UKC

NEWS: Awesomely Stockport - From Church to Mill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 13 Sep 2007
In its heyday it had 52 pairs of spinning mules with a total of 137,312 spindles powered by a double Manhattan engine constucted by Georger Saxon Ltd, and employed 300 local people spinning Egyptian, American and Brazilian cotton ready to be woven in the weaving sheds of East Lancashire. The mill closed in 1978 and now, like many mills and churches, is being used to house small industrial units and retail space.......and now a new climbing wall.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
Pete Baars 13 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: It looks awesome!!
 Al Evans 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Sounds good for you Mita!
 BobbyH 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Any word on a completion date?
Clauso 14 Sep 2007

Excellent! I've picked a good time to move back to the Stockport area... Pear Mill is a good location; if you get bored with all that climbing, then you can always nip down to the River Goyt at the side of the mill and bag yourself a few trout, chub, roach etc. etc.
 Dave Garnett 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Clauso:

I'm all for more walls and working in Marple Bridge I'm going to be spoilt for choice. Except that I live near Leek and it would have been a lot more useful to have it near Stoke somewhere. Does anyone know whether any of the much-discussed Stoke wall plans are going anywhere?
 gazbonutter 14 Sep 2007

This is great news, I only live up the road so lets hope it is ready soon for some winter training!

Fancy only costing £150 000 to build back in the day, my two up, two down terrace is worth that now and its a darn site smaller than the mill!

So come on UKClimbing lets get an estimated completion date! It looks like we could use the bouldering room in about a weeks time, bring it on....
OP Michael Ryan 14 Sep 2007
In reply to gazbonutter:

They are aiming for December.
 GUZZA 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Mwahahahah loyalty cards eh? Nothing sounds better to me than a free brew!
 Wibble Wibble 14 Sep 2007
In reply to GUZZA:
> Nothing sounds better to me than a free brew!

What, not even an Awesome Muffin?

GUZZA 16 Sep 2007
In reply to Wibble Wibble: White choc-chip cookies for the win!
fhaigh 17 Sep 2007

pity the loyalty card doesn't apply to loyal customers who have passes.
In reply to fhaigh:

> pity the loyalty card doesn't apply to loyal customers who have passes.

Sorry fhaigh this isn't totaly true.

We do reward loyal customers who get the 1 week pass by giving them 2 stamps and customers purchasing a 4 week pass get 4 stamps (as stated on the back of your membership card).

We decided not to give stamps on 3/6 month passes because these passes are very good value.

Dave D.
AWCC
 CJD 17 Sep 2007
In reply to D Douglas:

Brilliant news about the wall, Dave! hurrah!

does your favourite Awesome Walls viral-PR person get a free pass?

Zone H 20 Sep 2007
Looking forward to seeing those main walls, so whens the opening party?
CvictoriaD 02 Oct 2007

Amzazing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...