UKC

NEWS: Bear Grylls.......the hype starts to implode

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 23 Jul 2007
Etonian, former SAS man and Everest summiteer Bear Grylls is a best selling author, motivational speaker and presenter of the US Discovery Channel's 'Man Vs Wild' TV Series and Channel Four's TV Series: 'Born Survivor.'

Recently Bear claimed to have broke a world record by flying a powered paraglid...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
OP Michael Ryan 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Ridge:

Yes I know Ridge. At the risk of repeating myself again, not all use the forums.

More Bear discussions here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=243114

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=245651

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=238968
Ste Brom 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

thank god its only telly.

tobby maguire aint spiderman either....
 Glyn Jones 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Ste Brom: and Scouse University didn't win University Challenge neither!

phew!

hehe!
Ste Brom 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: told you. im a cartoon character.

I dont exist beyond the wider frames of your solipsistic existence.

I am your new god.

Now bear is dead.
 Glyn Jones 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Ste Brom: I will get on my knees and pray to you, you moustached mullet headed tracksuit wearing idol.
 Glyn Jones 23 Jul 2007
> Etonian, former SAS man and Everest summiteer Bear Grylls is a best selling author, motivational speaker and presenter of the US Discovery Channel's 'Man Vs Wild' TV Series and Channel Four's TV Series: 'Born Survivor.'

awe Mick - leave the poor lad alone, he's the best thing to happen to survival since the tellitubby started lighting fires in the outback!
In reply to Glyn Jones: didn't one of the tellytubbies do his own survival show?
 Glyn Jones 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley: Congrats - you've spotted my reference!
UKClimbing.com's Tom Briggs also reports,

"I know people who were in base camp the day he flew over Dingboche and the joke was "why didn't he do it over Surrey?!"
 Glyn Jones 23 Jul 2007
> UKClimbing.com's Tom Briggs also reports,
>
> "I know people who were in base camp the day he flew over Dingboche and the joke was "why didn't he do it over Surrey?!"

Oooooooooh, you are a nasty squire today.

What about his other achievement - 2001 'Facing Up' nominated for the Boardman Tasker Mountain Literature Prize ?

Dave Murphy 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

should be retitled

"fessing up"
 Glyn Jones 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: as listed here;

http://www.boardmantasker.com/site/other_years.htm#2001
Hotbad Peteel 23 Jul 2007

MICK!!!!! this is low by your standards. You've linked to the daily mail for christs sake.
p
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> MICK!!!!! this is low by your standards. You've linked to the daily mail for christs sake.
> p

Don't knock the Daily Mail Hotbad, it is responsible for keeping many an over 60 alive with it's heart-racing content....reading its front page is the only excercise that some people get.

Without it they'd be flatlining.
 Henry Iddon 23 Jul 2007

Did the Queen not storm out of a chat room discussion with the Bear, or did the mods re edit it
 jazzyjackson 24 Jul 2007

I always new Ray Mears would come out on top, when it comes to survival and 3 course diners in the bush, he is the man.

Gryllis is all shop front and now the fat lady has began to sing.

La lalalalalalalalala laaaaaaaaaaa
 blancbleu 24 Jul 2007

That bear chap always came across as a complete chopper anyway.

You'd see him claiming he was jumping down into some hard to access creek by allegedly the only possible route, yet as he reaches the bottom the camera crew are all down there to film him leaping down etc. Not that inaccesible then obviously. Then later he has to chimney his way out with a big sturglle yet the camera crew are always right behind him.

They should get the camera guys to show how it's done as they seemed to find it easier than the big bad bear.

> Yes I know Ridge. At the risk of repeating myself again, not all use the forums.

Ermmm.... then posting a thread in the Forums isn't likely to catch their eye, then...?
 TMM 25 Jul 2007

Well it was only a matter of time before the jealous, snidey, back stabbing world of UK Climbing turned against one of this country's last great heroes.

Bear is a tremendous inspiration. His television shows have been seen by millions and have no doubt saved thousands of lives thanks to his well reasoned sage advice.

