figure is one, not six.

mattrm 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Axel Smeets:

> As per the JG website, the figure is one, not six.

One killed, six caught up in the avalanche.

http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/news/blog.php?id=44#i549
 FreshSlate 23 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I'm totally behind them taking a year off.

How could anyone set foot on the mountain after so many have died on the first day? You can't argue with that to be honest. They've got a protest to attend and they need to improve their working rights like everyone else has done over the years.

Anyone who doesn't like it can assemble their own group to make summit bids. As Kenton Cool said, the Sherpas are poor technical climbers anyway! (Said in derision of Cool not the Sherpas)
 lowersharpnose 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Thanks for the correction.
 Enty 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

> The Guardian is now reporting that the Sherpas have decided to do no more work on the mountain this season: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/apr/22/nepal-everest-talks-sherpa-st...

> Apparently this is annoying some of the folks who have paid to get to the top:

> ...the atmosphere at base camp was souring fast, with some climbers putting pressure on Sherpas so they would stay on and help them reach the summit.

> Hmm. Sixteen people die and you throw a tantrum because your expensive holiday is spoiled. Nice.

I agree - they should go and fix their own ropes if the Sherpas take the season off.

E
 flaneur 23 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting piece by Jon Krakauer in The New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2014/04/everest-sherpas-deat...

Developments in medicine, technology and tactics means Everest has become safer for western guides and their clients but relatively more dangerous for the Sherpas. Someone has to carry all that bottled oxygen through the ice-fall.
 FreshSlate 23 Apr 2014
In reply to flaneur:

Extremely good read that, thanks.
 Michael Gordon 23 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> I'm totally behind them taking a year off.

> How could anyone set foot on the mountain after so many have died on the first day? You can't argue with that to be honest.

I agree. Though I'm not entirely sure whether they were advocating the mountain being closed off completely (in respect of those who died) or just that they wouldn't be working there?

> As Kenton Cool said, the Sherpas are poor technical climbers anyway! (Said in derision of Cool not the Sherpas)

I doubt those were his exact words, or if they were he would have qualified the statement by stressing the great respect he has for them.

In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I doubt those were his exact words, or if they were he would have qualified the statement by stressing the great respect he has for them.

Yes, it's utterly unlike Kenton to say that.

FreshSlate 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

You guys are right, he said they 'might not be as technical as Western climbers'...

Looking into it he clearly does respect Sherpas, at the time it felt like a backhanded compliment. I'm generally pretty hateful of the idea that Sherpas aren't real climbers and are just human donkeys with no skill. The first thread on this topic did say "it appears no climbers were involved".
 John2 23 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

His words are reported more extensively in the Times. 'These are my friends and I totally understand what they are doing. I respect everything they do, but no one is making them do this. If they don't want to work Everest they don't have to. I'm all for these guys getting together, but it's very important they do it the right way.'
VwJap 23 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Mingma Nuru Sherpa, , Shangrila Nepal on NBC Everest Expedition,
Dorji Sherpa, Shangrila Nepal on NBC Everest Expedition,
Ang Tshiri Sherpa, Shangrila Nepal on AAI Everest Expedition,
Nima Sherpa, Shangrila Nepal on AAI Everest Expedition,
Phurba Ongyal Sherpa, Adventure Consultants,
Lakpa Tenjing Sherpa, Adventure Consultants,
Chhiring Ongchu Sherpa, Adventure Consultants,
Dorjee Khatri, Adventurist Everest,
Dorjee Sherpa, Adventurist Everest,
Phur Temba Sherpa, Adventurist Everest,
Pasang Karma Sherpa from Juving Solukhumbu, Jagged Globe,
Asman Tamang, Himalayan Ecstasy Lhotse,

Missing (1 found, no name released)

Tenzing Chottar Sherpa, Shangrila Nepal on AAI Everest Expedition,
Ankaji Sherpa, Everest Chinese Dream Expedition,
Pem Tenji Sherpa, Everest Chinese Dream Expedition,
Ash Bahadur Gurung, Everest Chinese Dream Expedition,

Teams cancelling season

IMG
Alpine Ascents
Adventure Consultants
Alpenglow

Nepal government was to send rep to base camp to negotiate with Sherpa but they never arrived fuelling Sherpa anguish
 pneame 28 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:
Not much new but worth a read:

http://alpinist.com/doc/web14s/wfeature-everest-myth

I'd not thought about all the products with "sherpa" in the name fostering colonial-style stereotyping. An excellent point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...