UKC

NEWS: Birkett Repeats The Walk of Life - Full Story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 May 2010
[Dave Birkett on The Walk of Life, 3 kb]After taking multiple falls, Dave Birkett has made a successful ascent of 'The Walk of Life'.

In this exclusive interview, Dave gives us the full details of the route and of his ascent.

“It's a bold E8 into a sustained well protected E8. Benchmark E9 6c, although "If 6 Were 9" and "Holdfast" are a bit harder.”

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=53538

Owen W-G 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome, good write up. Nice one Dave.
 tony 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Nothing like throwing down a gauntlet for Mr McHaffie!
 Andy Moles 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Seems a bit harsh on James McHaffie to hype up a potential onsight before he's even visited it - or is there something you're holding back for an exclusive tomorrow?
 Sargey 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, good work Dave.
 IainAM 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I love reading about stuff like this, brilliant and good write up.

(although have to agree with actually naming people when talking about its onsight potential seeming wrong)
 Ramon Marin 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

What a legend this Birkett! I was also really impressed that his mate Andy flashed the route on top-rope. Jeez, this weekend climbers!
 Philip 20 May 2010
But what does Joseph the 41 year old builder from North Wales think of this?
 buzzmorph 20 May 2010
In reply to pigeonjim:

But way beyond 99% of UKC users.

point being...?
 Keeg 20 May 2010
In reply to buzzmorph:
What a strange question.
I'd assume that the point is that the route is way beyond 99% of UKC users. Hardly a contentious statement?
 Michael Ryan 20 May 2010
In reply to buzzmorph:
> (In reply to pigeonjim)
>
> But way beyond 99% of UKC users.

Yeah he's right. All 170,000 of them.

Keeg 20 May 2010
In reply to Keeg:
Oh yeah and nice one Dave, bon effort.
In reply to Keeg:

i think it will turn out to be...

ukc rulebook page 94: "there is no such thing as an uncontentious statement"....
 Mike Stretford 20 May 2010
In reply to Keeg:
> (In reply to buzzmorph)
> I'd assume that the point is that the route is way beyond 99% of UKC users.

Which is a superfulous point given the grade and that it is in the news! No biggie but it does read a bit squiffy.
 Owen W-G 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

"I placed the gear on the lead, but on the final headpoint I had some gear placed from previous lead attempts, there was no point stripping it. I think I got it on my fourth lead attempt."

I'm confused.
Was the gear on the successful ascent placed on the lead?
 Keeg 20 May 2010
In reply to Papillon:
A superfluous post to point out a superfluous point followed by more superfluous posts.
I fear we may be heading off topic.

This is a weird place...
 The Pylon King 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Obviously wouldn't be an onsight for James McHaffie or anyone else if the holds were all chalked up.
 john arran 20 May 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

>> But way beyond 99% of UKC users.

>Yeah he's right. All 170,000 of them.

... which sort of suggests there are 1,700 UKC users who might consider having a go at it!
In reply to Keeg: Just answering the question you posed. Sorry.
 hamsforlegs 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I just considered having a go at it.
I thought 'nah'.

Inspiring photos and write-up though.

I shudder with nauseating fear at the thought of 'our informal Thursday night scrambling club'.

Mark
 Tom Last 20 May 2010
In reply to amanonaspeedingbike:
> (In reply to UKC News)

>
> I shudder with nauseating fear at the thought of 'our informal Thursday night scrambling club'.
>
> Mark

Yeah right - Says Dave to Mark one damp Lakeland Thursday evening...

"Wee bimble up Footless Crow?"

No thanks!
 Keeg 20 May 2010
In reply to Papillon:
No need to apologise, I just wanted to nip the sidetrack (which I foolishly started) in the bud. I didn't mean to come across as rude.

I maintain that this is a weird place.

Anyway back to the wows, amazings and congratulations.
In reply to Keeg:

well, i did say....

Reach>Talent 20 May 2010
In reply to Southern Man:
I initially read it as he'd put up a new E5 with the scrambling club. If E5 is scrambling I give up now
 pigeonjim 20 May 2010
In reply to buzzmorph:
> (In reply to pigeonjim)
>
> But way beyond 99% of UKC users.
>
> point being...?

UKC has its fair share of people who will talk about the grade like they understand it fully when infact it is so far removed from what I do that I dont have clue.
Good to see Dave call himself a weekend climber. He always comes across as someone who just likes his climbing
In reply to Keeg:
> (In reply to Papillon)
>
>
> Anyway back to the wows, amazings and congratulations.

Yep, fantastic stuff.

Interesting comments about a potential onsight.
 Tom Last 20 May 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:

I dunno, didn't you scramble half an E4 last night?

Tired this morning?
 Monk 20 May 2010
In reply to Owen W-G:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> "I placed the gear on the lead, but on the final headpoint I had some gear placed from previous lead attempts, there was no point stripping it. I think I got it on my fourth lead attempt."
>
> I'm confused.
> Was the gear on the successful ascent placed on the lead?