Let's please remember that Bear is one of our own, a climber and Everest summiteer.

Time to leave the Bear bashing behind and perhaps think about offering the guy some support as those with their media ambitions seek to belittle the guy's achievements.
 Glyn Jones 25 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM: thought I defend him
 Philip M 25 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM:

>
> Bear is a tremendous inspiration. His television shows have been seen by millions and have no doubt saved thousands of lives thanks to his well reasoned sage advice.
>

You are taking the piss right?? I've only watched a couple of episodes but if you followed the advice that I've seen, then you'd probably kill yourself.

eg. 'I could walk around this Alaskan bay but instead I'll try and paddle inbetween icebergs and smash my boat then try and swim for it'.

Or 'Here is a log jam in a creek, I'll just hold my breath and swim under it'

or in Alaska again 'I've ditched my skis so I'll ass slide down a snow slope that I can't see the bottom of. If I hope for the best I'm sure it'll be fine!'

Paul B 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Philip M:
> (In reply to TMM)
>
> [...]
>
> You are taking the piss right?? I've only watched a couple of episodes but if you followed the advice that I've seen, then you'd probably kill yourself.
>
> eg. 'I could walk around this Alaskan bay but instead I'll try and paddle inbetween icebergs and smash my boat then try and swim for it'.
>
> Or 'Here is a log jam in a creek, I'll just hold my breath and swim under it'
>
> or in Alaska again 'I've ditched my skis so I'll ass slide down a snow slope that I can't see the bottom of. If I hope for the best I'm sure it'll be fine!'

Seconded

Mick Ward 25 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM:
>
> Bear is a tremendous inspiration. His television shows have been seen by millions and have no doubt saved thousands of lives

No doubt.

Mick
 TMM 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Philip M:
> (In reply to TMM)
>
> [...]
>
> You are taking the piss right?? I've only watched a couple of episodes but if you followed the advice that I've seen, then you'd probably kill yourself.

I think you've probably been taking Bear's advice too literally. Bear has an ability to switch off his Western, sensationalist sensibilities and allows himself to commune with the environment akin our forefathers.
>
> eg. 'I could walk around this Alaskan bay but instead I'll try and paddle inbetween icebergs and smash my boat then try and swim for it'.

This example demonstrates Bears impetuous and adventurous nature. Sometimes taking the path less traveled yields the greatest rewards. Please also remember that Bear is an expert in outdoor survival and was previously a highly decorated member of the SAS so he knows what he's talking about.
>
> Or 'Here is a log jam in a creek, I'll just hold my breath and swim under it'

Another example of Bear's spirit. Even in a moment of adversity he is determined to push himself and give himself a challenge.
>
> or in Alaska again 'I've ditched my skis so I'll ass slide down a snow slope that I can't see the bottom of. If I hope for the best I'm sure it'll be fine!'

Isn't it wonderful that Bear can turn a potentially dangerous situation into one that is fun? A key element to survival is morale. An exhilarating glissade will always put a smile on your face.

GrahamD 26 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM:

Don't over egg it - you were doing pretty well up to there.
 Martin Jones 26 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM:

Top trolling. We should have a separate category for Troll of the week, and all-time trolls. That would be such an ace read.....

Call it the JCT-baiters room or the like
In reply to TMM:
>> >
> Time to leave the Bear bashing

baiting shirley?
 Calvi 26 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM:

Edward is my hero, if anybody else dares poke fun at him I shall jolly well thwack them with my cwicket bat. So there !!
Agent Moog 26 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM:
>
> This example demonstrates Bears impetuous and adventurous nature. Sometimes taking the path less traveled yields the greatest rewards. Please also remember that Bear is an expert in outdoor survival and was previously a highly decorated member of the SAS so he knows what he's talking about.

In combination with your first post, this is one of the best posts on UKC there's been for some time.
sam the man 26 Jul 2007
In reply to TMM: Brilliant....
Sam
 TMM 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Agent Moog:

Thanks Agent,

It's good to see that Bear has some other supporters amongst the armchair cynics of UK Climbing.

