UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Annapurna III

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 Dec 2017
Annapurna 3, 3 kbOur Friday Night Video this week is the award winning 'Annapurna III - Unclimbed,' featuring Hansjörg Auer and Alex Blümel in a team led by David Lama. They attempt the south-east ridge of Annapurna III and throughout the film we get a first hand view of the fatigue, anxiety and exposure that comes with an unclimbed route on a 7500m peak.

Read more
 Greylag 30 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

David Lama has an innocence and drive (along with his partners) that is infectious. He seems to just crack on and give it a bloody good go.

Good to watch an 'unsuccessful' attempt.
 LastBoyScout 30 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting - I did the Annapurna Circuit last month.
 mbh 30 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Apart from the long shots of the face, I thought it was an awful video. The clanging music just annoyed and the silly, shifting angles meant that I never really got a sense of what it was like to be one of the climbers right there on the face, looking up, unlike in the Sim/Bullock video, which was great.
 Paul Figg 31 Dec 2017
In reply to mbh:

Completely agree, its obviously a slick production but lacked any history about the previous attempt, failed to put you on the route as a climber or give you any idea of difficulty, weather, loose rock, route choice, team work etc. The Simm / Bullock production succeeded in putting you on the route and gave a greater understanding of all aspects of their routes. Plus all done on a shoestring budget.
 Goucho 31 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Isn't this the line attempted by Nick Colton, Tim Leach and Steve Bell back in 81'?

Amazing to think that after five previous attempts by strong talented teams, it's still unclimbed up to this point?

It's obviously a bit of a beast.
 tingle 31 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

At least I still have time ....
 henwardian 02 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

What was the approach alternative? A week of bush-bashing, river swimming and moraine treadmilling? Was the helicopter _really_ not a preferred alternative if we are being honest and all?! :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...