UKC

THE LOWDOWN: Adam Ondra takes onsighting into the next realm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Adam Ondra on La Capella, 9b, 4 kbAdam Ondra has done it again. Yet again he manages to stunn the climbing world. It would seem the one month break from climbing a couple of months back didn't make him weaker...
In two days at Etxauri, he onsighted two 8c+'s, one 8c and one 8b+. The 8c+'s were Kidetasunaren balio erantsia and Bizi...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60834
 GDes 08 Mar 2011
I have to say, I often find these lowdown reports tedious and very un-newsworthy. But this is just flippin ridiculous. In two days, he redpointed what is a lifetime of redpoint achievement for a very very good climber. Staggering.
 proze 08 Mar 2011
In reply to GDes: Correction, he onsighted(!!) what would be a lifetime's worth of redpoint achievement for 99.99% of sport climbers!
 ali k 08 Mar 2011
In reply to GDes:

I think the lowdown reports may not seem newsworthy sometimes because Ondra is just so far ahead of the game. If he wasn't doing all the hardest sport routes in the world so quickly and easily then I think the everyday reports about other 'normal' people would seem more impressive.

Maybe he needs a handicap to bring his achievements in line with everyone else so we can try and get some perspective back!

It'll be interesting to see what he thought of the grades for these routes though, given that he's not shy of the odd downgrade.
woodster 08 Mar 2011
In reply to GDes:

Has he on-sighted Buoux 8c...eh Ged?

GDes 08 Mar 2011
In reply to ali k: Really? "French Girl goes on a trip to the Buttermilks; she hasn't done anything yet but she might do" is newsworthy?!

GDes 08 Mar 2011
In reply to woodster:
> (In reply to Ged Desforges)
>
> Has he on-sighted Buoux 8c...eh Ged?

I would have thought so.
 GDes 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Is the headline of this report not a bit disrespectful to Patxi Usobiaga ??? After all, he's onsighted both of these 8c+ routes hasn't he? So why is it the next realm?
In reply to GDes: Yes, Patxi has onsighted one of the routes and also another 8c(+). The difference is Adam did two in as many days plus an 8c and an 8b+, showing this is more or less his "normal" onsighting level now. My guess is Adam could onsight something even harder on a really good day.
 JayK 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Just to add, I really like the Lowdown News updates Bjorn. Keep them coming.
 ali k 08 Mar 2011
In reply to GDes:

Wow. You have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about these lowdown reports don't you!

> Is the headline of this report not a bit disrespectful to Patxi Usobiaga ??? After all, he's onsighted both of these 8c+ routes hasn't he? So why is it the next realm?

> this is just flippin ridiculous. In two days, he redpointed (edit: I guess you meant onsighted) what is a lifetime of redpoint achievement for a very very good climber. Staggering.

I think you answered your own question a bit here. As well as contradicting yourself. If you don't like them then don't click! There's always 8a.nu if you prefer.
banned profile 74 08 Mar 2011
In reply to GDes: like the other day-paul robinson nearly did the story of two worlds,damn that pesky tree.
i dont see how its a new realm either,a few people have onsighted the grade.fair enough on the achievment and the reporting of it but its a bit ott
 ali k 09 Mar 2011
In reply to beastofackworth:
> i dont see how its a new realm either,a few people have onsighted the grade.
Is that correct? Who else has onsighted 8c+? I thought it was only Patxi (and now Ondra obviously).
 Morgan Woods 09 Mar 2011
In reply to ali k:

Tomas Mrazek did Pata Negra but i think it has come down to 8c from 8c+.

Sharma also maybe?

ali k 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Pata Negra in Rodellar you mean?
That's never been 8c+ and is regarded as a steady 8c bordering on 8b+ I believe.

I don't think Sharma has.
 Morgan Woods 09 Mar 2011
In reply to ali k:

you'r right....just Patxi and Adam then....i wonder if it was chalked up at all....all the more impressive if it wasn't.
 scooott 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Onsighting 2 8c+s and a few other grade 8s in 2 days is newsworthy..

If you don't like it, why read it/ complain in the thread?
 gaz parry 10 Mar 2011
In reply to scooott: Hey Bjorn, Love the low down reports and its great fun to know whats goin down around the world even if the tick hasnt been made. Keep up the good work.

Gaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...