UKC

NEWS: 2017 Christmas Quiz Answers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Jan 2018
Thank you to all 900 of you who took part in our Christmas Quiz. We apologise for the difficulty...maybe! Congratulations to Harald, who was top of the pile with 69%. Raffle winners will be selected at random from the list of entrants and contacted this week.

Read more
 Pedro50 03 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Good quiz (apart from the anagrams!) Thanks for compiling.
In reply to Pedro50:

I think the plan is to make them far more focussed next year (i.e. around a given topic or theme), which should make them a lot easier (i.e. possible).
 Michael Hood 03 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great move having all the quotes from Bruce Lee, bet nobody guessed that
 stp 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Won't that depend a lot on the individual? EG. A boulderer will be rubbish and mountaineering questions and vice versa.
 Michael Hood 03 Jan 2018

Don't make it too easy. I particularly like the photo id bit, but that's because I'm a bit sad in that area (got NTBTA even though I've never even tried it).

I think the highlight of this sadness was identifying both the route and whose hand it was on the half inch photo on the spine of the 2006 Eastern Grit Rockfax. At least I'd done that route.
In reply to Michael Hood:

I had a lot of fun putting the pictures round together, will try to up the ante for next year
In reply to stp:

Always the case though isn't it, it is a general knowledge climbing quiz after all. If those boulderers want to win they're going to have to get swatting up on their mountaineering (and vice versa)!

With that in mind, the picture round was quite a difficult one to put together, as each picture should really have been obvious to a local, a practitioner of that discipline, or someone such as Michael who - despite having never climbed the problem in question - has obviously 'paid his dues' when it comes to guidebook geekery (something I applaud!).

With that in mind I'm going to be taking more photographs on my travels throughout 2018 in order to produce some beauts for this years quiz
 Michael Gordon 03 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Can't believe I didn't recognise Hen Cloud! Then again, it's probably been 10 years since I've been. I knew the Fair Head one, but it didn't come up in the options since I thought it was one word. Scafell looked surprisingly like Sron na Ciche, so got that one wrong also!
 Michael Hood 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Was a really good angle on Scafell to make it non-obvious. I didn't know Fair Head, thought it was Mowing Word so I'm not a complete geek.
 Will Hunt 03 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I nearly went with Sron Na Ciche for the Scafell photo as well. Then I looked closer and saw the lightning bolt crack on Saxon and thought, "Ah, I've been there"

You're just bitter that you didn't get the anagram of your own name, Rob

Regards,
Binary Eel Rat.
 deacondeacon 04 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:
I didn't enter this year but if I had I'm sure id've won. If you just send me a prize that'll be fine.
Ta
cb294 04 Jan 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

The Brucie quotes were pretty much the only thing I got right!
 Mbowell 04 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for compiling, its turning into a Christmas tradition in our house. Is there a full list of results to see how well (badly) I did!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...