UKC

NEWS: Bolt Wars Still Alive in USA......Ground Up or Top Down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 29 Apr 2008
How can one new route spawn 150,000 words of controversy?

Toby Foord-Kelcey takes a close look at Growing Up, a 2000' line on Yosemite's Half Dome South Face that is causing quite a stir in the American climbing media.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=04&year=2008#n43935
 John2 29 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: This is great. A news article on UKclimbing commenting on a thread on Supertopo and an op ed on Rock and Ice. Who needs to actually go climbing?
OP Michael Ryan 29 Apr 2008
In reply to John2:

You know climbers John! When they can't get out on the rock they like talking about it - WHEN THEY SHOULD BE WORKING!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Busy Mick?
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Busy Mick?

Very.

In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) This is great. A news article on UKclimbing commenting on a thread on Supertopo and an op ed on Rock and Ice. Who needs to actually go climbing?

Roughly speaking, that is the R&I op-ed's theme.

I was conscious of the self-referential nature of this assignment when Mick cunningly passed it my way and did fear that in the writing process I might disappear so far up my own rear that I became topologically-inverted. However ... perhaps this news item can just be viewed as a 10 months late report on a stunning new Yosemite FA with a bit of web commentary on the side?

In reply to Toby Foord-Kelcey:

It certainly makes our discussions on the subject of bolting pale in to insignificance. But what do I know, I'm just an old trad luddite. (wink)

Alan
 joe_alexander 29 Apr 2008
In reply to John2:
A news article on UKclimbing commenting on a thread on Supertopo and an op ed on Rock and Ice.

Its all very postmodern isn't it

Joe
In reply to joe_alexander:

But important not to lose sight of what this episode is actually about which has relevance anywhere people climb.

Will Hunt 29 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
I will refrain from entering the debate as I know little about the nature of American ethics and am a firm believer, though I have deviated from this in the past, that you should not spray about that which you know nought about.
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> I will refrain from entering the debate as I know little about the nature of American ethics and am a firm believer, though I have deviated from this in the past, that you should not spray about that which you know nought about.

Toby -where is the great essay about American vs UK ethics?

Tyler 29 Apr 2008
In reply to Toby Foord-Kelcey:

I enjoyed the 'news' article and as someone who is stuck in a US hotel room with some truly awful TV I'm pleased to have had my attention drawn to th thread, should take my mind off the fact that I'll be missing the Apprentice and Property Ladder.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Do you mean duncan's trad primer?:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=178001&tn=127

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...