UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Bishop: the Buttermilks and Beyond...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 02 Nov 2018

If you were to ask a child to draw a boulder, the chances are they'd sketch something similar to the Buttermilks. When combined with the alpine backdrop, this must make Bishop one of the most aesthetic places to boulder in the world, but it doesn't stop there. Add into the mix other... Read more

Wft 02 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article, Rob. Stunning views.

In reply to Wft:

Cheers Guy, get yourself over there some time - you won't be disappointed (plus I know how much you love sharp rock)

Wft 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Overhanging Dartmoor granite. Urgh. 

pasbury 06 Nov 2018

It certainly is a wonderful area - all the way down from Mammoth Lakes on the I395. I remember bivvying by some hot springs and bouldering at Deadmans summit where there was quite a high crag with a soft landing of pumice like rock chips to land in.

Thank you UKC!

on the back of that article, Mrs Paul in Sheffield has signed off a budget for long haul travel to a California road trip taking in Bishop. It looks brilliant!

paul

timjones 08 Nov 2018

A nice article about a great area but it's a shame that the fantastic trad climbing in the area has been omitted.

In reply to timjones:

It was omitted for a variety of reasons, the first - and arguably most important - being that I'd been out there for a month bouldering, not trad climbing. 

Whilst I'm all up for a generalised destination article, you've got to keep them somewhat focussed in order to keep them relevant, useful, and to the point. With the article at hand I wrote just under 4000 words, so it's far from short, and given the inclusion of the Mammoth Area Trad + Owens River Gorge Sport it would have likely doubled or tripled in size, maybe more. Each area - in my opinion - could do with their own destination article rather than all three amalgamated into one.

As a final point, I'm not 100% convinced how many people going out there on a climbing trip would be likely to swap disciplines. When the boulders are in condition much of the trad is above the snow line and when the trad is in condition the boulders are likely to be hotter than the face of the sun. A such it's a pretty unattractive proposition.

Either way, hopefully that explains the omission.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...