UKC

NEWS: adidas ROCKSTARS 2018: Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 22 Sep 2018
The 2018 adidas ROCKSTARS competition is well underway, with semis and finals taking place today in a jam-packed season finale. Here's hoping the athletes have some energy and skin left after the Innsbruck World Championships! Watch LIVE here.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Bump...semi-final results and finals livestream up. Finals streaming starts in 5 minutes!

alx 23 Sep 2018
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Good coverage and good comp! The climbing was excellent and the men’s super final was hilarious. IFSC needs more Dad dancing.

On a slightly sour note the Adidas Rockstars commentary is a consistent annual reminder how spoiled we are with Charlie Boscoe commentating on the IFSC circuit.

john arran 23 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

Oddly, after the women's superfinal (up to and including which I thought the event was great) I felt that the whole show plummeted from a top-level sporting event to cringingly crass popular 'entertainment'.

Maybe I'm just old!

Vybz 23 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

Agreed. I didn't realise that I liked Charlie until I heard the commentating yesterday.

JLS 23 Sep 2018
In reply to john arran:

>"cringingly crass popular 'entertainment'."

Och, it wasn't that bad. You have to come to these post season invitation events with the thinking it's just a bit of fun and a pay day for the ones good enough to command an appearance fee.

JLS 23 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

Liam does a better job as event compare working a live crowd. He's genuinely good at that.

HansStuttgart 23 Sep 2018
In reply to john arran:

> Oddly, after the women's superfinal (up to and including which I thought the event was great) I felt that the whole show plummeted from a top-level sporting event to cringingly crass popular 'entertainment'.

Did you miss Jongwon dancing on the mat basically since the start of the final?

alx 23 Sep 2018
In reply to john arran:

> Maybe I'm just old!

I googled John Arran and within the first few returns on images section was Steve Backshall.  Are you like the Doctor and keep regenerating?

who doesn’t like a bit of comedy Dad dancing?

john arran 23 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

> I googled John Arran and within the first few returns on images section was Steve Backshall.  Are you like the Doctor and keep regenerating?

Steve's just my alter ego I don't remember having needed to regenerate yet; a determined refusal to acknowledge reality (i.e. ageing) seems so far to have kept me in good stead.

> who doesn’t like a bit of comedy Dad dancing?

er ... me. And I'm a dad!

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 23 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

If you google John Arran again you should come up with Dr Doolittle E10 7a...

Maybe he can’t dance but he certainly can climb.

Doctor Dolittle (E10 7a)

In reply to alx:

Complete agreement, Sean MccolM should've spoken more, Sasha is a great climber, crap commentator. Lonsdale...... Could go on for hours. So boring to listen to.

alx 23 Sep 2018
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> Lonsdale...... Could go on for hours. So boring to listen to.

We just put the sound on mute after a while I got so tired of: 

“Have you heard of Alex Megos?, Alex Megos is a climber, Alex wouldn’t like that knee bar, Alex is not at this competition, Alex would have liked to be here, Alex Megos is from Germany? Alex please return my calls.”

In reply to alx:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So true, and the endless talking about shoes.... To my knowledge Lonsdale doesn't climb hard enough to really know what's he talking about with shoes. 

My main gripe is he talks us through everything single move ... We can see what they're doing!! Remember at Sportiva legends when he creeped out Fanny Gibert by asking how she gets her hips so open.... 

allarms 24 Sep 2018
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Screaming every move as it happens, it's like he is doing a radio show for the hard of hearing instead of commentating the competition.

Alx: I completely agree about the Lonsdale/Megos relationship, the whole thing screams of self promotion on the back of someone else's achievements for the sake of social media followers. 

It seems with enough followers and likes Lonsdale has become instafamous enough to have a monopoly on competition commentary. 

In reply to allarms:

He won't be at the CWIF

In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Good to hear!!!!

Post edited at 17:46
 Rad 24 Sep 2018

Boscoe is a fine announcer. My dream team would be to couple him to Sean McColl for the Olympics (after Sean doesn't make the finals). Sean's always had the most insightful commentary of anyone I've heard. Odds are, however, we will have announcers from Fox or a major US network who don't know anything at all about climbing. Oh well, it's a chance for us to all feel smug.

Rad 25 Sep 2018

Why is there a pic of Shauna in the lead? She didn't compete as far as I can tell. Hope she is back in the World Cup circuit next year!

Luke90 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Rad:

> Sean's always had the most insightful commentary of anyone I've heard.

He didn't seem to have much to contribute at the weekend though. At one point, Lonsdale actually asked him for his thoughts on something and he still didn't really say anything. I got the impression that they'd put him in charge of tracking the scoreboard and he was struggling to multitask.

> Odds are, however, we will have announcers from Fox or a major US network who don't know anything at all about climbing.

No, I'm sure the BBC will get their own homegrown announcers. They'll be just as clueless but they'll be clueless in a British accent. Bear Grylls, perhaps. Or maybe Bonington.

Durbs 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I don't mind a bit of Liam, I'd rather have his enthusiasm than Charlie's stoicism... but agree we don't need move-by-move talk.

Sasha has a fairly monotone voice which grates after a while and didn't seem to offer much actual insight.

Sean's great, but was focused on other things. I noticed as well he didn't have a head mic, so wasn't there for constant commentary.

I initially assumed the constant shoe references were because it's an Adidas/5.10 event, but not (m)any competitors were wearing them.

Great final though, it's a fun comp - so fully appreciated the fun of Jernei and Jongwon. Women's was ace. 

If it was a serious comp, they wouldn't have  a fastest-first race as the last problem as it's usually just a flash-fest. Although last year (I think) both women got stuck for a fair while.

Quarryboy 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

"adidas ROCKSTARS", an event where nobody plays rock music or climbs on rock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...