Loading Notifications...

ARTICLE: An Interview with A Fat, Old Climber

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 31 Aug 2020

Gordon Robb, AKA @fatoldclimber.

Gordon Robb is overweight and pushing 60. He's also a climber. His refreshingly matter-of-fact Instagram handle distils these three essential facts into an unflattering but amusing moniker: @fatoldclimber. With Gordon, there's no room for sugar-coating; he gives dishonesty a wide berth and shares unfiltered accounts of trying to progress as a late-starter in a sport where gravity is especially unforgiving for the larger frame. In our carefully curated online world, perhaps Gordon is the anti-sponsored hero we need right now.

'In my fifties. Been climbing 5 years. Have some skill/strength, but eat too much.'

Read more

Vigier 31 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Good man!

Think many of us struggling a bit with increased weight  after lockdown.

Keep plugging away and I’m sure you’ll reach your goal ( wish I had your motivation!).

Chris_Mellor 31 Aug 2020

Enjoyed reading this lots. Keep it up!!

This is refreshing, articles about ordinary extraordinary climbers rather than celebrities and/or wannabees. 

Keep at it Gordon. 

Pushing 60 old?? You ain't seen nothin' yet.

65 31 Aug 2020

Brilliant.

At 53 do I fit into the old category? 

neilh 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Fatclimber:

Mature category.

Good on you Gordon, keep on pushing

chrishedgehog 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Vigier:

I’m genuinely trying to remember what my excuses are for NOT being able to climb 7A. Nice one Gordon. Most motivated I’ve felt in years.

In reply to chrishedgehog:

As it goes I've just done my first 7A since lapsing as an 'adequate' climber 18 years ago. Funny thing is 7A used to be a fairly big grade, now it's punter+ level. Keep pushing, keep having fun...

Great article, thanks.

Offwidth 19:37 Wed

Almost missed this excellent article. Inspiring stuff Gordon.

Also missed this, nice! 

For the last few years, since I moved closer to 60 than 50 (in age and waistline), I've been logging any climbs that are significant to me as FFOBAs (First Fat Old B@stard Ascents - only those that I have good reason to believe are genuine "firsts" in this category).  Seems only fair, after all you have FFAs.

Post edited at 06:26
In reply to steveriley:

> Funny thing is 7A used to be a fairly big grade, now it's punter+ level. 

F*uck off!  ;-)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.