UKC

NEWS: £17,000 raised for Mountain Rescue in Cumbria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 16 Dec 2008
The BBC who created an international news event out of this years Original Mountain Marathon (OMM) could learn a lot from the self-reliance and fund raising efforts of mountain folk.

The two-day OMM endurance race, held last October, was cancelled because of severe flooding and strong winds. A maj...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2008#n45508
 brieflyback 16 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Great film.
 Gael Force 16 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Isee the OMM organisers are still refusing to pay for the £20000 worth of damage to Willie Richardsons barn at Gatesgarth ,caused when they drove their vehicles onto newly set concrete
 Monk 16 Dec 2008

I enjoyed that film. Thanks for that. Was good to see what it was like.
 Worcester_Ash 16 Dec 2008

Some brilliant acting from the wee scottish cheeky chappy! For public appereance requests and general raconteuring please contact: j.miller@worc.ac.uk
 biscuit 16 Dec 2008

my view of the BBC's coverage changed a bit when i saw a follow up a month later on Look North. They had heard something was happening ( probably from Mark Weir :0~) ) and contacted the Police who told them a major rescue operation was going on to secure the safety of nearly 2000 missing runners. Follow up calls to Keswick Mountain Rescue agreed with this that conditions were life threatening and it should never have gone ahead etc etc. and the runners were ' un-accounted for '.

Combine that with a lack of understanding about what the event was all about and it was bound to blow up in todays media.

Look North, to their credit, did a very balanced follow up. They interviewed 2 experienced competitors who said it shoud have gone ahead, Keswick MR who said it shouldn't and a quote from Cokermouth MR who said it should have gone ahead. Having been with those same 2 competitors a couple of days after this broadcast, and also with the guy who took the first phone calls from the BBC on behalf of OMM, there are lessons to learnt by everyone i think - not just the BBC.
 Angus Murr 17 Dec 2008

I was there and the concrete was taped off and for sure didn't see anyone drive over anything. And if they did, i am pretty sure that the insurance would pay it out! Are you sure of your source??
 jl100 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Bit of an ott attack on the BBC there. A load of people who should know exactly what theyre doing go for some masochistic run and screw up. Its quite an amusing story really. Also they do absolutely nothing for the local economy yet use up resources which the locals must pay for. They deserved the stick they got in the national press.
XXXX 17 Dec 2008
In reply to JoeL 90:

Salty popcorn please. I already have a chair ready.
 Doghouse 17 Dec 2008
In reply to JoeL 90:

Ha ha ha Assuming you're not a troll I can't be ar*sed to tell you why you're talking sh*te but do a search, it's been done to death.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Angus Murr:
> I was there and the concrete was taped off and for sure didn't see anyone drive over anything

Ditto.
But even if they did, for £20000 it would need to be pretty special concrete!
 andy 17 Dec 2008
In reply to JoeL 90: Troll or tit. Either way, grow up.
 Padraig 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Angus Murr)
> [...]
>
> Ditto.
> But even if they did, for £20000 it would need to be pretty special concrete!

Also, whoever decided to lay concrete with that weather forecast should be shot!
 Gael Force 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Padraig: I think as the concrete had a roof over it,and not likely to be affected by rain then the concrete did not really come into the equation ,however the farmer at Gatesgarth did his best to help out and your reply shows the mind set of OMM people.....
 Gael Force 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Richard123: Where do you live ,down souuf..
 Simon Caldwell 18 Dec 2008
In reply to Gael Force:
Not bad but you'll need to try a bit harder if you want to get anyone to believe you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...