I read that to mean that all the gear was placed on the sharp end, rather than from a top rope. However, the gear was left in (up to his high point) after each attempt.
 Reach>Talent 20 May 2010
In reply to Southern Man:
Absolutely dead. I got in a bit late only to discover the place is in chaos
 Tom Last 20 May 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Ah unlucky mate, quiet one here - dull though.
 Fraser 20 May 2010
In reply to Monk:

I read it as being he placed gear on lead each time, but on the final headpoint, he had some gear still insitu. In other words, some of the gear was placed on lead, some wasn't. Don't think it mentioned anything about it being left at each high point.
 Rampikino 20 May 2010
In reply to Fraser:

Good on him. No doubt the grade debaters will love this, but hey - it's way way way beyond me in a million years and I think Dave B is a crackin climber!
 Monk 20 May 2010
In reply to Fraser:

> (In reply to Monk)
>
> I read it as being he placed gear on lead each time, but on the final headpoint, he had some gear still insitu. In other words, some of the gear was placed on lead, some wasn't. Don't think it mentioned anything about it being left at each high point.

It's quite difficult to lower off pieces lower than your top piece, though...

Of course, he may have got back on and top-roped it again between leads, but then why would you remove some gear and not other bits.
 Morgan Woods 20 May 2010
In reply to Dark Mavis:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Obviously wouldn't be an onsight for James McHaffie or anyone else if the holds were all chalked up.

have you never onsighted a climb with chalk on it?
 Ant Mace 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Great news and brilliant photos - I love reading about stuff like this too!

Well done Dave.
 Michael Gordon 20 May 2010
In reply to Fraser:
> I read it as being he placed gear on lead each time, but on the final headpoint, he had some gear still insitu. In other words, some of the gear was placed on lead, some wasn't. Don't think it mentioned anything about it being left at each high point.

Each high point would be the logical place to leave the gear though wouldn't it?

'Stripping the gear' would tend to imply going back up to the top and abbing down each time. If one wanted to avoid having to do that, perhaps say only the top two bits of gear might be left in each time? Of course as he would have pulled the ropes each time, where the gear was left isn't particularly important.
 Michael Gordon 20 May 2010

And yes, the photos are superb!
 tobyfk 20 May 2010
In reply to Rampikino:
> (In reply to Fraser)
>
> Good on him. No doubt the grade debaters will love this

Absolutely: surely Eroica is only E2?

In reply to tobyfk:
> Absolutely: surely Eroica is only E2?

E4 now since the crucial peg has gone.

Alan
 cat22 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News: Those photos are really inspiring. Looks like an awesome route! Good effort Dave!
 Ron Kenyon 20 May 2010
In reply to pigeonjim:

Good night last night at Keswick Theatre - with Doug Scott.

Interesting views from both on climbing, mountaineering - and some direct replies from Dave.

Inspirational

A bit sad when the guy, from Wild Country, who sponsored the event, only goes bouldering and didn't know much about Doug - or even about Dave. Hope he listened and learned that there is more to climbing than just bouldering
 tintinandpip 20 May 2010
Great stuff Dave awsome pics if i may say so myself! Probably because i took the best ones not my dad. The camping was great in the golf camper van whilst you lot got wet in your bivi bags!!!

calum mitchell(photographer)
 Brendan 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News: Another excellent article, nice one.
 The Pylon King 20 May 2010
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to Dark Mavis)
> [...]
>
> have you never onsighted a climb with chalk on it?

Of course not, if you can see where the holds are then its not truly onsight is it?
And surely its either onsight or not onsight?
 Michael Ryan 20 May 2010
In reply to Dark Mavis:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]
>
> Of course not, if you can see where the holds are then its not truly onsight is it?

Onsight means on first look, you go to the crag, see route, climb it from bottom to top without falling. Lots of us do that, in fact perhaps all of us have done that.

If you are lucky the holds will be chalked which helps of course, if you are unlucky the holds will not be chalked...making it more difficult....in some cases.

Clearly some onsights are harder than others, that's just how it is.

Stick that in your grading pipe.
 jonny taylor 20 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I read the whole article hoping to reach the bit where "Mitchell's son Callum (11)" follows him up it...
 tintinandpip 21 May 2010
In reply to jonny taylor: I don't think it will be long before he does !!
 Quiddity 21 May 2010
In reply to Dark Mavis:
> Of course not, if you can see where the holds are then its not truly onsight is it?

I sincerely hope then that all of your logged onsights were either at night or blindfolded?

> And surely its either onsight or not onsight?

Meanwhile, back in the real world...
 Jon Ratcliffe 21 May 2010
In reply to Dark Mavis: and this from someone who records themselves onsight seconding routes in their log book! Classic
 Bulls Crack 21 May 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
> (In reply to tobyfk)
> [...]
>
> E4 now since the crucial peg has gone.
>
> Alan

I was broken and useless 18 years ago - think I got a wire behind the stump.
 Bulls Crack 21 May 2010
In reply to Bulls Crack:

oh nearly forgot - great ascent - If 6 were 9 and Holdfast must be very hard
 Graham Hoey 21 May 2010
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> I was broken and useless 18 years ago - think I got a wire behind the stump.

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself!
Cheers
graham
 hexcentric 21 May 2010
In reply to Dark Mavis:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]
>
> And surely its either onsight or not onsight?

Oh no! What if the rock is a bit worn from passage of climbers, or discoloured, or scratched by crampons then? There must be an increasing amount of routes all over Britain that will never be onsighted ever again!
nicom 31 May 2010
In reply to UKC News: Lets be honest chaps! Most of us would never even get near E8 let alone E- ridiculous so let the wads argue (i.e. not from their armchair) Just say well done

Nice one Dave awesome clibming (although i'll never get on it so it might be shit)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...