UKC

NEW ARTICLE: A roped-solo ascent of the Old Man of Stoer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 18 Jul 2011
Me and the Old Man of Stoer, 4 kbA determined effort to climb the Old Man of Stoer over a number of years, results in an unusual style of ascent as Mark Collins becomes increasingly desperate to fulfil his ambition.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3889
 Neil Henson 18 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Nice one Mark. I knew you would do it!
 Mark Collins 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Neil Henson: Thanks mate.
In reply to UKC Articles: Good work Mark!

One question though - Why did you ab off then climb back up? Surely you could have arrive at the top of the lead, tied the ropes together and then retrieved your gear on the ab? All of the stuff I've soloed has been bottom to-top multipitch so not had to deal with getting back down the line at the end!
 colin8ll 18 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Sounds like you had a great adventure - nice one!
 Andy Mountains 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Mark Collins:

Really interesting stuff. A lot of determination will get you a long long way seemingly. Well done!
 Mark Collins 18 Jul 2011
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr: Thank you. The reason I didn't take the approach you raise is mainly down to the amount of lateral movement. The route literally moves from one side of the stack to the other (40 footish), which may not be too bad if you have a smooth non-overhanging face to descend. However this is not the case, there are many obstructions and overhangs. I'm afraid I thought that approach would fail, leaving me with a long jumar back to the top and some thinking to do.
In reply to Mark Collins: Makes sense, didn't realise you had to move around so much, it can really be a pain sometimes! Good effort on the lead.
 jonny taylor 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Mark Collins:
> The reason I didn't take the approach you raise is mainly down to the amount of lateral movement [...] I'm afraid I thought that approach would fail

Having watched people abseiling to the halfway ledge and getting their ropes jammed, I can confirm that!
 John Workman 18 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Mark

Not to in anyway diminish your effort [I've done a bit of roped soloing using a Soloist] but do you know the story of a young fella back in the 80's? called Chris Dale from Penrith, who, like yourself was greatly inspired by a picture of the said Old Man. He absconded from his parent's house, hitched all the way to Storr, swam across, soloed up and down, swam back and hitched back to Penrith with not much more than some loose change and some sandwiches in his bag. He was a bit it special 'though [in more ways than one]. [I think I have the bones of the tale correctly, though some may correct me].
 Harry Ellis 18 Jul 2011
In reply to John Workman: A lovely chap who I only had the privlege to meet late in his life.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/8346303/Chris-D...
 Mark Collins 18 Jul 2011
In reply to John Workman and thegoatstroker: Wow, that's amazing! I have never heard the story before, thanks for sharing.
 Brendan 18 Jul 2011
In reply to Mark Collins: Ah, good explanation, I was wondering that too. Might be worth the ukc editor adding a line into the article?

Congratulations, great effort and article.
 franksnb 18 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: haha victory, nice one!
 Mark Collins 18 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Thank you all for your kind words.
andy kirkpatrick 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Mark Collins: El Cap next then Mark! Well done.
 Mark Collins 19 Jul 2011
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: Wow!!! Thanks Andy, for the post and the inspiration. As for El Cap, I'll never say never.
cam stewart 20 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Well done Mark. Nice read and has inspired a possibly trip myself.
 saz_b 23 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Amazing effort Mark, really happy to hear you achieved this! I am going to try and get on this in September and Skye - give me a call or email me via here (no longer on the other work address) if you wanna repeat this or to go for a beer - on me!!! Saz
 Mark Collins 25 Jul 2011
In reply to cam stewart: Thanks cam stewart, I'd recommend it as a grand day out.
 Mark Collins 25 Jul 2011
In reply to saz_b: Thanks for your kind words Saz and best of luck for September, yhm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...