UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Aegean Afternoon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 30 Oct 2009
[Telendos Sunset, Kalymnos, 2 kb]John Colton takes us on an exploratory solo up the east ridge of Telendos, Kalymnos.

"A twisting rib emerging from nearby vegetation accessed a steep, slim nose that was bisected by a diagonal crack. Climbing it provided the only moves on the route that might be hard to reverse; finger holds small but sharp, friction for the feet and a good 15 metres above a nasty landing. My heart thumped with the effort and adrenaline as I crawled onto another shelving pile of small stones."

The article is accompanied by John's excellent art-work and a stunning HDR photograph from Dan Arkle.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2166

Dave Musgrove 01 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:
Nice article, John. I keep meaning to do it each time I go but keep putting it off waiting for a cooler day - which of course rarely comes! And I also agree - The Eleonara's are quite spectacular on Telendos. Second only to those on the Cavall Bernat Ridge in Mallorca in my experience.

Dave
 Nic 03 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article. I did the walk just up to the church on a "rest" day - BIG mistake! 30 degree heat meant that I was ducking from boulder to boulder just to try to get some shelter from the sun. It would be fun to do the summit experience and then walk off westwards (the island slopes off quite gently, which is not obvious from the "volcanic"* profile it presents when you are on Kalymnos). That would require someone meeting you by boat at the other end though!

* PS it is not, repeat not an extinct volcano, which is a "fact" I have overheard a number of times from ignorant tourists!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...