UKC

NEWS: Andy Kirkpatrick Climbs FA of South Ridge of Ulvetanna

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Feb 2014
Ulvetanna, 2 kbAndy Kirkpatrick has just got back from a trip to Antarctica, where along with a team of Norwegians he made the first ascent of the South Ridge of Ulvetanna in Queen Maud Land...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68715
 mav 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

"However it meant missing christmas, after telling his children of the offer, and that it was from Aleks Gamme, they told him he should definately go."

Definitely needs proof reading.

colinakmc 14 Feb 2014
In reply to mav:

Mav - is that the best you can do? #### awesome Andy. Congratulations to the team.

Wonder why it's often such an anti climax to reach the top though?
 Skyfall 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice write up.
 Mick Ward 14 Feb 2014
In reply to colinakmc:

I suppose the culmination of your dream also means the end of it. So much effort, for so long and then suddenly... it's all over. A sense of unreality. Your subconscious screaming at you to get the f*ck out of it as fast as possible. A sense of, "Was it worth it?" Thoughts of those you've left behind. There must be such a maelstrom of emotions, many of them conflicting.

Agree, it looks like a big effort in a very serious environment indeed. Glad they got up and got back safely.

Mick
 Skyfall 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Or it could be something more prosaic, such as realising it's a hell of a long way back down...
In reply to UKC News:

Well done guys, shame about the jump but good the hear all made it back down again.

martinph78 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:
Good effort guys. It looks a great bit of rock, in a stunning landscape. I'm sure it won't be the last great line on it though.

Dan Moore 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

'Arctic Big Wall Climbing on Ulvetanna' - arctic climbing in the Antarctic? cool!
 Mick Ward 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> Or it could be something more prosaic, such as realising it's a hell of a long way back down...

Maybe so. For me, that would be a subset of '...get the f*ck out of it as fast as possible.'

'He who climbs and runs away
lives to climb another day.'

That's my motto - and I'm sticking to it!

Mick
 Dave 88 14 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

This is brilliant. Can't wait to see more photos.
 mav 14 Feb 2014
In reply to colinakmc:
> (In reply to mav)
>
> Mav - is that the best you can do?

Well ok. I typed it quickly - definately is a bugbear of mine. I saw the pics on the article, and others, on Andy's twitter feed a day or two ago. It's an impressive route and achievement.

I was trying to to find if Andy had said any more on his blog (he hasn't). I found the comments about Jonas interesting, especially as he ties it into Jonas being a soloist. Andy is perhaps best known to many for the solo ascent of Reticent Wall he details in psychovertival, so maybe it was a case of two soloists rubbing against one another?
 Mick Ward 14 Feb 2014
In reply to mav:

> ...so maybe it was a case of two soloists rubbing against one another?

'Definitely needs proof reading.'

Mick
 mav 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

touche
 AlanLittle 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

"Remember, in the Alps, when you get to the top your troubles have only just begun".

Said to me by an experienced alpinist just before my first alpine trip.
 Mick Ward 14 Feb 2014
In reply to mav:

Hey, just teasing!

Mick
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant. Well done guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...