UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Andy Pollitt - Punk in the Gym - Exclusive Extract

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 Apr 2016
Andy Pollitt, 6 kbIn this exclusive extract from his new book - Punk in the Gym - Andy Pollitt takes us back to times past and his relationship with the late and great Paul Williams.

Read more
 Sean Kelly 14 Apr 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Magic days indeed!
 Pedro50 14 Apr 2016

Looks good. Surely the crucial Friend on Right Wall was always a 2.5 not a 2?
 Michael Hood 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

And before half sizes appeared?
 Pedro50 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

Hmm good point. It was a 2.5 in 1989. I think a 2 would have been a bit sloppy. When did halves appear?
 nniff 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

> Hmm good point. It was a 2.5 in 1989. I think a 2 would have been a bit sloppy. When did halves appear?

Towards the end of 1982 I think. But a 2.5 is only any good if you possessed one, and back then you never saw the huge racks of cams everyone has now. I had a 1.5, 2 and 2.5 for example.

pec 15 Apr 2016

So why did he stop climbing?
 nigel baker 15 Apr 2016
In reply to pec:

Read the book..it's all in there!
I enjoyed it, a bit more honest and raw compared to the last batch of climbing heroes books!
 sn 15 Apr 2016

Read the book - it's a rip-roaring warts'n all read, certainly the best of the recent batch of climbing memoirs in my opinion.
 Babika 15 Apr 2016

Great article, great photo.

Of it's time - and brilliant for that
 AP Melbourne 16 Apr 2016
In reply to sn:

Heck! Thanks for the kind words Nigel (above) and sn, appreciated greatly. So glad you enjoyed the read. Pretty pictures and well done Vertebrate for the production.
Doubtless I'll be in for trouble when Vertigo's owners read it. Sacked probably, Ooops!
Cheers,
Andy.

Stevie A 16 Apr 2016
A cracking book. Highly recommended, and evocative of great times.

AP Melbourne 17 Apr 2016

Ta for the promo.
The slate pic is 2nd Ascent of JR's Manic Strain in Vivian Quarry though and the other pics are by Glenn Robbins.
Many, many thanks to those who've purchased the book ... took a heck of a lot of effort and plenty of assistance from Andy Boorman and Vertebrate. 'Different' isn't it?
Cheers again,
Andy.
 Climber_Bill 17 Apr 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Great book. Thanks for the signed copy.

TJB.
 TMM 18 Apr 2016

Some great stories and images there.

Does the full book have a chapter on his time as lead singer in Supergrass?
 AP Melbourne 19 Apr 2016
In reply to TMM:

Ha! You're not the first by any means to ask that question TMM ,,, But what's he done on grit?
Regs from Upsidedownland.
AP.
 GazzerM61 19 Apr 2016

Very happy with my signed copy. Easily the most open and revealing account of a climbers extraordinary life! One moment fingers holding onto a tiny edge above some of Wales most gripping tests and then next getting wasted in the pub with the rest of us! A complex yet ACCESSable character.
A bold book..............
lostcat 20 Apr 2016

Andy, I was at Pen Trwyn when you were belaying a mate on The Screw Machine. He took a massive pisser when he fell off right at the top, on that tricky move at the horizontal break. Ripped a wire and ended up not that far off the ground!
 Gary Gibson 21 Apr 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne: Hey Andy, enjoyed the read. Great memories of great times. Thanks for all the mentions. Big slap on the back mate.

Andy Gamisou 21 Apr 2016
In reply to nigel baker:

> Read the book..it's all in there!

> I enjoyed it, a bit more honest and raw compared to the last batch of climbing heroes books!

Looking forward to reading it. But I do think that Steve Mac's was pretty honest too.
 AP Melbourne 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:
Thanks - to all above, appreciated greatly.
Couldn't agree more Willi, hope you enjoy the read.
Ste Mac's is a brilliant read. What a star climber ... but moreso an open and honest autobiog. Respect!
Never met Steve and funny to think he drove virtually right past my front door, kicked 'Punks' right up the ar*e in a day - still the fastest ascent? - and drove back past the next day. Never stopped in for a brew & chat though ...!
Hitch-hiking eh ...... ? Similar tales. Must be the dashing good looks!
Ha!
Cheers,
Andy.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Apr 2016
I remember giving you a ride to North Wales in the Green Goddess (my old Cavalier) when you had plans for some big nasty lead on Gogarth (The Bells?) and was pleased to see you were there for the lift back on the Sunday evening
I think me and Parky did something mildly heroic on Cloggy.

Chris
Post edited at 15:37
 AP Melbourne 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Nice one Chris,
Yes, remember the old Green Goddess - and the stereo you sold me ... warmest sound ever that!
Reckon the lift was for H-Man as went with Bernard for The Bells ...
No offense for the 'Free that ...' mention BTW. Thing is, were it not for aid climbing 'us lot' may not have had the challenges we did eh?
Cheers,
Andy.
 AP Melbourne 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Gary Gibson:
Thanks Gary, means a lot that.
Yeah, fantastic days indeed.
What did I say? You did 345 new routes for every one I did? Or something like that. Sorry if I undersold you old bean.
Only two copies left now out of 150 I imported ... can't complain.
When will you write yours Gary?
Cheers,
Andy.
Post edited at 08:42
 Gary Gibson 27 Apr 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne: Hi Andy, the only concern I have is would anybody be interested? I have plotted it out and thought about calling the last chapter Never to look back, a carthartic look back on my exploits, the whys, the wherefores and some honest reflections. And there are plenty of stories to tell. But work gets in the way at the moment, which should hopefully change next year. Also have to find a publisher if I do decide to do it.

Mick Ward 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Gary, we're all interested! When you've got some time, just do it. I'm sure Vertebrate would be up for it. And (as I've said before) 'Never to Look Back' just has to be used. It's a great route too - seems to sum up Cheedale.

Mick
 Gary Gibson 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Mick Ward: I'll get to it over the coming winter. Have a good idea how I want to shape it.

andi turner 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Gary Gibson:

That'd be great Gary
 AP Melbourne 28 Apr 2016
In reply to andi turner:

You three hijacking my thread or wot, ha!
Be well all,
Cheers,
Andy.

Read this on a recent trip to the South of France and really, really enjoyed it Andy! Its brilliant and has loads of character and interesting stories that I (most of us?) had never heard!

Thought the pics were some of the best I've seen in a climbing book too!

Thanks for a great read!
Nicole kerr 22 May 2016
Brilliant read. Great memories. Dead honest & heaps of laughs as well. Cheeky from day 1, page 1. Who would have thought that you could write so brilliantly. You may not be on the rock any more but you still rock. Best read I've had in a long time. Ta
Post edited at 04:16
 Pedro50 22 May 2016

Have ordered the book and look forward to reading it. I remember meeting you at Gogarth once. You gave me some advice on Blue Peter (crucial RP4 required). I spent the entire ascent trying to cram it into every placement I could see, but found the right place in the end. Thanks again.
 David Alcock 22 May 2016

I really enjoyed it. The late 80s eh... Also the bizarre coincidences: running rope-access firms, bipolar... well, I certainly identified. Cheers Andy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...