UKC

NEWSFLASH: Ben Moon climbs Rainshadow 9a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Jun 2015
Ben Moon on Rainshadow (9a) at Malham Cove, 3 kbBen Moon has climbed his second 9a with an ascent of Rainshadow at Malham Cove, 25 years after his first of the grade. This is the fourth ascent of Rainshadow, first climbed by Steve McClure in 2003.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69775
 FactorXXX 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Return of the master!
 Jack Geldard 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Totally inspired by this. Hats off to Ben, absolute legend.

Congratulations.

Jack
 DWS gibraltar 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Wow !
Post edited at 18:56
 Smelly Fox 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome news! Legend!
kingie52 08 Jun 2015
Well done Ben Moon!!!
 Climber_Bill 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely amazing!
 BarrySW19 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Damn, there goes using my age as an excuse for not getting up the hard stuff.
 JLS 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Form is temporary class is permanent.

I remember seeing him on a recent video basically being interviewed mid 8a climb and I was thinking, "So, still pretty fit then."
Very inspiring for us older athletes, perhaps we do have more in the tank...
 ericinbristol 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Wonderful!!!
 Kemics 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

seems like he penned that autobiography a little soon. A few more chapters to go!
 Bulls Crack 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

This really IS inspiring news for the middle-aged climber!

I was wondering how he was getting on...quite well it seems
 Fraser 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Wow, now this really is news. Well done that man!
 Tom Last 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Superb!
 jon 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Wow. And two 9as that couldn't be more different. Rainshadow is two and a half times longer than Hubble.
 Jim Brooke 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant. I love hearing of people climbing hard at his age (or older!) I find it a real source of inspiration to aim high....
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome... Nice one Ben, inspirational ascent!
 Mark Morris 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Yeah but, what's he ever done on ...........
 teddy 08 Jun 2015
Incredible news. Well done Ben!!

Tyler 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

That is amazing, I can't imagine there ever being more goodwill directed to one ascent. Inspirational
 JayK 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

When's the next book coming out?!

I suggest Statement. Oh wait...
 tombeasley 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

legend
 Paul Figg 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News: Fantastic effort that shows age is no barrier with dedication to achieve your goals. MASSIVE respect showing the youngsters how its done.

In reply to UKC News:

Utterly inspiring and amazing achievement from my childhood hero! Well done Ben!

(Ben once gave me a rope bag for free at the outdoor show. I didn't have enough to buy it being a kid. Never forgot that. Amazing bloke)
In reply to UKC News:

That's astonishing; fantastic effort.

Imagine if he were to do Northern Lights after all these years........

jcm
 HakanT 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

How impressive is this?
Imagine Usain Bolt doing a 9.58 100 m in 2034, Paula Radcliffe doing a marathon in 2:15 in 2028 or Stefan Edberg winning Wimbledon in 2015.
 Diggler 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Total hero

Well done Mr Moon
 mav 08 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Incredibly impressive, if slightly disappointing that my usual excuse of 'old age' just became even weaker.

Out of interest, when did Hubble become 9? I thought it's official grade was 'possibly undergraded at 8c+?
In reply to mav:

>when did Hubble become 9

When Adam Ondra failed on it!

jcm

spidermonkey09 08 Jun 2015
In reply to mav:

Think popular consensus is that its 9a, would be amazed if the next guide didn't have it as that. Anyone know what the new BMC one has it at?
 stp 08 Jun 2015
In reply to spidermonkey09:

> Anyone know what the new BMC one has it at?

9a
 Robert Durran 09 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely brilliant! As many have already said, really inspiring for us middle aged lot.
 Ed Booth 09 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

So inspiring! And Ondra's flash of Jade.
 goose299 09 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

What a lad!!
 orge 09 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Wow! This is totally out of the blue!

As noted, the routes couldn't really be more different in style. You would also expect there to be easier 9a's out there for someone who has focussed on bouldering problems for the last 15ish years?

Was it the line or is this a return to routes for Ben? Hope you guys can grab an interview - it would be great to hear more about his motivations.

Congrats!

J
 jon 09 Jun 2015
In reply to orge:

> Wow! This is totally out of the blue!

Well yes, that's the thing. For those of us who don't climb at Malham all the time or who are not in the know, it is out of the blue. For Catwalk regulars though, they must have seen this coming - I'm sure it didn't just happen overnight - and yet no inkling of it filtered through. Was everyone sworn to secrecy? Come on Maham habitués, tell us more.

galpinos 09 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:

The rumour mill has made mention of quite a bit of time spent at the new school room, didn't realise this was the aim though!

So impressed and inspired. My childhood hero still going strong despite me no longer being a child.
In reply to jon:
jon you are quite right, although we weren't sworn to secrecy - when you're in a the little Malham microcosm you just presume everyone knows

Ben has been getting progressively closer and closer of over the past month and it did feel like an inevitability that he was going to do it. That said, these things are never until the bag until they're done and due to the cool conditions required I would have imagined Ben was getting more than a little worried that the warm summertime conditions were going to thwart his efforts.

What I will say is that seeing him climb Raindogs and get through the roof above (multiple times!) was a truly exceptional display of rock climbing, the precision and accuracy to which it was executed was remarkable - so smooth! Unfortunately I didn't get to see him finish it, but by all accounts it was an impressive display. No doubt Jack and Natalie will have a follow-up report detailing full account over the next few days.

Great effort Ben, well done!
Post edited at 10:38
 jsmcfarland 09 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

hero!
 Mike Todd 09 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Well that's my "I'm too old" excuse gone then!!
 mav 09 Jun 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

That's what I thought. Though if I fail on a route and mutter about it being undergraded, I get flamed. Us mere mortals operate under different rules.
 Mountain Lass 09 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

So impressed! Incredibly inspirational.
In reply to Exile:

Nice account. He's such a hero.

I wonder what he is going to do now. If anything, of course.

jcm
 neilh 10 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome. Puts most of todays sports climbers to shame.I hope they will respond by matching his ascent.
 mav 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Exile:

Thanks for the link. A good account.
 JLS 10 Jun 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

>"I wonder what he is going to do now"

Northern Lights it would seem!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69776

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...