UKC

NEWS: BMC Officer Martin Kocsis pooed and spewed on Lundy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 18 Sep 2007
More news about the viral infection on Lundy courtesy of the BMC tells us the virus is believed to be airborne and not food or water-related.

But the climbing continues with Charlie Woodburn establishing possibly Lundy’s hardest route, an awesome overhanging crack line.

Read more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 nikinko 18 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

"the BMC are awaiting pictures"

MeMeMe 18 Sep 2007

Oi! I was having breakfast, I don't really want to hear about pooing and spewing thanks very much.
 edg 18 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: "And Neil Dickson is currently removing bolts from some routes on Black Crag, with the intention of climbing the routes without fixed protection."

And he has to *remove* the bolts to accomplish this? How does that make sense?
 nikinko 18 Sep 2007
In reply to edg:

so that he can use the bolt holes as finger pockets? ;¬
 Jon Read 18 Sep 2007
In reply to edg:
Oh come on, don't tell me you think the bolts should stay?
 John2 18 Sep 2007
In reply to edg: Agreed he doesn't have to. When Martin Crocker led Edgemaster at Avon without the bolt he taped a plastic bag over it then placed a banana skin on top. Lundy however should be a bolt free destination.
 slacky 18 Sep 2007

A number of us were struck down by this whilst on the island for a week a fortnight ago.

The "viral nature" was mentioned by staff who reassured us that a number of precautions were being taken to ensure it didn't spread further.

However, our suspicion as to how genuine this was, was aroused when they said they were putting anti-bacterial agents in the drinking water!!!

So where's this awesome overhanging crack line? Lundy has one or two of those...

jcm
angelap 19 Sep 2007
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to edg) Agreed he doesn't have to. When Martin Crocker led Edgemaster at Avon without the bolt he taped a plastic bag over it then placed a banana skin on top. Lundy however should be a bolt free destination.

Like the banana idea but why should Lundy be bolt free? I remember some pretty serious runouts. Wouldn't have minded the odd bolt here and there myself and it doesn't mean you have to clip them.
 Wil Treasure 19 Sep 2007
In reply to angelap:

Whether you clip them or not it completely changes the character and commitment of the route.

There's plenty of safe climbing to be had without them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...