UKC

ARTICLE: A Day With Dave MacLeod - And An Interview With Claire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 27 Nov 2008
A Day With Dave MacLeod - And An Interview With Claire MacLeod

Working for UKClimbing.com has its perks and one of the best came along recently. Mountain Equipment got in touch to tell me about a press day they were hosting at Plas y Brenin. They invited me along to try out their new clothing range, and the icing on the cake was a day climbing with Mountain Equipment & Gore athlete, Dave MacLeod...

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1361

Dave and Claire have just released the award winning film Echo Wall. It has been a mammoth undertaking, and has finally hit the shelves. I wanted to find out more about making the film, and more about Claire's perspective on the whole Echo Wall 'death route' concept:

Jack: "Who does the washing up? You or Dave?"

Claire: "It's on a strict rotational basis though there is room for negotiation. For example, if Dave volunteers to make pancakes for breakfast (he makes a mean pancake, better than mine frustratingly, even though it's my recipe) then that may be on the condition that I do his shot of the dishes for him..."

Read The Interview: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1361
 TobyA 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Nice article although the outtakes question and answer is there twice. Is the lower one like h'the title of the video?

I think if you are called Tarquin and you work for the Telegraph you should change your name by deed poll just so you don't confirm the stereotype, particularly if you are going to climb. Others probably remember the late 90s Climber column.
OP Jack Geldard 27 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA: Cheers Toby, now edited.

Jack
 lummox 27 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA: That`s a bit rich coming from someone called Toby : )
 TobyA 27 Nov 2008
In reply to lummox: a) I don't work for the Telegraph, and b) most people just tell me its a dog's name!
 tony 27 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Never mind the Toby Tarquin Telegraph triumvirate, you're missing the point! Which is, how come Dave makes better pancakes than Claire? And how does his gingerbread compare with hers, which is becoming the stuff of legend?
 Simon Caldwell 27 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA:
All jokes about the name Tarquin should be sent to
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=44195

Wee Davie 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Nice piece. I thought the bit where Dave got his hair cut off 'for more power' was very amusing!

soveda@work 27 Nov 2008
> (In reply to TobyA) Cheers Toby, now edited.
>
> Jack

The question and answer were still there twice when I looked just now
OP Jack Geldard 27 Nov 2008
In reply to soveda@work: Thanks Soveda, but your browser will have cached the old page - it has been updated - try force refreshing your browser (Shift+Refresh in Firefox).

Thanks,

Glad people liked the article.

Jack
 Erik B 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: have you seen his new route in spain?! wow!
 petestack 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Toreador:
> All jokes about the name Tarquin should be sent to
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=44195

You thinking of *Tarka* the Otter? :-/

TobyA 27 Nov 2008
In reply to Erik B: What has he done? I should check his blog I guess!
 TobyA 27 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA: OK checked - that's an inspiring vid. The route look heinous - climbing downwards feet first - eeekk. But with the bat hang sorted he's ready for a repeat of certain Strong Steve route perhaps!
 Erik B 27 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA: FA of Knuckleduster at Margalef f8b, awe inspiring line!
 TobyA 28 Nov 2008
In reply to Erik B: I reckon repeating the 8c+ is probably the bigger deal although the photos of Knuckleduster look pretty excellent. But like Dave says - he's done everything hard in Scotland so it's nice to confirm his feelings repeating established routes elsewhere.

The fact that he does an 8c+ reasonably quickly whilst on holiday is perhaps the most impressive thing. Of course the guy is training all the time, but the rock is so different from his normal area. It makes you wonder what he would do if he did a Sharma, and moved to Lleida for a winter.

BTW - I normally find limestone unaesthetic to look at, missing obvious lines. But you can't fail to be impressed with that buttress. It looks like a giant has been at it with an ice cream scoop.
 steveP 28 Nov 2008

The dry boak! Quality scottish medical terminology. Nothing in English quite captures this....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...