UKC

ARTICLE: An 'Evolutionary' Extra Forearm Artery - Does it Benefit Climbers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Nov 2020
An extra forearm artery?

Do you have an extra artery in your forearm? A recent Australian investigation discovered a significant increase in the prevalence of a third forearm artery since the late 19th Century. Formed during early gestation in the mother's womb, the median artery supplies blood to the forearm and hand of an embryo. Usually, this artery disappears and is replaced by the radial and ulnar arteries before birth, but in some people it remains - a case known as the 'persistent' median artery - leaving them with a third, additional vessel. Is this good news for climbers? We asked some experts who explained that it's not so straightforward...

Read more
 Lankyman 04 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

I don't know about another artery but a lot of folks seem to have a bell end growing on their heads these days. Evolution in reverse?

Blake 04 Nov 2020

The doodle is awesome... Pokketz style 😂 

In reply to Blake:

> The doodle is awesome... Pokketz style 😂 

... bit more than 'Pokketz style', but thanks.

Toerag 04 Nov 2020

A more important question would be 'does it benefit wankers?' :-D

Paul Evans 04 Nov 2020

Speaking as someone who had one of these arteries (in their right wrist), in my case it didn't benefit my climbing; almost the reverse. In 2000 my median artery (which I didn't know I had) developed a clot. In typical male style I ignored the pain and swelling for a few days until it got too much to put up with, then I went to casualty. I was swiftly admitted (on a sunday eve) for urgent exploratory surgery. As it's a rare condition, at that point they didn't know what was wrong - they just didn't like the look of it. 

Woke up the next day with a drip, my arm elevated in some sort of stand, and bandaged from fingertips to elbow. The surgeon turned up with junior doctors in tow "now this was a very unusual case....if this gentleman had come in 24 hours later I would have had to amputate his hand". 

Didn't notice any non-climbing benefits either

Paul

Samseabass 04 Nov 2020

Pretty cool. Similar to the palmaris longus tendon which is (d)evolving out of the human forearm slowly. This function of which apparently related to the ability of our hominids ancestors to hang and move through trees - so you would think has direct benefit to climbers! 

In reply to Samseabass:

Yep, that's mentioned in the piece. Think I have it in the left arm but not right, or at least it's more prominent in the left.

neuromancer 05 Nov 2020

Another, quicker way to evolve out of having a Palmaris Longus is to blow every pulley in a finger at once. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...