UKC

NEWS: £2,000 pledged toward purchase of Wilton Quarries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 29 Sep 2007
Several people have pledged money if the BMC decide to purchase Wilton Quarries off United Utilities.

The latest is a whopping £2,000.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 philo 29 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

i just hope it doesnt make other council/ owned areas to think about selling up too to make a little profit from climbers!
 Henry Iddon 29 Sep 2007
In reply to philo:

Has anyone (except a brewery) ever made a profit out of a climber!!!!!!
 peterjb 30 Sep 2007
In reply to Henry Iddon:

When I saw it my thought was, wow you cold make that a lovely climbing venue, maybe build a hut and charge a modest fee to clubs/ individuls, all of which could contribute to the ongoing maintenance (no profit making).

UU might even be willing to part with them to as a charitalble donation as hey will be able to write this off on their balace sheet. Is the BMC a charity?

It will be great if this leads to a good venue being preserved and actively managed as a sucessful venue, it could really set a precedent for other similar crags, many of which are owned by UU.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
>
> The latest is a whopping £2,000.

Are you being sarcastic?

£2,000 is hardly whopping when the price is £45,000!

Undertow 30 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: you have a point but thats 2000 more than most of have donated
Anonymous 30 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Turkeys voting for Christmas.
banned profile 74 30 Sep 2007
In reply to Anonymous: think its a sad state of events when we get to the point where we have to pay to use the outdoors.ive never been to wilton so cant really comment but am sure if caley was in the same situation i would try and do what i could to keep it public
 toad 01 Oct 2007
In reply to peterjb:
, maybe build a hut and charge a modest fee to clubs/ individuls,

charging for access?

> It will be great if this leads to a good venue being preserved and actively managed as a sucessful venue, it could really set a precedent for other similar crags, many of which are owned by UU.

OK, it has occured to me that there was a heavy dose of irony in this post, and apologies if I'm rising to the bait, but My biggest fear is that this COULD set a precedent - privatised crags with charges... sounds dangerously like an indoor wall to me.

Alphin 01 Oct 2007
In reply to toad:

> OK, it has occured to me that there was a heavy dose of irony in this post, and apologies if I'm rising to the bait, but My biggest fear is that this COULD set a precedent - privatised crags with charges... sounds dangerously like an indoor wall to me.

Or enclose the quarries under a large glass roof and make it into a well managed climbing wall, have a feeling this may have been done elsewhere?
 JDDD 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Alphin: I don't think that is going to happen here

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=2147

Alan Beard 01 Oct 2007
In reply to toad:
The BMC does already own or assist in management at a number of crags with various access arrangements:

https://thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=1148
 toad 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Alan Beard: yes, but to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't charge for access.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Oct 2007
In reply to toad:
I think you missed the words "build a hut"?
I assume the reference to charging was for use of the proposed hut, ie the same that happens for all club huts including those owned by the BMC.
 peterjb 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Simon Caldwell: yes,I meant charge for use of the hut, the climbing would remin as is and would be free as always, but the hut would help generate revenue to help with ongoing maintenance.
 toad 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Simon Caldwell: fair point
In reply to Undertow:
> you have a point but thats 2000 more than most of have donated

Ah sorry. I misunderstood the OP. I thought £2,000 was the total not a single pledge. Hats off to the person who offered that.
 Paul748 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (In reply to Alphin) I don't think that is going to happen here
>
> http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=2147

Well done BMC, another good reason to join I would say.

Yorkspud 01 Oct 2007
In reply to philo:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> i just hope it doesnt make other council/ owned areas to think about selling up too to make a little profit from climbers!

UU are a water company, who, like Yorkshire Water, are generally committed to making a profit out of their land despite a 'committment' to public utility. Some councils eg Stalybridge, actually manage their land for climbers - the great Hobby - and are (hopefully) a bit more switched-on about this sort of thing.
 peterjb 01 Oct 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:

Maybe the key issue here is why should we try to buy back something that was previously owned by the state anyway before the privatsations went ahead. If UU have any sort of corporte social responsibility they should dispose of these bits of land, where there is the demand, in a way that is of public benefit and not at public cost.
GeoffM 01 Oct 2007
In reply to peterjb:

As idealistic as that is, the reality is UU are in it to make money, but in this instance they seem to have pulled back and all credit to the BMC and to UU lets hope it
continues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...