UKC

ARTICLE: A Father and Daughter Adventure in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 13 Mar 2023

We topped-out on our first objective before I found my legs lacking under the weight of my rucksack, but kept on, finding that the further we went the less tired I got. 'Athlete's high', it was called, Dad said. The brisk breeze cooled the warm sun, allowing us to walk, run and climb. At the crest of each hill, I could hear the silence, interrupted only by my beating heart. It felt like an impossible beauty. The stretched hills and deep valleys – endless.  The Solway glistened in the distance and if you squinted just right, you could see the Isle of Man on the horizon.

As I bonded with the earth beneath my feet, I bonded with the man who raised and loved me. I was finally at an age to know him and relate with him. Finally at an age to understand him. The world was silent and the atmosphere comforting, we spoke not in words but in experiences and understanding.

S5 pupil Sylvie Colchester wrote this reflective and touching essay about climbing in the Lake District with her father for her Higher English portfolio. 

Read more

profitofdoom 13 Mar 2023
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice work! I enjoyed it. I hope you keep writing about your experiences in the hills

Kyuzo 14 Mar 2023

Lovely writing, makes me want to climb! 

Sean Kelly 14 Mar 2023

That was an enjoyable read of climbs done more than 30 years back. When the experience is like this is there any better feeling, any better place to be, the cherished memories lasting forever. Thanks for posting. This is what being in the hills is all about.

Removed User 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Same. I did Innominate Crack almost 30 years ago with my Dad. I must have been about 14/15 at the time and I took the lead on a summer's day with a warm breeze blowing through.

JimR 14 Mar 2023

Reminds me of a weekend I spent in Langdale with my youngest daughter. Great writing

pasbury 14 Mar 2023

lovely - brought a tear to my eye and has given me some impetus to take my daughter on a similar adventure.

full stottie 14 Mar 2023

Great stuff. Captures so much of the privilege of climbing in a family partnership. Keep writing, keep climbing!

gaz.marshall 15 Mar 2023

Crikey, that brought a tear to my eye. If he's anything like me, your dad will have been in bits when he read that! I'd love to one day be able to share similar adventures with my kids (they're a bit wee just now) and have them write so well about it.

Hugo First 15 Mar 2023

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. What a talented writer.

That last paragraph is a thing of beauty.

Forcan Reg 17 Mar 2023

Great article. I particularly liked the paragraph before the last photo (beginning "Reaching another pinnacle,..."). It sums up perfectly why we do it.

Abu777 25 Mar 2023

Really enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...