I will continue to write in support of Bear and his work and defend him from the slings and arrows of abuse.

I hope that Bear takes some advice from fellow old Etonian Jonathan Aitken. Maybe Jonathan can lend him his famous "sword of truth and trusty shield of fair play" to help keep his detractors at bay.
In reply to TMM:

lol... one of the most hilarious 'bet they wished they'd never said that' moments in political history...
steviej890 28 Jul 2007

Things just don't add up with Mr Grylls. Why imply you were full (22) SAS when you were only part of the (21) SAS TA. At least David Davis Con MP always said he was TA SAS and didn't bullshit! Hey but not Mr Grylls, likes to miss out the TA bit and just leave the SAS bit or at a push include the (21) knowing few people realise that (21) is TA! Massive selection difference, Andy McNab and all the 22 boys must be pissing themselves. For further info on this 'SAS' story check out http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=16305
 Digger 29 Jul 2007
In reply to steviej890:

It gets worse! CHIPPING! Check out the 'chipped' holds he uses to pull out of the water. About two minutes into:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoagOL29Zqk&mode=related&search=

What a joke.
steviej890 29 Jul 2007
In reply to Digger:

Well actually it can get worse... yeah really! Sorry about using a Daily Mail link but needs must!

'Grizzly attack' on survival show was man in fancy-dress bear costume' Daily Mail July 28th.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_...
In reply to steviej890:
>
> Things just don't add up with Mr Grylls. Why imply you were full (22) SAS when you were only part of the (21) SAS TA. At least David Davis Con MP always said he was TA SAS and didn't bullshit! Hey but not Mr Grylls, likes to miss out the TA bit and just leave the SAS bit or at a push include the (21) knowing few people realise that (21) is TA! Massive selection difference, Andy McNab and all the 22 boys must be pissing themselves. For further info on this 'SAS' story check out http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=16305

Same selection process tho.
steviej890 29 Jul 2007
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

No - similar selection process but not same. Put it this way any (22) guy can swop to (21) or (23) without selection (not that they would want to! It's usually that they are seconded there to teach) Where as a TA guy in (21) or (23) has to do full (22) selection like any other squaddie and I think you can guess just how many pass? Chris Ryan was a notable exception. So does that say they are equal to you?
The TA SAS are an important 'cog' within the Territorial Army but let's not put them on par with (22). They are good but NOT that good!
 Peakpdr 29 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: oops sorry didnt realise this was the slate bear grylls web site
 blancbleu 30 Jul 2007
In reply to steviej890:

excellent stuff.

loulou 30 Jul 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: How dare anyone slate the good name (or news in relgious cirles) that is Bear grylls? Now there is one sexy explorer!
ju 06 Aug 2007

I know this is pretty late news now but I've only just had time to check the forums. I wanted to say thanks Mick for making this a forum topic open for discussion. After all Bear's actions do reflect on our UK climbing community as well. Actions have consequences and I believe Bear needs to be more honest and transparent. You can't keep adding layer upon layer of spin to your 'achievements'. I live in Hereford and the TA SAS issue has really annoyed people but as always the Regiment's policy is not to confirm or deny any press issues. So as you will see from posts in this forum and other sites, Bear has really convinced people to be badged to (21) or (23) TA is equal to (22). I feel sad for the guys in the TA who don't bullshit and the genuine guys in (22) StevieJ is spot on in his post; if they were equal why do TA guys have to do FULL (22) selection? No fast track? Also,(22) is 6 mths continuous selection not days/weeks off to recover here and there like TA. Also (22) guys are expected to achieve much better times on selection tasks.

Stick to the truth Bear, that was a good story, you don't need all this spin and hype. It just hacks people off.

Wibble Wibble 06 Aug 2007
In reply to steviej890:
> (In reply to Digger)
>
> Well actually it can get worse... yeah really! Sorry about using a Daily Mail link but needs must!
>
> 'Grizzly attack' on survival show was man in fancy-dress bear costume' Daily Mail July 28th.
>

Surely this has to be the Mail running a late, or early, April fool. Bear's 'bear' just looks so shite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...