UKC

Andy Pollitt RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 12 Nov 2019

We posted earlier today announcing that Andy Pollitt had passed away, following information received through email and posted online. We have since been informed that Andy is still on life support, which is due to be turned off tomorrow (Melbourne time). We apologise for incorrectly reporting the news and our thoughts are with Andy's friends and family.

Shani 12 Nov 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Oh my goodness. This is terrible news. An absolute legend of the sport. An icon who epitomised the 80s climbing revolution.

In reply to Shani:

F**k

Darron 12 Nov 2019

Oh No!! Awful news. Great climber and great on here too. RIP.

In reply to Darron:

Oh no, what terrible news.

jcm

Chris_Mellor 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Couldn't have said it better.

FreshSlate 12 Nov 2019

Oh no. That's terrible news.

Ian W 12 Nov 2019

what Graeme said.

Mr Lopez 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> F**k

Indeed

What an awful tragedy.

Alkis 12 Nov 2019

🙁

Dave Garnett 12 Nov 2019

Not your fault, but if anything this is somehow even more horrible than the news I responded to this morning. 

Gary Gibson 12 Nov 2019

such sad news, I was only talking to him a couple of months ago. 100% good guy and a good but distant, by mileage, friend. Always enjoyed competing for new routes with him in North Wales, always in a friendly way. And all that enjoyment around Pen Trwyn. RIP my friend.

I’m working late tonight, and am off to the climbing wall before going back to finish off. I haven’t been able to drive off because for some unaccountable reason I can’t see for tears.

all the climbing stuff aside, Andy was a lovely sensitive, kind and funny guy. I’m really sorry Andy.

marsbar 12 Nov 2019

I'm so sorry.  I enjoyed chatting to him on here. 

Nick Alcock 12 Nov 2019

So very sorry to hear this.

RIP Andy.

Sean Kelly 12 Nov 2019

That's a shock. I was just enjoying reading one of his articles the other day, his second ascent of the Bells, the Bells on Gogarth! Really sad news as he was no age at all. Was it Andy with that classic picture with the seaweed hair? He will be greatly missed. One of N Wales legends!

Post edited at 20:03
 john arran 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

In a sense he was the Al Harris of his generation. Characters like that really liven up the climbing scene and always appear to be getting less numerous, which may have some truth to it as climbing becomes more mainstream but may well be just a warped perception resulting from selective memory. We tend to filter out the grey and remember only the bright stars, of which Andy was certainly one of the brightest.

RIP Andy.

fmck 12 Nov 2019

Andy was in my teenage years my number one rock  star climbing hero. He just looked like a rock star and nothing like the climbers i climbed with at the time in Scotland. I met him only once at the first national or international BMC youth meet. He sat with a girl friend at a table in the Scotsman with everyone of our group too much in awe to approach. I got a bit pissed and got the courage to approach him. What followed was a most accommodating evening spent with him. He gave the most valuable advice on advancing my climbing I have ever had and his personal stories were bonkers. I lost my mother last week after 13 years of dealing with dementia but Andy was too young to go!

Deadeye 12 Nov 2019

The candle that burned twice as bright.

The world seems darker.

bouldery bits 12 Nov 2019

Fuxks sake.

Gutting.

Seemed like a proper brilliant bloke on here and someone I genuine looked up to at the start of my climbing journey. Someone who didn't take life too seriously.

Andy, you will be missed.

Post edited at 21:16
 tehmarks 13 Nov 2019

I only knew Andy from his contributions to UKC and from reading of his rich past, and so I can't explain why this news has hit so viscerally. Andy was evidently a unique and brilliant individual who contributed greatly to the colour of the climbing world, and to the colour and depth of UKC.

My sincerest condolences to family, friends and all those here who knew Andy personally.

FBSF 13 Nov 2019

I last saw Andy in 2003 completely by accident in the grampians at the legendary troopers arms. I knew Andy from Sheffield and Wales in the 80's. He had given up climbing but we had a good chin wag about the brit scene, rope access, oz and all things in between. The evening progressed and a rather large party of ex pats/brits/climbers/hangers on and other miscreants ended up drinking/dancing and misbehaving till the sun came up. 

Rip Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...